How yellow is the new iPad screen supposed to be compared to the iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zooby, May 16, 2012.

1. zooby, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. Rodster macrumors 68040

I actually like the warm tint. It's similar to a Viewsonic monitor I have. It's different but I wouldn't say it's ugly and fortunately for me it's not distracting.

3. arranjenks macrumors member

Hi, i've had the iPad 2 in my house (mothers), and the new iPad (mine) and after seeing this i decided to compare the two for the 'yellow/warm' tint you referred too.
    After testing with both ipads & changing the brightness on both, i can confirm there is no yellow tint at all on my new ipad. However, the HD does come out clearer.

If it is yellow as you say, i would take it back to genius bar and have it looked at.

4. zooby, May 16, 2012

zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. gtmac macrumors 6502a

I still had my 2 when I got the new iPad, there was a huge difference but as long as I am not holding them next to each other, which I can't since selling the 2, it doesn't really bother me. I am as obsessive as many on here (not as bad as some) and I must have been very lucky my new iPad is great!

6. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

While I won't say all iPad 3s are supposed to have the exact same temperature (just meaning LCD displays tend to have some variance), it shouldn't be so noticeably yellow. Mine is definitely not yellow at all.

7. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

It's a bit subjective really, I would say my iPad 3 is warmer than the iPad 1, but then again the iPad 1 display was a little on the cool side.

8. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

So brighter means its better then, I couldn't use my iPad at max brightness, way too glaring and bright.

iPad 3rd gen

9. zooby, May 16, 2012

10. PrometheusGeek macrumors regular

I wouldn't say my new iPad (3rd gen) is "warm" or yellow compared to my iPad 1. I'd say the iPad 1 was blueish and my new iPad is not blueish.

11. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

If it's really that yellow, I don't think you need advice from a forum full of strangers. You need to just see if you can exchange it, because it should not be yellow, which to me sounds far different than just being "warm".

12. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Who said its supposed to be warmer? If yours is yellow to your eyes, it's yellow. Take it back. If you ask 100 people what their screen looks like, you will get 50+ different answers, none or which have any bearing on the iPad in your hands in front of your eyes.

13. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

Yellow is the new white as a Demi god has posted before.

If you see it , then no opinions really matter. Take it back and get it replaced. Yellow is not normal nor is any other tint.

14. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

My iPad 3 comes very close to matching the colors on my color calibrated monitor. This monitor is calibrated with a colorimeter on a weekly basis and I work on it several hours a day. This is what I am used to looking at, so it looks normal to me.

When I look at a iPad 2 or iPad 1, they look bluish to me. Compared my iPad 3 with my dad's iPad 1 and he said he much preferred his iPad 1 color, even if it was too blue. It is all a matter of what you are used to looking at.

15. zooby, May 17, 2012

16. slimjim.dj macrumors newbie

17. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Get it replaced. I've seen yellow ones, pink ones, etc. There are good ones out there with neutral white levels and no yellowing.

18. Rodster macrumors 68040

This is my first iPad and based on the OP's concerns I was looking for yellowish tint. I found none other than what some have described as a warm color setting.

I even adjusted the brightness up and down on a white background and no yellow tint was visible. The only thing I notice is on website links that are typically a cool blue are now a slightly off blue leaning towards purple but even that is subtle. And it's the same as the Viewsonic monitor I previously referenced.

When I crank the displays brightness everything looks very white.

19. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

You shouldn't see purple. Your screen is probably one of the pink tinted ones.

20. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

My ipad 3 also matches the color calibration on my monitor. The whites are white, not blue-white.

21. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Just to throw a proverbial cat amonst the pidgeons, I recently bought a refurb iPad 1 for my folks, and it had a distinctive yellow tint to it's screen.

To be honest I think it is actually quite nice. I'd choose it over a blue tint anyday.

22. zooby, May 17, 2012

23. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

24. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

To be honest neither seem to be in-correct - just different hues. If I was to be pushed I think personally I prefer the iPad 3 display.

25. slimjim.dj macrumors newbie