hubbys phone used 189MB of data in 2 chunks, while we were asleep

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LapsangSouchong, Feb 8, 2012.

1. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

On the phone with AT&T now trying to figure out why his phone would use 189MB (yes MB) of data at night while on wifi. (yes, I know there are delays, but still). I just got an overage alert on his phone and checked the bill and was stunned. AT&T credited me $30. while they try to figure out what's going on.

And yes, the usual suspects (diagnostic data etc. are off).

And, no, he typically uses between 50 and 75mb a month, so it's not normal even with reporting delays. And having it appear as ONE transfer is not normal.

2. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Only thing I can think of is maybe a streaming app was still running in the background (like I heart radio/pandora)

3. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

4. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

He doesn't have any. And we're on WIFI.

----------

It was a given that someone would feel the need to say this.:rolleyes: Yes, he was sleeping. NEXT TO ME.

5. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

i am a little lost, why do you care if you are on wifi, are you capped to a certain limit on your normal wifi as well?

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Haha nicely done.

OP i've heard some "phantom" data usages at night too. I just turn off cellular data for that reason. Good luck finding a fix though ...:)

7. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Therein lies the issue. We have wifi at home. He has wifi at work. He normally uses like 50MB a month. So yeah, to get a 189mb download showing up when we're on wifi is perplexing.
    ATT will say there are "delays" for dl's showing up, sure, but never 189mb at a time!

----------

We definitely get phantom data charges, but not an entire months worth of data in two chunks. Phantom data is usually a couple of meg here and there. Not 100mb and 89mb!

8. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

this is #ATTfail scam they pull. Much like the old speed traps in small country towns where they scam you for all of your money.

#ATTfail only offers a small data plan, then your phone goes over that plan without you even using it= Overage fees, yes you called but 4 out of 5 just pay.... scam= casholla

9. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Yeah, the timing of it is fishy: they've done away with the 200mb plan, and keep sending me emails "suggesting" I up hubby's plan to a new plan. and then BAM he gets an overage? And then I get another "consider a bigger plan" email...so yeah, I called. :)

10. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

ATT just called back. Due to delays in reporting. blah blah blah: your husband used 100MB in a day, and 89mb in a day WHILE ON WIFI. So I'm canceling hubby's data. He's fine with that. We'll tell ATT he's on a flip phone and I'll switch off his data. Which was what we did for the first six months he had the phone.

11. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

You can't do that. iPhone's are required to have data plans. They will not allow you to cancel.

12. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

As I said, I've done it before. I told them we were switching him back to his flip phone, and have changed it in the account on line. I did this for six months in 2011 while he was "trying" my iphone 4. He's not on a contract. He's just a user on my account.

13. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Well good luck then. Hopefully they don't find out. I have heard they can tell and will automatically put you on a data plan.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Not going to work. They will see the iPhone imei number and automatically put a data plan on your account. Isn't there a on the iPhone to turn off cellular data in the phone settings.

15. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Yeah, I've heard that as well, but it was never an issue before.

Regardless: I'm appalled that they think this is fine and normal. And I'm certainly not going to fall for it and up his plan. He doesn't even need data, much less, an expensive plan.

----------

yes, of course there is. But why would I then pay for data? It worked for 6 months in 2011. I'll try it again. I had his cellular data OFF and had his phone listed as a flip phone and no one said a word.

16. theman510 macrumors 6502

I had a similar issue. It still isn't resolved. You can check out my long winded rant here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14228110&postcount=239

I've left messages with AT&T and have had many discussions with them. It was acknowledged to me that they know this "phantom" data usage is occuring and they are currently gathering reports to collect and take to the high ups whoever that may be.

17. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

We're yours 100mb at a time? I've never seen that before.

18. mantan macrumors 68000

So let me understand the logic being employed here.... AT&T screwed me (allegedly). So I'll lie to them and use the phone outside the terms of the agreement.

People are quick to grab their torches and pitchforks when they think AT&T (or another carrier) is jacking them around....But they have no problems being deceitful when it's in their own best interest......:rolleyes:

Folks were quick to demonize AT&T for (allegedly) being untruthful/deceitful wit the data being used, but when the shoe is on the other foot....just sayin

19. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

So what's your suggestion?

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Let me understand this.

Your iPhone used 100MB via 3G or WiFi ?

21. 808? macrumors 6502a

Blame the data fairy, she takes chunks of data from your iPhone while you sleep. :D

22. theman510 macrumors 6502

Yup. 400-500 MB being used at one time while I'm asleep

23. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

Tadros86

You're ridiculous. Everyone has the right to do with their property what they will. If he is NOT in contract as she stated, then there is no fault at telling them he is not on an iPhone. Why have to pay extra for things that aren't needed? If he were under contract, then this would be a whole different argument, but the key factor is, there is no contract. No contract = no agreement.

24. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

We are on wifi 90% of the day. It was on wifi. Something is wrong.

----------

Update: husband got home and I looked at the phone and talked to him. It's now at 400mb of download and 29mb upload. He says he does NO streaming while on 3G but did watch bike repairs vids on youtube while on wifi the other night. A few hrs before those two huge data dumps. Id forgotten about that. It was an hr or so of bike vids in YouTube.
    A question: has anyone heard of an issue with YouTube or an issue with it losing wifi while streaming? This is so odd.

25. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

Tadros86

If you're sure he is under WiFi, then ATT is screwing you. You'd be better off canceling the data so it doesn't happen again. That's just ridiculous.