HS and Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Wando64, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Wando64 macrumors 6502

Wando64

I use TM regularly on both of my Macs.
    If I update to HD can I just carry on backing up on the same TMs or do I need to reformat the TM and start from scratch?
    Keep in mind that one of my Macs will convert to APFS while the othe will not (fusion drive).
    What have you done?

2. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

When I updated HS and it changed to APFS, I was not able to use the old TM backups. I had to start from scratch when it went from HFS to APFS.

3. madrich macrumors 6502

madrich

I do not think you are right. From what I read you can still migrate your old files from TM to HS. The files migrated over will be converted to APFS, but not on the TM.

4. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I updated a MacBook Air and a MacBook Pro both to HS and converted to APFS
    Both are using Time Machine and just keep on working as before

5. Dominat0r, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018

Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

I believe you can use the migration tool but I could not use it to image my machine back. Also when I entered time machine the app, it grayed out everything from the older backups.

If you try and use it on 2 different machines, I believe it will ask you to inherit the drive, which will tell you it can only be used with that machine now.

6. Wando64 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wando64

First of all, thanks to all responders.
    The opinions seem to be conflicting, and I am trying to differentiate from experience vs opinions.

If I am interpreting the responses correctly, it would seem that it is possible to continue backing up to the same TM, however all the old backup might become unaccessible.
    If this is correct, then frankly it means that TM needs to start again from scratch.

Keeping a backup that cannot be accessed is simply pointless. Might as well reformat the TM and start again.
    This would be unfortunate as the whole point of a TM is that you might notice you need something a long time after it has been changed/deleted.

7. madrich, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

madrich macrumors 6502

madrich

Older backups are grayed out because they were created under a different OSX.

8. Sciuriware macrumors 6502

Sciuriware

TM and any other off-line volume is just a bundle of data; you should never have to format unless:
    - a disk format type is no longer supported (that's not the case),
    - the disk is in such a disorder or corrupt that you can't use it any more.
    The only thing that will give rise to problems is that system files and app's may not be restored
    when they may have become incompatible with a newer OS.
    So, TM should always serve as a backup for your own files and in case of disasters
    you might perform a total restore.
    ;JOOP!

9. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

As I have already mentioned, I upgraded a MBA and MBP to HS and they both converted to APFS
    Both are using Time Machine
    I did not have to make any adjustments, they just continue to work

I just entered TM from a year ago and restored a file with no problem at all

I will admit I have not tried to restore the full system from a prior TM backup

10. Sciuriware macrumors 6502

Sciuriware

Forgot to tell: my MacBook is APFS, our iMacs are still HFS: no problem sharing the TM.
    ;JOOP!

11. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

When you connect the TM drive to the 2nd machine, does it ask you to "inherit" the drive?

12. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Mine use separate TM drives: one at work and one at home

13. Sciuriware macrumors 6502

Sciuriware

My TM is shared between 3 machines and permanently connected by UTP (Ethernet).
    Never seen such a message ...
    ;JOOP!

14. crjackson2134 macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

In my personal experience, TM will continue to function but will lose the ability to restore a full drive to a bootable condition. TM of old origin is unable to Bless the restored drive, so it's not bootable.

It is easy however to still use migration of Apps/Data/Settings to a APFS drive freshly installed.

I find that Carbon Copy Cloner is far more powerful and useful that TM. The change to APFS prompted me to look for a better solution than TM, and CCC was the answer for me.

15. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

I ended up using Superduper myself. Worked great.

16. crjackson2134 macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

Another good BU alternative...

17. Sciuriware macrumors 6502

Sciuriware

SuperDuper! and CCC are great and both can now restore a full drive, but ...
    ... I don't see you deploy it every day, because it requires manual intervention.
    Besides, when you have run them, the 'past' on the backup volume is lost.
    TM, on the contrary, is a typical background tool, enabling you to go back 1 hour, 2 hours etc. during development.
    So, the combination of SD!/CCC + TM is ideal.

Btw.: using SuperDuper!, I copy only the system and 'hot' files (40Gb) on a rotating set of USB sticks, once a week.
    ;JOOP!

18. crjackson2134, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

crjackson2134 macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

CCC does not require manual intervention. It depends on how you set it up. Turn on the snapshot feature for one, also set scheduler for automatic backup tasks. It will even sleep the computer, invoke other scripts, shut it down, or reboot. You won’t be kneecapped at all with CCC. It has so many features it takes time to explore them.

Everynight, mine does a full backup on 2 different drives, creates a full image on another drive, then shuts the computer down. In between those times, it can make hourly (or whatever interval you select) snapshots. AND You can use TM on top of it all, but I personally find TM slow and unnecessary for my setup.

19. Sciuriware macrumors 6502

Sciuriware

Thanks for the info; I stand corrected.
    ;JOOP!