Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Both Dell and Lenovo have been offering Linux OS for a while, and many netbooks offering linux as default too, I dont see whats significantly new in HP's move.

I would give it more consideration if HP stop offering windows tho.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Both Dell and Lenovo have been offering Linux OS for a while, and many netbooks offering linux as default too, I dont see whats significantly new in HP's move.

I would give it more consideration if HP stop offering windows tho.

Well HP does ship with with Linux...I took this as a "This is HP OS", where Dell is saying 'This is a Dell...with Ubuntu"

Either way, if it take away the monopoly, then I'm happy/

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
hehe, we will see if it works, maybe HP can offer some innovative idea that current linux OS needs, we will see.

c00lerness

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think HP makes good computers. Windows probably isn't really giving users the full potential of their computer. HP all ready has a lot of different products like printers, PDA's, etc... By making their own OS, it could be easy to make them work together.

I had an HP notebook before getting my first macbook. HP has the potential to innovate many ideas into an OS. For example, HP was one of the first company's to put a memory card reader into a laptop. Then everyone else copied. HP provided a little remote to fit in the express card reader and now I see other companies such as dell including their own version. HP put touch sensitive controls first and you now see them everywhere. There are more examples such as HP Quickplay and Lightscribe, but my point is, HP can innovate, but they don't get the credit they deserve.

I would like to see an HP OS. Windows has gotton most of the world. It's nice to see some competition.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
HP makes pretty good computers, and they are the granddaddy of Silicon Valley tech companies.

Even though this move to their own OS is still unofficial at HP, Apple users know that integrating software with the hardware works.

HP is certainly capable of producing a branded version of Linux that integrates Wine support for compatibility with applications that already exist, as well as perhaps some future Linux killer app.

IMHO the main thing holding Linux back is still ease of use concerning add-ons, drivers, and program compatibility. HP's control of what code and hardware they install would alleviate the first two, and the aforementioned Wine included with the install could ease the compatibility issue. Sheer horsepower could overcome any speed issues.

This is the danger of Apple abandoning the under $1000 PC market, that some other slick OS could slide in on low price and high popularity. Even the Triple Es are attracting attention with only Atoms and a fairly generic Linux in them.

caveat: I worked in tech support for HP for a while, but have used and owned Apples since before that.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Ouch, scathing reply

But, doing this to counter a threat from Apple :confused:

And the possibility that they may compete in the sub-$1000 laptop market with an easy to use OS soon.

Based on the time frame to get a project finished, doesn't sound like the expect Apple to compete with a cheap laptop anytime soon. :p

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
It's possible I would think, but HP would have to be really serious about it. Even with the right talent, I'm not sure if they wouldn't crap out somewhere along the line.

NEiMac

macrumors regular
THis sounds rather interesting, I do have my doubts about how serious HP is about this though. It will take a huge effort on there part to get people to consider buying this, and could kill there sells. Im thinking its more of a you can buy a computer from us online and you can choose are HP Linux for your os, which will be a modified version of Ubuntu that cost them almost nothing to make.

The Awesome

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
Philippines
If they take this seriously (as in, probably, INVEST a good double digit percent chunk of their money), it'd be really great for HP. They have some really nice PCs, AIOs, notebooks, tablets, printers, PDAs, PDA-Phones, servers etc. that would really benefit if they had some of Apple's envied coherence and usability.

Anyways, competition is always good.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
wait, there is another possibility.

By now I guess you all heard the splashtop, which is a mini linux on mother board, it doesn't replace windows, but users can boot into it much more quickly to perform many simple tasks such as internet, email, office, etc

I would advise HP to do this, much more risk free.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It would have been cheaper to just create a replacement shell for Windows Vista like they did for Windows 3. :D

Seriously, I do like HP-UX. Not enough to move from OS X (or Windows, for that matter), but it might gain traction in corporate data centers.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Based on the time frame to get a project finished, doesn't sound like the expect Apple to compete with a cheap laptop anytime soon. :p

If this thing is going to be based on Linux, it may only take 12-18 months. Heck, even in 6 months, they could release something. The reason this is possible is because Linux already works. It's just that nothing is simple for everyday users, that's all. In 6 months, they could "simplify" a version of Linux, but it would only partially meet their goal of offering a simpler OS for everyday users. In 18 months, they could have something much different to every other distribution of Linux today (e.g.: Ubuntu, SuSE, etc), and make it piss easy to do the really simple things that may not be so simple on some versions of Linux, such as playing mp3s. :p

Or this news may have been blown completely out of proportion. Maybe the OS in question is just like the simple Linux versions you see on the EeePC and such. :confused: Just offer 6 or so options on the main window, and let users go from there.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
As much as I'd like to see HP make an operating system, as it's already been stated (by them), it's still in the brain storming phase, so there's only a small percentage that it would ever see the light of day. I personally would love to see what HP could bring to the table, see what innovations they could bring to a market thats becoming more and more difficult to innovate on.

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
HP does make pretty good hardware, and you are right whoever it is who said they are innovative. But, I don't think they have enough experience in the software department. My last HP computer was from 2002 or so and it came with a ton of annoying HP software that slowed the thing down. I don't know if they can make an OS right off the bat that will compete with Apple or even Microsoft. I'm really interested to see them try, though.

Robertson1993

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
wish apple would rethink it policies, it'd be really good for companies like HP and Dell to offer OS X.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
wish apple would rethink it policies, it'd be really good for companies like HP and Dell to offer OS X.
I wouldn't mind if this happens, assuming they don't fall victim to the same problems that plague MS. ;)

That said, it's not likely going to happen. Apple currently obtains higher margins than their competitors, and they won't jeopardize this. :(

johnnyboy3

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
Hmmm.....HP making it's own OS?
I'm a bit skeptical.
HP makes a FINE machine, but I hate their approach to things, so I could see this being one big bomb for HP, and then they'll just crawl back to Microsoft with their tail between their legs...

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Hmmm.....HP making it's own OS?
I'm a bit skeptical. ...
HP has written its own operating systems for decades. HP-UX is HP's venerable port of UNIX. The Palo Alto company has written operating systems for its laboratory workbench data acquisition computers. It also owns the old DEC which wrote several top-notch operating systems, VMS/OpenVMS being the most notable. It's operating systems have not been geared to the wage slaves in the secretarial pool, but give HP a chance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.