Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raptor Red

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Denver
While there have been hundreds of strange problems over the course of the week with this printer I'll try to stick to what I'm experiencing at the moment (I swear I get this thing working and a few hours later it's something completely new).

We have an office with 3 PC's (2 on windows 7 one on XP) and one mac (on leopard: my computer) and there's this printer, an HP laserjet P1102w.

The printer works (most of the time) when it's usb connected to my computer and sometimes works when usb connected to the XP computer.

Maybe 3 hours ago it was usb connected to the XP and wirelessly hooked to the network so I could print off of it using my macbook pro using bonjour. But now the wireless light is just flashing blue like it's trying to connect and eventually it gives up. On top of that the XP computer can no longer detect the laserjet printer (even after restarting and reinstalling driver) using the add printer wizard even though it's directly connected.

Is there something I've possibly changed where it cannot connect to the network? (I have printer sharing set under network options and my firewall is off) Our network is a WPA2 Personal password and username protected but under HTML utility config for the printer there are no areas to put in the network password, username or security type information. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Raptor Red

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Denver
update on the printer

Hey I appreciate the quick response. I have tried that a few times but to no avail. A little update, our USB cord from the printer seems to have a nick in it. Metal is showing and I'm not sure if that's enough to break the connection but I'll try replacing that first. Any idea how to get it to connect to the network? It doesn't give me that many options

cesn15

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
... Any help is greatly appreciated!

I have exactly the same printer as you. I would first advise you to press the cancel button until a page is printed where all the printer's information is found. Check the IP address there and use it to log in to the printers configuraton page using Safari or any web browser you use. In the configuration page assgin a static IP to the printer. I have had the exact problem as you until I did that.

Raptor Red

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Denver
assigning a static IP

Thanks I'll try that, what do you mean you pressed cancel till an info page printed off? Like it auto prints if you hit the red x on the printer enough?

Also, one of my printers (an officejet) is not USB connected to any computer, it's a stand alone but it can print wirelessly. Can the laserjet do that as well? or does it need to be connected to one of the computers?

cesn15

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks I'll try that, what do you mean you pressed cancel till an info page printed off? Like it auto prints if you hit the red x on the printer enough?
Yes exactly hold it for about 5 seconds and the printer will automatically print u an information sheet.
Use the IP address printed there to access it. Once you have the IP input it in your browser and under configuration assign an IP address manually this will definitely fix your problem. Once the IP is assigned delete and add the printer back in OS X using Bonjour and on any other Mac or PC you have.

Cheers

Raptor Red

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Denver
IP address and update

Hey there everybody, thanks again for all your help. Most recently I replaced the cable so now all the computers recognize it locally (for each one plugged into it) but not on the network. I did the cancel thing to get the device configuration page but it doesn't seem to have the IP address listed.

It has the hostname and SSID network name amongst many other things but no IP I could type into a browser. I feel silly to ask this but where is it on the sheet? It says IP configured By = Manual, maybe that was a mistake on my part?

cesn15

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
It has the hostname and SSID network name amongst many other things but no IP I could type into a browser. I feel silly to ask this but where is it on the sheet? It says IP configured By = Manual, maybe that was a mistake on my part?

Hey sorry for my late reply was kind of busy. I would advise you to plug it into your Mac and do a reconfiguration on the printer to be able to set your wifi SSID with the corresponding password and assign an ip manually. This will probably fix your wifi issue.

This can be done by openingsystem preferences then print and fax then printer preferences by clicking on the corresponding printer. There there is a tab where you can configure the printer I am not infront of my Mac to give you the correct name of the tab. If you need anything else let me know.

sspire

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2014
Yes. I also know that there are people like me who acquire the same printer search and find this info even today and can apply it to various machines and operating systems, meaning useful and updated information is still valid and helpful.

vikranth7

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2016
Last edited:
Reactions: satcomer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.