Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 20, 2002
I am trying to create a video CD, one where a viewer can open a document, and using a standard web browser, can browse through photos or html pages like on a standard unix box. But how do I refernce "links" or photos?

ie, top level is always denoted with "/" so a `jpg' file to be referenced from a web site may appear as "/images/family/ben.jpg" in its corrosponding html format

but how do I do it from the cd drive, the cd being the top level?

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Don't use absolute directories - use ".." to ascend the directory tree.

E.g. If the CD is the root drive and you want to make a link from "/blue/red/yellow/index.html" to "/images/family/ben.jpg", instead of referencing "/images/family/ben.jpg" in your "img src" or "a href", you would use "../../../images/family/ben.jpg". The first ".." puts you in /blue/red; the second one puts you in /blue; the third one puts you in /; and from there you can start to descend the tree again.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
actually, as long as you have a folder named "images" in the top level of the cd, as well as the index file, "/images/family/ben.jpg" will work just fine. just imagine that the cd is a folder with your index.html file at the top level (or wherever you're going to put it) and just make all of the references relative to that point. you can copy all of the files to the cd and open them up in a web-browser before you burn it just to make sure that they work (even edit them right on the cd).

big

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 20, 2002
I tried that on the cd, but not as an image *doh*

good call, I'll ty 'em both tonight, thanks guys!

anymore hints or tips?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.