HP DM3-1030US vs Base Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eddiehaskell, Nov 20, 2009.

1. eddiehaskell macrumors regular

I think I want a Macbook Pro, but then again, I will probably never fully utilize its power. Anyway, I'm thinking the DM3-1030US is sorta like the Macbook Pro "light".

Case - both are aluminum and look good (granted, the Pros unibody is nicer)
    Screen - both have 13.3" LED backlit
    Keyboard - toss up
    battery life - 6 hrs vs 7hrs
    Operating system - Win7 vs Leopard
    Price - HP is around $700 cheaper
    HDD - 320GB 7200rpm (HP) vs 160 5400rpm
    Processor - Pro wins in a landslide
    bluetooth - both have it

The HP has 4 USB and a HDMI port. The Pro has an optical drive, but I use CDs/DVDs maybe once every 3 months so that's a non-issue.

So if I spend most of my time browsing the internet and using Word, why should I spend $700 more on the Pro?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've had a chance to play around with the HP dm3 series. The build quality is solid and the hardware options are expansive with AMD and Intel sides.

It's up to you but if you're never really going to use the power and can live without OS X then the HP is the way to go.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

4. eddiehaskell thread starter macrumors regular

Not really sure...I've never had a problem with either OS. Granted, I don't do a whole lot other than basic stuff.

5. TSE macrumors 68030

I have the DM3-1030 base model with the specs in the signature.

What I can say is this:

The battery lasts about 5 hours on screen brightness to 40%, Wifi on doing web browsing including using a lot of flash. The build quality is excellent for a PC budget notebook, but the Mac still edges it out. The screen is average, it is bright and the colors are decent but the viewing angles are below average.

Strong points:

-For around 600 bucks, the base DM3 is a great deal
    -It has a 3200HD which rivals the 9400M G, about 10% slower
    -The keyboard is a chiclet keyboard similar to Apple ones
    -The build quality is excellent, and it is a great looking notebook
    -Huge port selection

Neutral points:

-Battery life, 5 hours or so is about average I'd think
    -The screen
    -The AMD Neo Dual-Core L335 is an equivalent to a low end Intel Pentium Dual Core which is nothing special, but it still uses less energy
    -Speakers - They give decent quality of sound but aren't very loud

Bad points:

-The trackpad, it isn't terrible like the reviews say, but it does take some getting used to, it took me about 2 weeks
    -The fans get noisey and the laptop does get a little hot while doing heavy tasks, but I still use it on my lap without too many problems
    -No optical drive - I realize that that is part of the reason why it is so portable, but it wouldn't have hurt it too much to include it, at least a USB one

Overall I would give this laptop an 8/10. I've had it since October 22nd, the day Windows 7 came out and this laptop, has served me amazingly thus far. :D

6. eddiehaskell thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, TSE. Thanks for the in depth review! It's good to hear an honest review from someone that owns this laptop.:)

7. TSE macrumors 68030

I think the deciding factor between these two laptops is: Is Mac OS X and having an optical drive and a little bit better battery life (Under Mac OS X) worth it?

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

well, you are giving up 700 mhz in speed

regardless of what you use it for, thats a pretty big difference...

cheapest i found the HP was $600, say another $50 for tax? = $650

MBP 13" is $1100 tax free, so more of a $500 difference...

if you are OK with Windblows, then I would say the HP is more than fine, i would kinda be leery about the AMD 1.6 ghz chip... no idea how it compares to an Intel C2D....

9. TSE macrumors 68030

For everyday performance it is just fine. I play iTunes, FireFox with multiple tabs open, uTorrent, and Openoffice up all at the same time and never notice any slow downs. It can play Youtube and Hulu fullscreen. As long as you aren't doing anything too processor intensive, it should be fine.

According to the link, it is above current low-end Pentium Dual Core processors that are popular in budget 15 inch computers. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+Neo+X2+Dual+Core+L335

10. eddiehaskell thread starter macrumors regular

The HP is $500 at Office Depot starting Sunday. The lowest I've seen the MBP for is $1170 on Amazon.

11. TSE macrumors 68030

It was $500 when Windows 7 came out too. Great deal. :)

12. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

then i would get the HP

13" MBP is $1120 at macconnection, no tax