Huffington Post: Clinton expected to suspend campaign tomorrow night

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jun 2, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/02/clinton-summons-top-donor_n_104715.html

*impatiently awaits spin from stevento*

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I really wish she would agree to the VP spot. That would assure Dems win in November. Don't think she'll ever accept that though.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have my doubts she'll quit. There's nothing in her behavior I've seen so far to indicate that she will. She'll try to pull a fast one first.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's not a concession speech, it's a victory party. She's going to win all of the delegates awarded tomorrow, and all of Obama's superdelegates will desert him at that point and flock to Clinton.

All it takes is a little faith. And falling in love with your candidate.

She brings nothing to an Obama ticket. There are better women to put on the ticket, should Obama be seeking a female. She doesn't help him win the Northeast. Her negatives are sky high. She'll turn of a lot of independents who are leaning towards Obama right now. She doesn't have anything he needs.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, it's just possible that Reid and Pelosi talked to her and Laid Down The Law. There are, I'm sure, enough undeclared superdelegates to seal this for Obama. It would be the smart thing for them (Reid & Pelosi) to quietly tabulate who's for Obama, and then tell Clinton that it's just not gonna happen. Who knows, maybe they're even talking deal for her to take a post in Obama's administration.

And if that doesn't work, there's always the threat of withdrawal of support from the Democratic party. It's been done. Ohio AG Mark Dann, whom I talked about a while ago, was threatened with that by his own party if he didn't resign.

Incidentally, I agree with mactastic about "VP Hillary", and also about a woman in the Veep slot. Geraldine Ferraro? I don't think so. Diane Feinstein? California liberal...verboten to Republicans. Claire McCaskill? I like her, but she's even greener than Obama. I don't actually know which woman to recommend, but I do know that picking the right woman as a running mate has got to appeal to a lot of voters.

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I don't think she's a good choice. She brings very few benefits to the table (maybe Arkansas, but it's not like Obama would lose NY), and comes with a ton of liabilities (the name Clinton is a strong motivation for GOP voters who may not be enthused with McCain to go out and vote, and I do hate to say it but a woman/minority or minority/minority ticket will have more problems than needed this election cycle).

Well if she wants to have any chance at keeping her political career active she has to stop the public attacks and headline grabbing by crying disenfranchisement for risk of convincing enough voters that the Democrats somehow screwed them over and helping McCain in November.

She can certainly pull a fast one by going behind the scenes and courting super and pledged delegates but none of it has to try to enrage the voters any more than they already are. If she doesn't start working for an Obama win (or at least giving a strong enough impression of working for one that no one would doubt her motivations) her political career will be a victim to some up and coming Democrat the next time her Senate seat is up for election. Sort of like what happened to Lieberman, but I think even more vulnerable due to the possible repercussions of a McCain presidency.

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

She's got Michigan,Florida,Ohio and Pennsylvania.;)

8. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

She got MI because it was a flawed election, if Obama were on the ballot, he could have possibly won it. He won't need FL to win if he picks up some states in the west which she won't get. OH and PA are likely going to be Democratic no matter who wins the primary

9. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Oh, you don't need him: she is obviously not suspending her campaign. This is the moment she has been waiting for. She will summon Howard Dean before her and, using a ritual sword forged especially for the occasion, behead him before the assembled masses. She will then seize the Bejeweled Sceptre of DNC Chairmanship from his fading grasp, hold the sceptre aloft in her right hand and the head in her left, and decree herself both the new DNC Chair and the nominee to a fanfare of trumpets, peals of bells and a mighty fireworks display. The crowd will cheer madly as the Rules and Certification Committees are brought before her in shackles to affirm her ascension. They will never be seen again. Light buffet with cash bar to follow.

10. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i think he meant in the general election.
    according to polls by states (http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2008/Clinton/Maps/Jun02.html), right now she would rack up a lot more candidates against mccain, although Obama has been closing the gap steadily in the last couple of weeks, and now he also would beat McCain.

However, i am sure that when there is a single nominee, the numbers will be even better

Attached Files:

11. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I meant in November too. He seemed to be under the assumption that because Clinton won MI, OH, FL and PA in the primary, that Obama wouldn't win them in November.

12. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

funny nbcnews says no staff cuts are planned.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24929616/
    I wont lose faith, but I will say this, I admire and thank Hillary for giving him absolute hell all the way to the nomination. I would expect no less of her.

edit: never mind, i take it back.
    Clinton spokesman says she wont quit
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/06/clinton-spokesp.html
    Obama will likely claim he is nod tomorrow even if he doesn't have 2118 delegates so whatever she has in store needs to happen right now. because if he claims victory tomorrow, then she gets enough supers, it'll look like it was taken away from him.

13. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, she'll need the staff to help raise some cash to pay off her 20 million in campaign debt.

Uh, what the hell would you expect them to say? "Yeah, she's quitting tomorrow, so don't bother voting in MT and SD" She has NOTHING in store

She may not accept 2,118 as being the magic number, but that is what the party has accepted, and should Obama reach that tomorrow, he is the nominee, plain and simple. She can bitch and moan all she wants, but she will not be the nominee, and I hope that if she does not concede after Obama reaches that number, the party forces her out of the race.

14. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

there are lots of reasons to admire hillary clinton. the way she handled her campaign is NOT one of them. in fact, i found her campaign to be a divisive, irresponsible political chameleon, a day late, a dollar short, and downright enraging in it's zeal to borrow from the karl rove playbook.

going from presumptive nominee to sore loser and managing to spend yourself into 20 million dollars of debt at the same time is something to be proud of? making disgusting comparisons to the FL/MI situation and selma is something to be proud of? fostering the belief in your supporters that your opponent's victory is illegitimate or due to misogyny is something to be proud of?

"giving him absolute hell" is something to be proud of? reverend wright? bittergate? the ******** about "disenfranchisement"? you're PROUD of this?!

the way hillary clinton has acted over the past two months is an absolute shame; a blemish of selfish ambition that will color her legitimate achievements when historians consider her career. proudly riding the disgusting undercurrent of appalachian racism to meaningless, pyrrhic victories is something to be proud of? to hell with that.

but hey, at least obama caught hell for daring to run for president. thank god for that, right?

15. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

but i am proud that despite what the pundits say and despite what the numbers look like, she is resilient (sp?) enough to be that b**** that just wont go away.

well that's what all the pundits have been saying for months.....

16. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

stop saying that. that's NOT what the pundits have been saying.

what they've been saying for months is that she couldn't win. turns out they were right.

17. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

the pundits have constantly speculated as to when she'd quit and said that she has no chance and said these last states don't matter!

18. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Good for her. She fought hard but the next four years, whoever gets it, won't be pretty.

I definitely want to finally see Obama and McCain hit the mats.

McCain too much defense - Obama too much creating more govt. is what I've heard so far.

19. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

why are you so insistent on this? the calls for her to resign have been GREATLY exaggerated, chiefly by clinton herself in an effort to remake the "experienced, day one" candidate into the "rocky, never give up" candidate. it's a myth.

the chuck todds of the world have been saying that she couldn't make up the delegates since it became clear after texas. they've said all along that she'd win pennsylvania, kentucky, ohio. they knew that wasn't enough. they were right.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So you agree that its over?

Hillary on the ticket as VP would ruin any change Obama has, not only would a black man/woman ticket be to much for a lot of people but Hillary will turn off every sane voter in the country. The best thing for Hillary to do is fade away and never run for anything ever again.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Will someone please show "That Woman" where they keep the swords. :p

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It does indeed look like things are wrapping up for Hillary:

From The New York Times:

From CNN:

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Neither would I expect less of her. That's why I've never liked her. She's like Bush- just a different side of the same coin.

24. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

it has always looked like things were wrapping up but she's still here 3 months later...
    look, i don't know what is going to happen tomorrow but i do know Hillary put up an amazing fight and got
    more votes than anyone in any primary ever . and she should be proud of herself for getting this far. she is my candidate. she is my nominee and she is my president. and 17,673,328 other people agree. she's not a pushover, she's a beast.

25. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

fixed that for you

Obviously she's going to get more votes than everyone if she was the only one on the ****ing ballot!