HP Takes the Simple Out of OS X.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thewallbanger, Nov 21, 2008.

1. thewallbanger macrumors newbie

Thought this was kind of entertaining. I have a two year old HP printer/scanner combo. I switched to Apple about a year ago and have been printing without any problems. However, during my first attempt at scanning a photo the scanner refused to cooperate. I troubleshooted on HP's support website, but questions regarding Apple were confined to email instead of live chat.

Here is the emailed response I received from HP with instructions on how to uninstall and reinstall software on my MacBook...

I think I'll just sell the printer on Craigslist.

2. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

Holy smokes! I'm searching the forums for advice on All in one devices for my Mum and came across this post. What a classic!

I've had a HP Photosmart 2710 and it's great. Well, I had a lot of problems with it when I was using PC, but the mac seemed to have no problems. Any way, if you or someone else can recommend a simple all in one with fax (apple store advertises the HP Photosmart C7280), that would be great.

Cheers!

3. Tibbar macrumors member

Actually, to truly uninstall many Mac softwares, you have to do something like this process. Mac users like to think that they can uninstall by simply deleting the App package, but really most apps leave behind a messy trail of user prefs and library settings.

I don't know when Apple will learn to make uninstallers standardized like Windows so that we don't have to rely on App Zapper or manual deletion. At least a few of the bigger companies like Adobe provide scripts that clean up the program prefs.

4. kolax macrumors G3

HP is just crap at writing software. Their laptops are very nice and the majority of their printers are pretty well designed. Just the software is utter crap.

I have an HP All-In-One, and I never use the scanning ability for the reason being that I don't want to install the software - the lightweight Printer utility works great.

I don't want loads of software thrown in that I can't choose to install or not. For scanning, a lightweight application that just what it is meant to do would be great.

Why can't HP ever produce something like that? They have so many background processes and half the time the processes are full of bugs and cause the CPU usage to go crazy.

There is a difference between installing stuff that contains drivers (i.e. the printer) and just downloading an application and placing it into your Applications folder.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That's probably what I'd do, but you'd still have all that garbage installed on you Mac.

The mystery is why HP thinks they have to run all those background tasks to support a printer, even one that scans. My Xerox MFP does all that without installing any garbage software.

6. Izzy macrumors member

I had the same issue with my HP Officejet 7310. The tech support people at HP were rude and unhelpful.

I gave the 7310 away and bought a Canon MP 830. The Canon has performed without a problem for over a year now. It seems to use a bit more ink than the HP but at least the printer/scanner combo performs reliably.

7. stmsfo macrumors newbie

Even HP Drivers Stink

I've had chronic problems with the drivers for HP devices for over a decade. Most recently: I "updated" the drivers to my HP 1012 laserjet printer a couple of months ago -- per an email from HP. Now, I have intermittent problems with it -- my MacPro can't see it sometimes. I've gone to the HP site to try to find a fix, or even to re-install the old drivers. The site is totally confusing and unhelpful. I also have 2 Canon printers. No problems at all with them. From now on, I'm only buying Canon. HP evidently has a long-standing corporate policy that drivers aren't important, and has under-invested in them accordingly, for years. So stop buying their products!

8. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Amen. I have and love Canon products, canon camera, printer, ink, hell, I even bought there paper :D They must really love me.
    Seriously though they are the way to go over HP. Although the software for my scanner on the printer is not flawless, it doesn't sound THIS bad.