Huawei has immediately lost access to Android and Google

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Tsepz, May 19, 2019.

1. Tsepz, May 19, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2019

Tsepz macrumors 68030

Tsepz

Well that was great while it lasted, glad I did not cancel my upgrade, may have to get a S10+ or maybe it's time I went iOS full time.

https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-loses-access-to-google-android-987873/

---------------
    Moderator Note:

Also see the discussion in the news thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...g-off-huawei-following-u-s-trade-ban.2181984/

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

3. michael9891 macrumors 65816

Looks like I'll be switching phones very soon before my £900 purchase is worthless.

4. Tsepz thread starter macrumors 68030

Tsepz

I am looking into a 256GB Apple iPhone X S Max at this point.

If Google can be forced to do this, they could do it to the next great Android OEM that's from another country the USA no longer likes.

5. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

This Trump really is something. All the people who bought Huawei smartphones or computer could be in for quite some anger if this is true..

https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-loses-access-to-google-android-987873/

Google has suspended business operations with Huawei effectively immediately, a forced move that will have a dramatic impact on Huawei devices across the globe.

According to Reuters, citing a source close to the matter, Google was forced into suspending business with Huawei that “requires the transfer of hardware and software products.”

“Huawei Technologies Co Ltd will immediately lose access to updates to the Android operating system, and the next version of its smartphones outside of China will also lose access to popular applications and services including the Google Play Store and Gmail app,” Reuters noted.

This effectively means no further Android security updates for devices new and old, including the recent P30 and P30 Pro, Mate 20 Pro, and many more.

Google’s actions come after the U.S. Commerce Department’s announcement on Wednesday, which placed Huawei and some 68 affiliates on a so-called Entity List, a trade blacklist, following an executive order signed by U.S. President Trump.

This is the same list that ZTE was added to and subsequently removed from, over the course of 2018, which caused it massive disruption. Huawei is now effectively forbidden from buying parts and components from U.S. companies without U.S. government approval – which includes Android.

This is, of course, a massive blow if the story is accurate. One of Huawei’s arms, its HiSilicon chip

division, had stated it has “long been ready” for any ban, while Huawei has previously mentioned it has been preparing for six years or more for any ban of Android. Honor, a sub-brand of Huawei, had been set to launch the Honor 20 on Tuesday May 21, in London — it’s unclear what will now happen.

The Chinese giant said in a statement earlier this week that it was “against the decision made by the Bureau of Industry and Security of the U.S. Department of Commerce.”

Android Authority has contacted Huawei and Google for comment.

6. Tsepz thread starter macrumors 68030

Tsepz

512GB S10+ may be the way to for me to though. Hmmm.... [​IMG]

7. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

OnePlus will be exempt because they’re sold in T-Mobile stores I would assume.

8. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    That is disturbing.
    Wonder if this is tied to the Trade "negotiations"?

9. Tsepz thread starter macrumors 68030

Tsepz

OnePlus is part of OPPO, not Huawei. OnePlus will be fine for now, but who knows who else the US gov will go for.

10. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

Android is open source, so Huawei may have to put in some efforts on customizing it and possibly offer the open source version of android without any Google app or service. But the whole suspicions of Huawei trend is slowly getting out of hand.

Attached Files:

11. lavrishevo, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019

lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Welcome news. Shady and corrupt corporation. It's a shame because the device itself was actually pretty good. Well, as they they say... Mess with the bull and get the horns.

12. michael9891 macrumors 65816

I was looking forward to seeing the progress Huawei made over the next 2 years, given how far they’ve come recently.

13. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Imagine China retaliating by not allowing any Apple OS updates in China for all Apple products in China :confused:

14. Tsepz thread starter macrumors 68030

Tsepz

Same here, but politics ruin everything.

The interesting thing is that I had it in my gut that something loekt his would happen, this P30 Pro and Mate 20 Pro felt unreal, the incredible Battery Life, amazing fast charging, constantly fast UI, amazing cameras, they were reaching on dream smartphone levels, they were doing things I wish Samsung would do.

But politics seems to be taking it away.

Hopefully they find their way around this.

15. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

I meant more so based on being Chinese.

16. Tsepz thread starter macrumors 68030

Tsepz

Oh yes, indeed. I guess the aim is to ban ALL top Chinese tech giants and label them as corrupt and spying, which is hilarious, considering who is signing the orders.

17. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

South Korea are not a threat to the US so I think Samsung are safe. South Korea and America are allies anyway.

18. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

Yep lol. People on reddit are hoping OnePlus isn’t next. Trump hasn’t heard of OnePlus lol

19. Tsepz thread starter macrumors 68030

Tsepz

South Korea and Samsung definitely is not a theat to US tech companies as they rely on them heavily, whereas Huawei was going on being heavily Vertically integrated, as they use a lot of their own tech including big ticket components like SoC and Modems etc...

20. Blaze4G macrumors 65816

Doesnt Huawei and the Chinese government have really close relations?

*places tin foil hat on head* I personally believe all the reports of Huawei spying is made up by the US government because Huawei has been growing exponentially.

Big blow for Huawei. If I'm Chinese government I will be like oh yeah?! Well you can't make iPhones in my country.

21. jamezr macrumors G5

jamezr

I saw this coming a while ago.... Lots of cyber security people have said this was going to happen.
    They do make some great phones though :)

22. Tsepz thread starter macrumors 68030

Tsepz

Will be interesting to see how the Chinese government reacts. Going to bed now, with an iPhone X S Max 256GB sitting on checkout

My company relies on almost everything Google, so if my P30 Pro loses any sort of connection with Google I am screwed.

23. Cnasty macrumors 68040

Cnasty

What!?! Really worried about my OP7 now.

Crap, are people thinking OP is next? I am still within my return window at TMobile. Luckily it's ok their site for purchase and assume I am safe for now but who knows.

24. Blaze4G macrumors 65816

I am also curious how they will react. China has the power to cause major problems for the USA / US businesses.

Not fair for Huawei owners. To think just a few years ago Huawei was making phones for Google.
    --- Post Merged, May 19, 2019 ---
    OP7 has no affiliation with Huawei.

25. Cnasty macrumors 68040

Cnasty

I know this but they are a Chinese company like Huawei