HS vice principal in my town refused to let students watch inaugeration

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Eric Piercey, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

One of my wife's riding students, a HS student as well, told us her vice principal went from classroom to classroom Tuesday morning to insure no classroom was watching the presidential inauguration, and forbade it be viewed. I suppose it's possible she'd make something like this up, or exaggerate it, but this is Elizabeth, CO we're talking about; an extremely conservative hick town near Denver. I can well believe it. Racial and just generally ignorant anti-Obama/Liberal comments are thrown about with pride everywhere you go. These are the kind of fun loving people who wear shirts and hats with Obama's face in sniper-scope crosshairs, and make jokes about the Statue of Liberty being replaced with Aunt Jemima. Lucky me. Anyway, a HS VP actively preventing students from viewing something both as historically significant and relevant to education makes me want to vomit. I'm trying to substantiate the girl's story, but wow.. the outrage if true. In my HS they made inaugurations mandatory viewing for every student, regardless of the pres taking office. I just needed to share that.

edit>public school

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Eric, please try to verify this. It seems like exaggeration on the part of the student to me. I find this extremely hard to believe.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree seems a little exaggerated

4. Eric Piercey thread starter macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

If the story checks out I'll be picking up the phone, as heads should roll. And yes it sounds too incredulous to be true. Why would someone in education do something as glaringly likely to get not only themselves but the school into hot water.

5. remmy macrumors 6502a

Is this a standard thing in schools in the US, to show the inauguration?

6. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

My professor didn't even show up for class that day. He just assumed none of us were coming lol. We raced to the cafe and sure enough the entire school were assembled. I go to Community College though...in Brooklyn hee!

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- any large event like this will usually be shown in schools.

8. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

When I was in elementary school we watched a live feed of the Challenger shuttle launch. :(

Lethal

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

some do some do not.

Personally I think some one is just blowing this out of proposen,

The inaugeration was a lot of show boating like normal. If it was so important for the kids to watch not like it hard for them to record it and it easy to find a full broad cast of it on the internet so they could still watch it after the fact.

The world did not stop for the inaugeration. Most people still had their jobs to do and things kept on going. School is the kids jobs so missing it to keep going on in school so be it.

WATCH IT LATER.

No like any schools showed either one of Bush's inaugeration and I know my HS made a point of keeping the TV off after 9/11 and the teachers were told to go about the day as normal.

The OP is making a big deal out of nothing.

11. Eric Piercey thread starter macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

You're entitled to your opinion. I happen think it's a big deal for kids to have a clue how government works, and also to witness historic moments as they unfold. Furthermore, to actively prohibit this in a public school is enforcing ignorance.

12. remmy macrumors 6502a

You cannot simply blame this onjust politics and the divide between republican and democrat, surely she just wanted the students to study and not be distracted.

I can't remember any important event at school being shown, except 9/11, but that was purely due to someone else hearing about and turning on the news, in other words it was not planned.

13. aquajet macrumors 68020

If the story turns out to be true, then certainly the question must arise in your head, why did the vice principal of this school not allow children to watch what was perhaps the most significant presidential inauguration in American history? Most of us know how deeply cynical you are and how much you categorically hate anybody who wishes to serve in public service, but surely you realize that it could be an excellent opportunity for discussion in the classroom, right? Is government not part of the curriculum in public schools?

BTW, I guess you didn't notice that millions of people actually did stop to watch the inauguration. :rolleyes:

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

Agreed. I cannot ever remember one time where we watched the news during school. Teachers have a job to teach the curriculum. It's a distraction from the learning environment which school is supposed to be. When your boss requests that you not do something, it's best to not carry out said action.

It doesn't have to be completely political.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Valid arguments have been raised, but, seriously, how can you even imagine a better Civics lesson that this? :confused:

16. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Seems rather strange to me. If the students wanted to watch it they should record it not waste school time watching TV.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If Elizabeth II's coronation were done today, I would venture that it would be shown live, in every classroom in Ol' Blighty.

18. calculus Guest

calculus

I hope they'd get the day off so they could go and do something useful instead...

19. gibbz macrumors 68030

I might cede your point if this were any of the other inaugurations from past years.

This is historic, though. The U.S. just elected a man from ethnic roots that our country enslaved for many years and not even 40 years ago would spit on, beat, and kill just because his skin was black -- 40 years!!! That is pretty darn recent.

It was a monumental inauguration for the U.S., politics aside, for these reasons. To say that watching something like that in school is wasted time is pretty funny considering all of the mindless crap kids do nowadays.

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Were they allowed to watch previous inaugurations?

If so then there's an issue, if not then it's probably just policy.

21. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Can't agree more with the above.

if it such a valued event record and teach/discuss it in the associated class.
    There are enough distractions Teachers face every day.

Why was this such an important civics lesson that needed to be seen at the moment it happened?

Was the speech news worthy? sure
    Do I think the country should have stopped to watch it? NOPE....

22. aethelbert macrumors 601

What about in the Great White North and countries like Australia, such as New Zealand? She's your queen, too!

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I've emphasized this part of your story because I see a glaring problem that most of the detractors here aren't noticing; by doing this, the vice principal attempted to control the curricula of every teacher in the school, something that is very rarely in the power of a vice principal.

If this story turns out to be true, then I think your best bet would be to contact a local ACLU office and have them investigate. If nothing else, the ACLU will at least look into the matter and have the legal muscle to investigate more thoroughly than you as an individual can.

If the story isn't true, ask yourself why your wife's teenage friend was willing to lie about this.

In either case, someone's isn't on their best behavior.
    Maybe not standard, but I certainly remember our 8th grade history teacher telling us to watch the inauguration of Bush in 2001 (it was on a Saturday that year), and this was in a liberal suburb of San Francisco.

It's a good opportunity for teenagers to see how transitions of power work in the US; we have arguably one of the most fascinating transfers of power in the world. That is worth learning about at any age, and especially in one's teenage days.
    Teaching rarely has such momentous events as this one, though. Using it as a learning opportunity can be valuable in more ways than one.

Most teachers budget for a few days to be lost anyways, and I couldn't think of a better way to "lose" one day's worth of curriculum than seeing history happen.
    Technically vice principals don't have managerial authority over teachers. They are primarily intended to serve as student discipline caretakers and handle other administrative tasks. You can make a case for a principal telling a teacher not to teach something if he/she feels it goes against district policy, but the true decider of educational standards remains the local and state school boards.

Since the decision made by this vice principal was based on curriculum, it's a dubious claim that he/she had the authority to order all teachers to suspend showing the inauguration.
    In this case it certainly seems to be.

Why stop all teachers from showing it if they so desire? They are the masters of their classrooms. To restrict them without good reasons seems to be overly political.
    The OP's post doesn't seem to mention if the students themselves wanted to watch it, but rather that the teachers were prevented from showing it. Two very different things.
    The problem is school district policies on such matters can change quite frequently, and can be very dependent on the individuals in office. One principal may be fine with it while another may not be. If the school board hasn't weighed in, there might not be any standing rules on the subject.

That also invites us to consider if this policy is new, created shortly after November the 4th.

24. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Unfortunately you are probably right, and I would do just about anything to avoid the torture that would be watching it. I imagine the children at school would do the same.

25. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Teachers are forced to be so ironclad locked to a curriculum that they can't plan a 20-30 window months in advance so their students can watch a significant historical event on TV? Aren't students encouraged to be on top of current events anymore? Education should be about more than just prepping students to do well on standardized tests.

Lethal