HUGE Apple Education Discounts!!!

anastasis

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2002
92
0
Houston, TX
They are knocking off an additional $100 off of their usual price cut for educational purchases. Something is definately brewing in the Apple headquarters. They are offering these discounts on all of their models excpet for the iMac.

Talk amongst yourselves.
 

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
610
0
Michigan
i think it's getting to the time when many institutes are discussing the next year's budget and plans for technology (i know the school i attend and the school i'm working at are discussing it)

i'm making a push for a new imac set of terminals... it'll be hard though since the district hasn't owned macs in 3 years

i'll give it a go though!
 
Comment

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
11,219
0
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by kishba
i think it's getting to the time when many institutes are discussing the next year's budget and plans for technology (i know the school i attend and the school i'm working at are discussing it)

i'm making a push for a new imac set of terminals... it'll be hard though since the district hasn't owned macs in 3 years

i'll give it a go though!
Way to go, kishba!

Luckily we're 50/50 in my department, and things are going to stay that way as long as I'm here. ;)

We're owed new Macs this summer, so I'm pushing for about 40 new iMacs for lab use. We're thinking Combo drive at this point, since the Superdrives wouldn't be used that much...but it's tempting to go for the top end, if for nothing more than the extra 100 MHz...
 
Comment

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
610
0
Michigan
Originally posted by Rower_CPU


Way to go, kishba!

Luckily we're 50/50 in my department, and things are going to stay that way as long as I'm here. ;)

We're owed new Macs this summer, so I'm pushing for about 40 new iMacs for lab use. We're thinking Combo drive at this point, since the Superdrives wouldn't be used that much...but it's tempting to go for the top end, if for nothing more than the extra 100 MHz...
well i wish i had "more say" in the matter of computer purchases... but alas i am only a student who works there when i can... i'm hoping i can get together a good proposal to my boss

one good thing is if we get macs we can jump right to os X... no classic to support!
 
Comment

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
11,219
0
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by kishba


well i wish i had "more say" in the matter of computer purchases... but alas i am only a student who works there when i can... i'm hoping i can get together a good proposal to my boss

one good thing is if we get macs we can jump right to os X... no classic to support!
Good thing that enough of the apps are X native now...

Be sure to let me/us know if you need help with that proposal. Many of us work in IT and can give you lot's of ammo for building a good case for the Mac and against the PC.
 
Comment

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
610
0
Michigan
Originally posted by Rower_CPU


Good thing that enough of the apps are X native now...

Be sure to let me/us know if you need help with that proposal. Many of us work in IT and can give you lot's of ammo for building a good case for the Mac and against the PC.
that'd be great... the first battle i will have is with the new "cyber cafe" the district is planning on creating for the community in one of its buildings (which will become the new technology center where i might get my very own office!)

if you can offer any suggestions/info on why macs would be better for the cafe (they'll just need internet access and maybe office or a few other programs like that) please let me know... i found a site awhile ago about turning mac os x into a kiosk & how to manage imaging a lab os X machines but i can't remember what the url was... you might be able to help me remember

well thanks again!
 
Comment

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
11,219
0
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by kishba


that'd be great... the first battle i will have is with the new "cyber cafe" the district is planning on creating for the community in one of its buildings (which will become the new technology center where i might get my very own office!)

if you can offer any suggestions/info on why macs would be better for the cafe (they'll just need internet access and maybe office or a few other programs like that) please let me know... i found a site awhile ago about turning mac os x into a kiosk & how to manage imaging a lab os X machines but i can't remember what the url was... you might be able to help me remember

well thanks again!
Here's the URL for a great site that deals with moving to an OS X environment in the university setting, but the content is applicable to any OS X lab:
http://www.macosxlabs.org/

As far as the "cyber cafe" goes, several things come to mind.
If the new iMac is a possible option, you're looking at a very small footprint, low energy costs, minimal cabling needs (only one cable if you use Airport), lower heat production, less noise.
Arguing the OS side of things might be tougher, it depends on what the purpose of the machine would be.
 
Comment

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
610
0
Michigan
yep that was the site i was thinking about

i mentioned the mac idea to the business manager and he says aiport is defintitly a selling point since the current room isn't wired yet. also the building has some power issues and there aren't many power outlets in the potential room

the new imac would be perfect although it is costly... we might just get a 15 pack (maybe even a five pack) of the older imacs

but i'll have to talk to them again

thanks for the help!
 
Comment

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
436
1
Milwaukee, WI
That $100 dollar discount has been going on for at least a month at the apple store. They have done this in the past. A few months after the launch of a new machine, they usually start to offer a little rebate to pick up sales until the next release. But I doubt this means that we will see new powermacs beore macworld.

powerbooks on the otherhand.....
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.