Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BMWNEW

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
Moscow, Russia
Well, HTC One X, which has just been announced is wonderful, isn't it?
720p IPS 4.7 screen, quad core Tegra 3 CPU, good design, ICS, Sense 4.0.
I am a current 4S user, but... This is fantastic! Is there a reason (except iOS) to stay on an iPhone? Nethertheless I am an Apple fanboy :apple:, this phone makes me crazy! :eek:

P.S.: anybody knows when is it going to be possible to buy this one in the UK, and where is it better to get one without contract?

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Is this the one where you can't get LTE with the quad core? The LTE variant comes with dual core, no?

naths

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Bristol.UK
P.S.: anybody knows when is it going to be possible to buy this one in the UK, and where is it better to get one without contract?

Early april on contract mate....and the usual suspects, Handtec are usually pretty good....although the samsung SGS111 will be out around the same time, or early may at the latest, sammys one of the Olympics sponsors so will be out well before they start...

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Yes. The same dual core that does just as well against the Tegra 3 that doesn't have LTE integrated into the SoC to reduce power consumption.

LTE model also comes with only 16GB of storage. With no MicroSD slot....that's a deal breaker.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Comparing a current gen phone with one that hasn't even been released yet. Because that always brings the best comparisons.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I wouldn't buy it for the simple fact that it has "beats audio" so proudly stamped on rear.

Stupid celebrity endorsed mediocre crap.

The phone itself I am sure is an amazing phone.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I'll speak for the Android community (although I am not a part of it), when I say, "don't worry, it's not as good as you think".

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
All I can say is make sure you try using one extensively before you commit. I bought an Android phone and have regretted it many times. The number one problem is that apps are terrible and there is little to choose from.

Also the phone may see only see one or two minor software updates before being abandoned.

Android simply isn't very well designed compared to iOS, and is full of annoying things. For example in the browser, if you zoom in on something, the text will reflow causing the thing you zoomed in on to be pushed off screen, and you then have to scroll around to find it. Also zooming in isn't intelligent like on the iPhone; on iOS if you double tap on a paragraph or a photo it will zoom until that paragraph/photo fits the screen, on Android it just zooms a preset amount regardless of whether that means you're zooming in too far or not far enough. Another annoying thing is the gmail app will not let you zoom out on emails, so if you have an html rich email you cannot see it how it should be displayed and you are stuck zoomed in.

I could go on and on forever, Android is full of quirks that Google doesn't seem bothered to fix. Sometimes my phone rings but the screen won't turn on so I can't answer the phone, sometimes I have an alarm set but the alarm won't show up so I can't cancel it without restarting the phone, often near the end of a month the calendar will forget the order of the months, so I tell it to go to the next month on from March and it jumps to May. Why? I have no idea. Does Google care? Do they even know?

Some people can overlook these annoyances but for me the next iPhone can't come soon enough lol.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Comparing a current gen phone with one that hasn't even been released yet. Because that always brings the best comparisons.

The iPhone is not even 6 months old yet and the next one is looking to be 6 months out. Sorry but Apple has to play with these phones and should be compared directly to them. They are at the same price point.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
All I can say is make sure you try using one extensively before you commit. I bought an Android phone and have regretted it many times. The number one problem is that apps are terrible and there is little to choose from.

Also the phone may see only see one or two minor software updates before being abandoned.

Android simply isn't very well designed compared to iOS, and is full of annoying things. For example in the browser, if you zoom in on something, the text will reflow causing the thing you zoomed in on to be pushed off screen, and you then have to scroll around to find it. Also zooming in isn't intelligent like on the iPhone; on iOS if you double tap on a paragraph or a photo it will zoom until that paragraph/photo fits the screen, on Android it just zooms a preset amount regardless of whether that means you're zooming in too far or not far enough. Another annoying thing is the gmail app will not let you zoom out on emails, so if you have an html rich email you cannot see it how it should be displayed and you are stuck zoomed in.

I could go on and on forever, Android is full of quirks that Google doesn't seem bothered to fix. Sometimes my phone rings but the screen won't turn on so I can't answer the phone, sometimes I have an alarm set but the alarm won't show up so I can't cancel it without restarting the phone, often near the end of a month the calendar will forget the order of the months, so I tell it to go to the next month on from March and it jumps to May. Why? I have no idea. Does Google care? Do they even know?

Some people can overlook these annoyances but for me the next iPhone can't come soon enough lol.

what android phone do you have?

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
That's worth about as much as an android fanboi coming on and say "hey.. even thought i don't know dick about iPhones, they suck11!!"

I'll speak for the Android community (although I am not a part of it), when I say, "don't worry, it's not as good as you think".

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Actually the battery may not be that bad ... in fact some reviewers have already seen it perform exceptionally well for whatever short time they had the phone...

The quad core sounds like a power hog but you have to understand 2 things -
1. ICS is way better in power optimization than what you have been used to in the last year
2. The Quad Core is actually "5 Cores" ... i.e. 4 Cores + 1 PowerSaver core
The Power Saver core is what will be running most of the time (so its mostly single core) ... and the quad cores would kick in for intensive purposes like gaming and highdef videos, etc only ...

I can bet it will perform at par with iPhone 4S atleast ! (With all the new added h/w)

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
The way Android works, this phone will be obsolete a month after it is released. Probably by HTC at that!

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
The way Android works, this phone will be obsolete a month after it is released. Probably by HTC at that!

Obsolete? Will it stop working when something new is released? I'm thinking the Evo 3D was the last HTC 'top tier' phone they released...which, by the time the ONE X releases stateside, it will be about a year. Which is about the same time between the Evo and the 3D. Bout the same as Apple goes, no?

Not to mention, the 4S was pretty much obsolete before it was even released. Just because Apple hasn't stepped up and released a successor, doesn't make that fact any less true.

----------

Have you gone mad? :confused:

Obviously the battery life of the HTC One X will be complete crap :rolleyes:

A mere 1800mAh to try and power Android, LTE, a 4.7 inch ips screen, and quad core will be laughably bad :p

I agree that I was a little disappointed by the size of the battery when I saw the specs. But why do you have the quad core (plus one for power saving) as a negative impact to the battery? Isn't the point of faster processors to accomplish tasks more quickly thus not draining the battery? Also, the US version will be sporting a 1.5ghz dual core, not the Tegra 3...which makes me more eager to try it out.

And my main reason for replying....the battery life on my 4S is hot garbage. So even if the ONE X isn't stellar, not like I would notice a difference.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011

HTC is narrowing their focus to a smaller number of models produced each year; this year it's going to be HTC-X and their variants..... Should extend its EOL time by a bit, HTC won't be stretching itself thin by Trying to keep multiple phone models up to date.

Of all of the Android phones, I've liked the HTC flagship phones the best; their UI was always my favorite.

As far as battery life goes, they're getting better. My EVO3D battery life was on par with my ip4s.

There are good and bad about the platform, and even some things that it does better than iOS (blasphemy).

I may try this beat out.

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
i see some battery test and it's embarrassing :eek::eek:

3e8f9886-0cd3-ad9b.jpg

3e8f9886-0ce3-b6b0.jpg

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
HTC is narrowing their focus to a smaller number of models produced each year; this year it's going to be HTC-X and their variants..... Should extend its EOL time by a bit, HTC won't be stretching itself thin by Trying to keep multiple phone models up to date.

Of all of the Android phones, I've liked the HTC flagship phones the best; their UI was always my favorite.

As far as battery life goes, they're getting better. My EVO3D battery life was on par with my ip4s.

There are good and bad about the platform, and even some things that it does better than iOS (blasphemy).

I may try this beat out.
That's what I was getting at. HTC, Motorola, Samsung, etc. All release 5 different variations of the same phone that by the time you get one version, the upgraded version is being released. Sensation, sensation xl, skyrocket, skyrocket hd, razor, razr maxx, etc...

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Obsolete? Will it stop working when something new is released? I'm thinking the Evo 3D was the last HTC 'top tier' phone they released...which, by the time the ONE X releases stateside, it will be about a year. Which is about the same time between the Evo and the 3D. Bout the same as Apple goes, no?

The latest iOS from Apple will run on an iPhone (or even an iPod Touch) that's nearly 3 years old.

How many Android phones can run ICS?

Both were updated in October.

While and Android phone will continue to work after something new is released, it likely won't be upgraded with new features, abilities, OS as they become available... unlike the iPhone. So no, it's not nearly the same as Apple goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.