Huckabee laments H1B abuse

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Feb 19, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Meanwhile, Obama is increasing the number of H1-B visas and playing Orwellian word games.

3. 1458279 Suspended

4. sodapop1, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016

sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I guess all of that constant bickering by the Republicans about free market capitalism is bunch of BS. Now, they want the government to regulate the hiring practices of companies. A slippery slope towards Big Government. :eek:

The new mantra of the GOP, "We believe in free market capitalism as long as it benefits me".

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

This is a GOP issue?

6. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Which party is always advocating free market capitalism? If that is what the GOP truly stands for, then why are these blowhards like Huckabee complaining about the hiring practices of companies like Disney? Maybe he is just a RINO. :D

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well in a truly free market companies would be able to hire whomever they want without regard to immigration status or nationality, so I would assume the GOP should be all for allowing companies to hire any worker they want even if they aren't an American.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

This is a very complicated issue.

Huckabee is right (I can't believe I just wrote that) to point out the fact that some companies abuse the H1B visa. Probably the most notorious case is that of the Disney employees who were asked to train their own replacements.

But abuse of the skilled employee visa program is something that companies do - not law makers. Maybe we need to address the law behind the H1B visa to make it harder for employers to game the system. But the reality is that, very often, a company does need someone with a unique set of skills, knowledge, contacts, etc. to be able to come and work legally in the United States. That obviously wasn't the case with Disney. But I can certainly see it happening in finance, banking, and some other fields.

9. 1458279 Suspended

Bill Clinton was the one to sign NAFTA and yet I heard it was in the works before he took office. So it seems to be a mixed interest. Both sides seem to be harping on "middle class" because they didn't get a ride on the recovery bus.
    From an economic standpoint, this is a huge hit because we don't get the income taxes from better jobs. Also, we should be training Americans for jobs that can't be filled before we hire others.

Someone once said that if the illegals crossing the boarder were lawyers and news people the Dems would vote to build a fence. For most it really just pandering for votes.

Maybe we should H1B visa everyone in Washington... at least they'd be cheaper to bribe.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

when democrats pushed NAFTA and TPP yeah, it's somewhat up to republicans to protect the American worker :D

11. 1458279 Suspended

I'm not sure where Cruz and Rubio stand, but I'm pretty sure Trump would slash the H1Bs. I'm a bit concerned about Rubio, I like most of what he says, but I'm not sure how thoughtful he is on his feet.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Cruz & rubio seem to be no better than Hillary, tell you what you want to hear, Trump? he will tell you what he wants regardless of your feelings

13. 1458279 Suspended

I'm not sure I agree with that. Hillary has no limit to what she'll say.

Cruz and Rubio probably listen to the polls, more Rubio probably, but I doubt they'll pander like Hillary does. Hillary knows no limit to what she'll flip-flop on.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I know you love to blame everything on liberals, but once again, you're wrong. More Republicans (76% of them) in the House voted for it than Democrats. Same for the Senate.

As for TPP, who gave Obama fast track authority?

Both these deals were bipartisan.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ok, then BOTH crap houses suck.....