Huffington Post: Dysfunctional Democracy- Zero Blacks in the Senate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 184550, Nov 3, 2010.

1. 184550, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

184550 Guest

Usually I don't bother with the crap posted by sites like The Huffington Post, however, given the number of times this article popped up in my Facebook newsfeed, I thought it might be worth a mention here.

This article centers on the lack of any African-American Senators in the US Senate. The article then goes on to talk about the Tea Party and their position on the 17th Amendment of the US Constitution.

Overall, I think that the author assumes that the Tea Party has powers well beyond any realistic means or measure. By the end of the article, the authors fails to mention any remedy to address the lack of African-Americans in the Senate.

What would the author have America do? Affirmative action for public office?

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Perhaps there are not many African-Americans like MLK, with the gravitas to buck the system?

They see White-Americans with conviction, get spit-out all the time by "The System". So they get on with their lives, without holding public office, raise families and contribute to the society in their neighbourhoods.

3. 184550 thread starter Guest

IMO, that argument doesn't really hold water any more, given that we elected Obama two years ago. I remember not being able to turn on the TV without a station interviewing an African-American who was saying how anything was possible now.

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

That article is divisive link bait. More page views for the HP. Sites would use racism as an explanation for automobile sales or the gypsy moth if they could.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Democrats could vote 'em in as well as anybody else.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Statistically, with so few seats up for grabs, it had a fairly high probability of happening.

7. 184550 thread starter Guest

Completely agree.

Again, completely agree.

8. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

The best way to rectify this would be to institute proportional representation of votes. It has been found to dramatically increase minority representation.

9. 184550 thread starter Guest

Sounds a bit like affirmative action to me.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

it seems you missed it; his proposal is in his article;

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

No, proportional representation is most often depicted as a situation where votes are collected on a party basis and seats are apportioned according to each party's vote percentage.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'll admit that I haven't read the article, so if I missed something here, I apologize.

You'd create a separate senate seat just for blacks? What about Latinos? They represent a far greater percentage of the population.

We simply need to accept that social progress happens at an agonizingly slow rate. I don't believe we're a color blind society. But the solution is time... not altering the system to accommodate a race.

We are closer to equality today than we were 5, 10, or 25 years ago. Let's just keep plodding along in the spastic two-steps forward, one-step backward gait that we've been walking now for centuries.

It will get us there... eventually.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

While he was focused on blacks, his point was that by having districts, minorities, blacks in his examples, but it could just as well be latinos, would have a greater chance of getting elected.

I don't think it's a particularly feasible idea myself.....but I thought it was worth pointing out that the author did in fact offer up a "What would the author have America do?" solution in the article

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Hey. A solution is a solution. :D

15. 184550 thread starter Guest

Thanks for pointing that out.

I guess you can tell I just skimmed the article.

16. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I don't think there is any real connection between the teabaggers and the fact that there aren't any African American Senators. However, I do think it is a shame that 12% of the country is black and that group is represented by 0% of the Senate. There has always been a weird lack of African Americans in the Senate. Not sure why (lack of real candidates?)

We need more gays, Latinos, and computer-savvy people in the Senate, too.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I honestly think that would work great for congress. I am not so sure it would work well for the senate. Plus small states would NEVER and I mean NEVER agree to that for the Senate t. They would loss way to much power.

I think the house should be done that way where they are divided up per party based on states. Also I think congressional districts should be required to be drawn up by a non partisan party to get a more effect represination.
    In Texas for example it is pointless to really even try to vote for a congressman because everyone knows who is going to win. The districts are so heavily partison it is complete BS and they have such weird party lines. They kill off the majority in the area by getting the votes divided up amount multiple groups so the GOP will almost always win seats.

I was looking at CA map and it is almost as bad as Texas in how BS the congressional district lines are.
    It makes it next to impossible to vote people out of office.

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

here in california, despite the intense opposition of the democrats and republicans, it looks like we might be headed towards having a more neutral commission to draw district boundaries

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

thank god. The more states that do this the better.
    I know Florida is doing it. I think it should be that way for all elective officials including on the state level.

20. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

There are no blacks in the senate, but it's only for two years. In 2012, we'll vote in new senators.

21. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Some truth you won't find floating around HuffPo

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Forget about the blacks, I'm proud to live in a country with its first Orange-American Speaker of the House.

23. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

ha! :d

24. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

With more democrat senators than republican, one could infer that the democratic party is more "racist."

but that would be stupid.

25. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

That's because you have no idea how proportional representation works. (No offense meant, but it has nothing to do with affirmative action).