HP Laserjet 2550n not working with new iMac (10.5)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tjk99, Aug 8, 2008.

1. tjk99 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a new 24"iMac running 10.5. I have a HP 2550n Color Laserjet as part of my home network. When I setup the new iMac, the system found the printer on the network no problem. However, when I try to print with the new iMac, I get a "printer busy" error and it says it wil retry in x seconds. Other Macs can print on it fine (they are running 10.3 and 10.4). I've searched the forums and know HP is having driver issues with 10.5, so I assume that's my problem. I have tried it with 10.5 drivers that came with new iMac, deleted the 2550 folder in Library and loaded from original printer setup disk, and have loaded the latest drivers I could find from HP site. The error message is the same. Any ideas folks? Thanks in advance...

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

This is a stupidly long work around, but if you absolutely need to print to that printer for something, you can do it via windows. I have one of the few hps that don't have mac drivers. When I need to print something to it, I create a pdf, pop open parallels, and print using the windows driver. Yeah, I know. But it's a start.

3. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

You could try CUPS. Macs have the Unix utility, CUPS (Common Unix Printing Service) to manage/install your printers. Just cut and past the numbers 127.0.0.1:631 into your browser to access it.