HP ZR24W... The only 1920x1200 IPS Display for under £350?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NStocks, Oct 8, 2010.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

So I'm looking for a decent External Monitor for my Macbook Pro... I've searched the internet and forums quite a lot and looked up the different types of panel technology.

For sure I want a 1920x1200 resolution because they have much more working space and also meet the resolution of my Macbook Pro, which may make things easier. I also find that at this resolution, things don't appear stretched.

Furhtermore, I have looked at TN panels and IPS panels as can clearly see the difference in colour accuracy and overall quality. Not to mention viewing angles.

So with this in mind I checked out the 'regular' online stores (Dabs, Ebuyer ,Amazon etc.) and for what I want, only the HP ZR24W is priced below £350.

I understand my budget isn't that large for an IPS display, but I originally set out to spend less than £200 but I can almost justify more money for the quality...

Any Ideas?

Thank You

2. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

3. dissolve macrumors 6502a

The only cheap, decent quality IPS panel I know of is the Dell U2311h, but it's 1920x1080. Unfortunately, a lot of companies have dropped to this resolution so they can market "Full HD" to consumers who don't know any better (but that's a rant for another occasion). You may need to look at refurbs to get a 1920x1200 in your price range. Check out the Dell 2408wfp on their Outlet section.

4. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I figured that why 1920x1200 are more expensive... it's out of the 'main' consumer market. Strange though I find because 1920x1200 is higher than 'Full HD' anyway (right ?).

I think the HP is a good monitor, maybe a little deep and lack style (compared to MBP) but it's feature-packed... I guess if I want colour accuracy then I will have to pay the price. The DELL U2311h look amazing and I was sold when I first saw it, but after looking into the specs I realised its 1080 which isn't what I want.

Thank you for your input.