Howto disable that "US Police Can Copy Your iPhone’s Contents In Under Two Minutes"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Quotenfrau, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

Hi

See this article.

Howto disable that? Protect against this data copy?

2. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

For what they are talking about in that article.. it's simple, fill the dock connector with Epoxy.

3. DroidRules macrumors 65816

How about you just don't give the police permission to search your phone. Problem solved. I don't see how they can do it WITHOUT your permission. It even says in the article "“Law enforcement officers are known, on occasion, to encourage citizens to cooperate if they have nothing to hide,”

I don't see in the article were it says they are doing it without permission.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Use an iPhone 4S and keep the firmware up to date with a passcode turned on. They cannot get any of your information if you do that. Other devices that are currently invulnerable include the iPad 2 and 3.

6. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Here's an idea, and I know it sounds crazy. Don't break the law.

Sounds simple enough.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I wished I was as naive as you, but considering that many parts of the country see walking down the street without being white a crime, it's not always that easy. Regardless, if the police have physical possession of your phone there's very little you can do, but it's also largely a moot point considering the NSA has direct server access to AT&T and other telecomms and can monitor all traffic that comes across their network. Also remember that you do not have to consent to search of your property or person if you are not being arrested. Know your rights and don't let the police try and intimidate you if you've done nothing wrong.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Do you have any sources for that? I'd be interested in reading them. Thanks.

10. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Your statement in bold is boldly incorrect. Or, let me clarify: None of whatever "evidence" is gathered can be used to prosecute you (fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_of_the_poisonous_tree )

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Old, tired and flawed argument.

12. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

False, Was at a convention last week in Washington DC (FOSE and GovSec) and they cracked my 4s that had a passcode in about 45 seconds. All they had to do was plug into the phone.

They had pictures, Cal, Contacts, incoming and outgoing calls (even the ones deleted) Voicemails and texts. They also have the ability to see texts from the app WhatsApp and Voxer.

was very enlightening

13. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted

What kind of passcode did you have, a four digit one or a long random complex set of words?

And did they say having the last type of passcode would defeat what they did due to it taking years to crack?

14. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

It didn't matter, we tried both the 4 digit passcode as well as using a random password created by a PW Generator that used upper lower number and special character and would not allow dictionary words. Both times it pulled the data from the phone like the password wash't even there.

Even tried it while the phone was turned off, it powered up the iphone and then pulled everything. Phone didn't even react while it was being scanned. FYI they scanned a Blackberry 97something (it was the new BB with the keyboard and the touchscreen) and it pulled everything as well. Scary part about that one was the BB needed a Bluetooth Dongle with the owners CAC card installed for it to work. The owner pulled his CAC and turned off the BT Reader and the phone dumped everything as well so this isn't just limited to iPhones.

15. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Oh ****. This isn't what I expect from apple. I always liked to think they were like a trusted Swiss bank.

16. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

It doesn't have anything to do with Apple, all code can be cracked. I will say that the price seemed high enough to prevent local LEA from having them in a patrol vehicle. More likely in a CSU or back at the station for processing evidence.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The only way they could have done that is if you gave them your iPhone before the passcode kicked in. If it is locked with the passcode, there is no way for them to get your data. Also, if the iPhone was jailbroken it is possible and even easier to obtain your data.

18. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

not true.. if the device CAN be jailbroken it is easier. not IF it is already jailbroken..

19. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

You all realize this applies to any mobile device right? Not just iPhone.

20. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Yes. But hope apple is the best of the lot.

21. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

Phone was locked not jail broken. An I also don't are if you believe me. Was sharing the info

22. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Say what you want. Fact is, myself and others who are well informed in such thing know that the iPhone 4S running iOS 5.1 cannot be broken into to obtain users' data at this time. Even Apple couldn't get a person's data off of one.

23. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

And you say what you want but I saw this done at the FOSE expo. 5.1 is not invincible and has been cracked for LE access.

24. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

You could only wish that the law was as clearly defined as a Wikipedia definition. But the truth is there is much more grey area and areas left up to the court.

25. bill-p macrumors 68000

Please look up the app called iFunBox.

Using that app, it is possible for anyone to pull any kind of data out of your phone in a matter of seconds, jailbroken or not. And it's not even a hacking app. It's a media manager (just like iTunes).

If anyone has physical access to your device, then your information is as good as theirs, no matter how you lock the phone.