How's Your iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willmtaylor, Sep 22, 2012.

?

What was the condition of your iPhone 5 out of the box?

1. Looks great to me (no complaints)

143 vote(s)
    74.5%
  2. Minor things that no "normal" person would be bothered by (minor "scuffing")

34 vote(s)
    17.7%
  3. MAJOR quality control issues (dead pixels, non-working display, etc.)

11 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Other (please explain)

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

With MR being the place to be with problems, issues, gripes, or complaints, sometimes the minority becomes a VERY vocal minority, so while this poll is in now way scientific, I think it would be interesting nonetheless.

Vote, and if you like, explain.

2. SuperPuppy macrumors newbie

1st thoughts

So far, pretty impressed. The one thing I am noticing though is that for some reason, 802.11a seems to be pretty bad. My 5 keeps dropping off the access point in .11a mode. 802.11g works fine though. Its not an rf coverage issue, I am sitting with 4 other 802.11a devices on my desk they all have fine signal strength and never drop, just the iPhone 5. I might fire up a wireless sniffer later on and see what gives.

3. leenak macrumors 68020

No complaints from me. No marks, scratches, etc. Works fine all around.

4. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

5. JAJJV macrumors newbie

Losing service with iPhone 5

I am enjoying my iPhone 5 with the exception of service constantly dropping. Wireless cutting out, getting no service message. Lots of YouTube and text drop outs resulting, etc. I'm reading that its an iOS6 issue but am wondering if anyone here has anything to add?

Thank you!

PS My phone did arrive with a small ding in the metal back. It is what it is. Nothing is perfect.

6. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

As of now my vocal minority hypothesis is proving true. I know im just glad yo be rid of my feature phone.

My only gripe is KC's VZW LTE being freaking slow (5 up & 5 down).

7. matttye macrumors 601

Extremely pleased with it. Only thing I don't like at the minute is maps because there's so many errors, they're just not trustworthy.

8. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

9. mattkilla420 macrumors member

Only thing I noticed cosmetically is a scuff inside the hole for the headphones.

10. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

My friend, sister in law, and myself all at&t black 16gb 5's. ALL perfect.

11. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

And just to be clear, this thread is meant to discuss hardware, not software/iOS 6 issues; that's another forum.

12. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

No scratches, scuffs, marks or LTE lag to be reported. So far this baby is a dream. However, because of "scuff gate" I am a little afraid so I plan on buying the full body protection from Zagg

13. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I've had ZAGG before. I went with Bodyguardz this time.

14. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Which one do you prefer?

15. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Too early to tell. Lots of people having similar discussions over in the Accessories subforum though. I'll be updating over there when I reach a verdict.

Bottom line is, my iPhone shipped in perfect condition, and I aim to keep it that way.

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I prefer to use any new phone for more than just a few days before judging. A smartphone has too many features & functions to draw a conclusion so soon.

17. spiralynth macrumors regular

18. yang88she macrumors regular

x2 :d

19. willmtaylor, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The thread was really meant to elicit snap judgements on the initial "out of the box" condition of the phone; hence the poll options & examples.

BTW, weren't you ranting & raving about Apple's evil, corporate greed, Sir Ive sitting on his creative laurels, etc. and claiming you weren't buying an iPhone 5?

20. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

My power button rattles and there are 2 tiny nicks on the bezel. I absolutely love the phone! I only see/hear those things if I'm looking for them, so I'm just not going to look for them. The wifes has a few nicks on the bezel as well. Now it's in a case, so we'll never see them again. Mine is getting nothing more than a skin and screen protector, so the bezel will get some more nicks in time. This thing blows my 4 out of the water. My wife even noticed the difference, and she doesn't care about technology.

21. tys macrumors 6502

Impressed!
    I was one of the folks who really wanted a bigger screen, taller AND wider. I bought the 5 since I was eligible for AT&T subsidy, but had every intention of selling on eBay for a profit then holding out for something with a big screen.
    I couldn't resist playing with it though, and now I don't want to part with it!
    I think the quality of the new screen makes it seem larger than it is. It's much easier on the eyes somehow. I had to break down and take the plastic off to really appreciate it ;-)
    I really like the new connector despite being heavily invested in the old 30-pin.
    I'm going to keep using my unlocked, jailbroken 4S for a while since I'll be doing some traveling this fall an need to use foreign SIMs (can't rely on them having nano-sims yet, even if I unlock it) and iOS 5 public transit maps are essential for getting around unfamiliar cities.
    Hopefully when my travels are over, there will be a stable jailbreak, cheap after-market lightning cables and adapters, a plethora of stylish cases, better maps, and LTE in my hometown :)
    I had a couple tiny nicks on the metal backside right out of the box, nothing worth making a fuss over, but I think a case will be essential, as it seems a little more delicate, as least as far as cosmetics are concerned. I love the new design though, especially the white version, and its SO light and thin!

Nice Job, Apple!

22. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Same here haha. I'm waiting for the full body to come in the mail lol

23. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Absolutely perfect. Not a single complain..

After seeing so many threads on "scuff gate" and the such I really started to worry but after having it the whole weekend I realized I had nothing to worry about.

Happy iPhone 5 owner!

24. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

My 16GB Black-Slate 16GB is flawless, my GF's White 16GB had a giant nick when opening right near the lighting connector.

My Dads 32GB Black-Slate had a giant scratch on the sim tray.

I guess 1/3 isn't bad :rolleyes:

25. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yup. Things tend to get blown out of proportion here on MR; I guess it's our own "reality distortion field." :)