HP photosmart b209 SL & airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BigStrip, Jan 7, 2010.

1. BigStrip macrumors member

It goes through the whole install then no printer. If i install it with the downloaded drivers from hp, from the prompt from apple when the printer is plugged in, or from the cd that came with the printer (which only list v10.5 anyways) I spent two hours on the phone with hp and they said I need to clean up my computer, what? Not the problem. if I go to system pref and then print and fax, it says no printer selected, if I push add, it shows the printer connected to the usb and I add it, it goes through finding software, locates it and downloads it and says "successful", I click ok and then once again no printers are selected. If I go through the hp setup everything is fine till I get to the wireless part. It shows my network (with full signal strength) and then it says the network is not in range "retry" If I try to skip the wireless part it says it installs fine and I'm ready to go but once again no printers are listed. I google searched and read on a hp forum other people have had this same problem when using snow leopard and an airport extreme with this printer and they said to go to airport utility and under base station select "add wireless client". I do not have or can not find that option. Help?

2. BigStrip thread starter macrumors member

Got the printer working through usb, had to verify disk permissions then repair disk permissions. but still no wireless, hp says i need to find out how to put the WPS (wifi protected setup) pin into the airport extreme, can't find out how?

3. BigStrip thread starter macrumors member

Just got off the phone with apple, they say there is not way to enter a wps into a base station and even though this article:http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3500
    says there is a "add wireless client" button, the article is outdated and there is no such button or way to do this anymore, "wireless clients" are now automattically added or seen now. what?
    hp= no help
    apple = no help
    so now I have a wireless multifunction touchsmart printer that is not wireless!:mad:

4. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    This sounds like the issue I had recently when trying to install a new wireless all-in-one HP printer for a friend who had just bought a new MacBook. Bottom line is that we ended up returning that printer. Haven't had time since but in the next couple of weeks we're going out shopping again for a new printer and this time are (1) not going to consider HP and (2) not going to consider a wireless.

I'm sorry you've had such a hassle. It sucks!

What is really weird is that I recently bought a new Mac Mini and as I was setting it up I plugged in my old HP Photosmart printer to it, making myself a note about needing to download the drivers, etc.....and was very surprised to discover that Snow Leopard had immediately added my printer, no fuss, no muss, no extra effort on my part at all! Now why can't it be that easy for someone adding a new printer to a new Mac?!!!!