How's your life? What makes you happy?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Yumunum, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

This is a 2 part question.

1. What makes you happy? What is it that gives you joy?
    I'm thinking about deep happiness, not "I played video games and I was happy" kind of happiness.
    Is your joy based solely on the events in your life, or do you find joy in something deeper?

2. Based on that, how good do you think your life is right now? Are you genuinely happy?

Be honest with yourself. I encourage you to dig deep into your thoughts with both of those questions.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Cool idea for a positive thread Yumunum.

Lots of things make me happy but to pick the few that I do the most often. Firstly work because that's what where I spend the most time. I love my job because I can learn while I work every single day and will do so until the day I retire. I get to work with people (both in teams and helping others) which is fantastic. it gives me endless joy. I would not be happy if I didn't have a lot of interaction with others.

In my private life the things I like the most are science and understanding the natural world. I do a lot of exploring new bushland and photographing and seeking out all sorts of plants, animals, and fungi for instance. And then try to identify them. I like seeing new things, being with them, and trying to understand them. I would not be happy if I didn't have a lot of time alone.

I feel a bit guilty as I know there are so many people worse off than me but in all honesty my life is absolutely perfect for me. I wouldn't swap it for the world :).

(p.s. you didn't answer your own questions)

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

1) Making my girlfriend happy, just being near her gives me endless joy nevermind all of the things we get up to :)

2) Yes, I am genuinely happy as my life is basically amazing, couldn't have turned out better. I never suspected even for a second when I was a teenager that things would ever be so good. They say "it gets better" and it did for me, a whole lot! Even other aspects of my life are looking sweet, I'm very academically gifted and I'm in a position where I can essentially study whatever I like for the next few years then go into either academia or industry whatever takes my fancy.

Life's good, I certainly don't take it for granted as various things could screw it up in a heartbeat but I certainly appreciate how things are now every day. It really is a deep happiness I've found with my girl and I intend to treasure it and her as long as we can.

It really confuses me how so many people don't seem to have a rational approach to attaining their own personal fulfilment, I find it deeply strange watching people do things that screw themselves over, again and again and again without learning. I've made some real tough choices to get where I am but I certainly don't regret a single one, even if it's lost me a few friends.

4. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

:)

------------------------------

What do you work at? Sounds interesting.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

1) Coming home to my sweet dear wife. Just thinking about her makes me all tingly inside. She completes me as no one else ever could.

2) Since I have found my new life (I was divorced after 28 years of marriage) I am genuinely happy. I feel so very blessed that God sent her and her family to me. They say that love is bette the second time around and it is certainly true in my case!