HP Touchpad 16GB for $99 and $149 for 32 GB version

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aaronchow, Aug 19, 2011.

1. aaronchow macrumors regular

I know this is an Apple forum, but HP will reduce their now discontinued Touchpad for a low low price. Very tempting and will probably grab one tomorrow.

Is anyone grabbing one as well?

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I'm going to try. For $99, why not?

I'll be hitting up the local Best Buy, Target, and Walmart (in that order). Wonder if they'll have any.

3. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Office Depot is doing 129/149. I'm not a huge tablet guy, but I'll try--ordered one for in-store pickup for tomorrow so I have my name on one waiting for me...five minutes later, they were sold out. I was in Best Buy this evening when they pulled them from the shelves :p

Abyssgh0st: Best Buy USA pulled all inventory from the floor tonight around 7.30PM Pacific. They are not available at any price there, nor online at their website. Unless something changes overnight, you can cross that place off your list.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apparently, all online stores are already out of stock (although this deal was supposed to start today).

5. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

6. mike31mets macrumors member

i ended up getting the 32GB model from HP about 15 minutes before they sold out. got it for $137 after using a coupon.

i'm not big into tablets, but at that price, sure why not? i'm hoping HP keeps their promise and continues to develop webOS. on a side note, some fans are already trying to get android on it! so it'll get some use one way or another.

7. saving107, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I got mine from Walmart (in-store) a few hours ago. I was out with some friends and got home around midnight, and before going to bed I decided to check out twitter and I noticed several people posting this news and everyone was saying that this was only online.

Then I noticed one tweet that said that Walmarts on the east coast were already dropping the price in store, so I decided to drive to my local walmart 10 minutes away. They had 1 available and the price had not dropped yet, but the manager checked and the price was pending in the system to drop soon, so he gave it to me for that lower $149 price.

I have an iPad 2, but $149 for an HP Touchpad 32GB, I figured why not.

8. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Does this firesale apply to Canada as well? If so I'm loading my car up right meow and grabbing 2!

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

10. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

11. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The question I still have is what can you do with it? Can you watch movies from iTunes? TWC app? Ebooks? How long before you can put Android on it? Even at $99, I still need a use for it.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

At that price, there'd is simply no reason why not to get one.

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

For $99, everyone is going to find a different use for it.

Since I have an iPad, I am more likely going to give the HP Touchpad to my brother. He has an iPod touch 8GB (2nd generation) and so for him, that fact that it has 32gb, he'll be able to watch movies, listen to music, check his emails and browse the web either when he's at home or for when he travels. He's aware that their won't be future support for the touchpad and that the app selection is not their, but for $149, he's ok with that.

14. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I'm not ok with that.

15. Sankersizzle, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

I don't understand how if this sale started at 1 in the morning today, how every store in my 50km radius is already sold out before they opened. Have I missed something...? I was so excited to get a tablet (finally) to compliment my 17" MBP (THAT IS PORTABLE ALL YOU NAYSAYERS :p). I was going to get an iPad2 this week, but this $99 Touchpad deal nearly made me sex wee myself.

I stayed up all night (9:09AM meow) so I could go to the store early and they have sold out while the store is closed, I hate everything and everyone.

And before anyone asks, yes, I mad.

16. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Yeah, I've already gotten that a couple of times in my search this morning..."I'm sorry, but I sold the last one/few before we opened this morning". It's an odd response.

17. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

^^^

I know that every time zone is different, but I got online around midnight and most of the tweets I read about the sale were from 5-6 prior, so for my time zone that would have been around 6-7pm, most stores close around 10pm. So I think they may have sold out before they closed that night.

Or many stores are simply just returning stock to HP and is clearing the inventory to reflect "Out of Stock", this is what Best Buy in the US is doing. sysiphus above stated that Best Buy pulled inventory from the shelf around 7pm and now Best Buy has posted this:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compute...ls/pcmcat250800050019.c?id=pcmcat250800050019

18. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

I have just gotten dressed and am going to go to a few of the stores and yell (not angrily) at employees who have nothing to do with this and will have no idea what is going on until someone hands me a touchpad.

Either that or I'll buy an Galaxy. Either one is good. But in all seriousness, I'm going to check in store.

19. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

So what stores have this offer?

EDIT: The three BestBuy stores near me have it in stock, but their prices are still high. Not the $99 one.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Been watching/reading this, and there is one thing I don't quite fathom.

Why are they pulling them from the shelves, instead of dumping them? Second thoughts by "someone"?

Are they sending them to 3rd World Countries, rather than let you buy them?

Perhaps that action protects the pricing on their other products of that type?

Thoughts please.

21. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Just called a local BestBuy and apparently all their websites are wrong, this store had 22 in stock. He said there was a line, and I'm headed there now. Hopefully I'll return with a shiny new Touchpad :)!

22. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

^^ I think BestBuy got pissed off that they ordered so much, and then HP dropped it, so they're sending them all back at the same price that BestBuy bought it from instead of selling at $99/$149 for a loss.

23. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Did you confirm the lower price?

24. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Seems like they are pulling them to send back to HP. I know in my line of work (golf course management), when a manufacturer discontinues a product (such as a golf club line), I typically have the option to ship all remaining stock back for credit, or take the "net down" credit (credit to my account to offset the markdown) and sell for the new retail price. I usually opt to just take the net down credit and sell through the stock, unless I feel the stock still isn't going to sell at the close-out price. Maybe that's what's happened here...the stock managers for some of these chains sending stock back to HP based off low sell through at the original price, and assume people still won't buy at the lower cost.

I doubt Best Buy would be selling them at a loss, even if they did sell the TouchPads for $99/$149. As I stated above, typically when a manufacturer discontinues an item and cuts its price, they offer a "net down" credit to the retailers that choose to keep the stock. HP wouldn't make Best Buy eat something they (Best Buy) had no control over. At least I'd be totally shocked if they did!

25. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Yep, they were selling it there for $99. All 22 sold out by the time I got there, so you're looking at the proud owner of an iPad2 :)