HP just released a new USB-C Chromebook... who wants to try their dongle w/ MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by spaceballl, Apr 30, 2016.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi All,

HP just released a new high-end Chromebook (i know, i know... kinda an oxymoron, but I want one...).

Okay. Back to the Mac. The USB-C hub game has been a bit of a disaster, with the exception of Apple's first party product. I've tried so many that are flaky, low quality, etc HP came out with a cool USB-C docking station for their Chromebook. It officially says it's compatible only with their Chromebook... Anyone want to order it and give it a try? If it follows spec, it should work with a MacBook... maybe...

2. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Haha. Apples and oranges.
    1. I shouldn't have used the word, "dongle." The HP product is more competitive with "docks" like the not yet shipped Hydradock, Branchbox, OWC dock, etc
    2. That $50 thing you link to? I own it. It basically adds USB ports and passthrough power. The product I linked to has 4 USB, ethernet, HDMI, and displayport, along with passthrough power. Additionally, that device on Amazon gets REALLY hot when it's being fully used, as in if you have two USB devices plugged in and passthrough power.
    So yeah... they're not in the same league. For similar products, check this or this. Note that the HP option is actually the cheapest of the three.

4. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Wow, was so impressed with its capability I was about to order one. It's in stock on the UK store.

Except, guess how much it is in the UK? £215. That's $315. How on earth did they work that out?

5. iToph macrumors regular

What the hell? What does it make so expensive? Is this thing able to heal cancer or what !?

6. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

The only dock that doesn't cost £200+ is CalDigit's (that I can find so far) but it's not available until May/June. :(

7. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Despite it seeming simple, the USB-C / 3.1 chipset situation isn't completely figured out from a commodity perspective yet. If you look at all of the docks that launched on Kickstarter (Hydradock, Branchbox, Volta, etc), none are shipping yet. The only reliable product right now is the one that Apple makes, and it only provides a single USB port and HDMI for a connection. If you want displayport, multiple USB, ethernet, etc, you need to attach an additional hub / adapter. My understanding is that chip makers in China are getting there, but they're not there yet. My assumption is that HP probably took matters into their own hands and built something in-house, like Apple did.
    And again, I know I already replied to this comment once, but it's worth a bit more detail. I've had the MacBook since the day it was released, and I have gone through countless dongles and hubs. I have a 3 port + ethernet Anker hub that is fantastic and ultra reliable. It's also cheap, but it doesn't pass power through. Of the cheap options, the one you link to is the first one I have gotten that also promises to deliver power. However, despite the Amazon reviews being high, this thing is junk. If you actually use the power pass-through and plug multiple USB devices in, this thing gets HOT. Additionally, it can't charge the USB devices at full speed. If you plug in two iPhones, it will only charge one. Sometimes even if you plug in one iPhone, it will periodically disconnect. Meanwhile the power is finicky, and as I stated a few times, it gets REALLY hot. I'm assuming that all the positive reviews are because people either only played with it briefly, in which case it does work, or they were paid to review it.

8. BeatCrazy macrumors 6502a

Wondering how the (unreleased) CalDigit Dock fits into all this. CalDigit are way more advanced than your typical Kickstarter attempt.

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Finally displayport, power, and USB on the same port. Only took a year for a company to figure it out. Expensive though, this needs to be $50.

10. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

My HooToo works great for driving HDMI, 3x USB3 and SD reader. It's $80 on Amazon.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

You guys are insane if you think this is expensive. This isn't competing with a Chinese usb hub. This is competing with full docking stations from the likes of Lenovo, Dell, and HP that typically sell for $150-$300. And it's one of the first on the market with the features it has. If it works, and especially if it works with other brands like the MacBook, it's worth every penny.

Dell's version is $300. http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=450-aevm

12. psymac macrumors 6502

Getting DisplayPort out is the game changer for a simple hub vs a true dock IMHO, so buyer beware.