Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

HP has added the iPod shuffle to its HP-branded iPod line as of today, and now sells all three types of iPods: the iPod, iPod mini, and iPod shuffle.

HP began selling iPods under its own name last year and added the iPod mini early last month. Prices match those of Apple, although the HP models sold still include the 30GB iPod, which Apple dropped last week as part of its consolidation of the iPod and iPod photo lines.

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
HP still sells iPods?

hehe, sorry dont like HP at all and never really understood why they started selling iPods

joeconvert

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2003
TX
qzak said:
HP still sells iPods?

hehe, sorry dont like HP at all and never really understood why they started selling iPods

Wait... Does Apple makeanything else these days?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
This make sense - if HP is going to sell the other iPod flavors, might as well sell the Shuffle as well. Hopefully this will lead to more sales for Apple, which is always a good thing!

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Consider HP the older inventory clearance depot for Apple, i.e. the 30GB ipod, etc. Apple's got the new stuff and shifts the things on their way out to HP. Makes sense to me.

Now if Apple made computers too, wouldn't that be something.. :rolleyes:

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Some_Big_Spoon said:
Yeah. Enough of the talk about licensing OS X to other computer manufactures. Just have them resell Macs.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
What's the harm?

What's the harm in this partnership? I don't get the objections.

* It helps Apple sell more iPods in more stores.

* It helps more people get iPods.

* It helps HP with their image, and they too make money.

* It doesn't hurt the people who buy them.

* It doesn't hurt the people who don't buy them.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Some_Big_Spoon said:

Just curious--what have iPods taken away from Apple's computer business?

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
nagromme said:
I don't think he is saying that iPods have taken things away from Apple's computer business with his statement.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
nagromme said:
Considering it's Apple's pride and joy now. It's the only thing the advertise for, new revisions constantly, price drops (2nd drop in about 4-5 months on the 60GB).

It's just nothing radical is happening with the computers lately. Only thing the laptops get is a super duper trackpad.

jon

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Oh boy, big surprise. It's not like we didn't expect this to happen. In some ways , I like HP selling iPods, but in other ways, I don't. For instance, I like the fact that Apple gets more sales from this deal, but I don't like the fact that so many people think that they are made by HP and they are different from the Apple iPods because they are PC compaitble. :rolleyes: But, I guess that's not really HP's fault, it's the stupid people.

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
iJon said:
Considering it's Apple's pride and joy now. It's the only thing the advertise for, new revisions constantly, price drops (2nd drop in about 4-5 months on the 60GB).

It's just nothing radical is happening with the computers lately. Only thing the laptops get is a super duper trackpad.

jon

Consider though that Apple has never heavily advertised their computers anyway (at least not to the extent that iPods are).

Also, when thinking about revisions, the iPod really hasn't had much significant since its release other than color screens, photo capabilities, and improved connections with accessories. Everything else is mainly software, form factor and disk size.

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Whyren said:
Consider though that Apple has never heavily advertised their computers anyway.

theres another thread i was just reading about apple ads, linked to a page here that has alot of older Apple ads, and there are alot of iMac ads. they definetly advertised the iMac alot.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Whyren said:
Consider though that Apple has never heavily advertised their computers anyway.

Also, when thinking about revisions, the iPod really hasn't had much significant since its release other than color screens, photo capabilities, and improved connections with accessories. Everything else is mainly software, form factor and disk size.
I know that they rarely but when they did it was great. And from the latest reports they are going to start a new ad campaign soon which should be a great way to reach the people. Now I don't blame them either for focusing so much on the iPod. Unlike a computer, this is a device anywhere between 100-400 that many people can afford, unlike computers.

jon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
iJon said:

The situation has gotten quite ridiculous. All they care about is the iPod these days. I just love this quote:

"iPods and podcasting were popular attractions in Apple’s booth at the 2005 National Educational Computing Conference in Philadelphia this week."

When the iPod is Apple's star attraction at an Educational Conference something has gone very wrong. How about updating the iBook and Mac mini? I've heard that some people buy iBooks for education.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
iJon said:
Unlike a computer, this is a device anywhere between 100-400 that many people can afford, unlike computers.
Everybody has a computer and everybody needs to replace their computer now and again. Not everybody has or needs an iPod though. Think about it.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Maybe Apple is smarter than we think. Perhaps they found that iPod purchases lead to more Macintosh sales than Macintosh ads do, at least in the consumer market. So selling/advertising/featuring iPods might be their best way to sell their computers.

For the education, business, and government markets, using iPods to get a foot in the door doesn't make as much sense, but those are markets where sales representatives, conference appearances, targeted specials and packing, and other means outweigh print/radio/TV ads as a means of selling.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
1984 said:
When the iPod is Apple's star attraction at an Educational Conference something has gone very wrong. How about updating the iBook and Mac mini? I've heard that some people buy iBooks for education.

All the arguments I see for the iPod being bad for Mac seem to boil down to something lacking on the Mac side. But how is that lack (in this case updated iBooks/Minis) a result of the iPod?

That's the connection that's always missing when people bemoan the iPod.

If the iPod is losing money and therefore takes away Apple R&D or advertising dollars, then that's a problem. (The reverse is true--iPods pay for themselves AND make a profit.)

If the iPod is designed by the same team that makes Macs, by taking them off of a Mac projects, then that's a problem. (Not the case. The Mac teams have not been diverted to the iPod.)

If the public/press pay less attention to Macs because they're paying more attention to iPods, then that's a problem. (Not the case--Apple gets more attention because of the iPod, and the iPod and Mac are not competing with each other. In fact, the halo effect helps Macs mindshare and sales greatly. And Macs/OS X get more press today then pre-iPod. Not less.)

Bitman

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
HP iPods get more exposure

Plus HP sells iPods to mass audiences... I see them even in CostCo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.