HUGE issue with photos that you edit on iOS device with 8.0/8.1

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by eroxx, Oct 22, 2014.

1. eroxx macrumors 6502a

I'm on a bit of a rant on this one, so I hope you'll forgive me.

Apple has baked some fantastic photo editing features into each iteration of the iPhone. With iOS 8, they are absolutely fantastic, easy to use, and fun.

However, if you edit a photo on your iOS device, there is no easy way to get that edited photo to your computer, which makes NO SENSE!

For example, if I take a picture and then do something simple to it, like crop it, and then save that edited photo, everything's great. However, if I plug my iPhone into my computer and launch image capture, Aperture or iPhoto to import that picture, I only see the ORIGINAL!

I love the idea of non-destructive edits, but the whole point of editing is completely moot if we can't get the pictures onto our computers!!!!

I don't understand how/why this hasn't been more widely talked about, as I would think this is a huge oversight ... ?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

'Photos' for OS X.

Coming in 2015

Yeah, we're all impatient too.

3. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

This isn't directed at you, but that's ridiculous. It's unacceptable that there isn't a way to get edited photos from your iPhone to your computer, especially if you own an apple Mac.

EDIT: and what about people that don't have a mac?

4. mpfuchs macrumors regular

mpfuchs

Did you try to e-mail them? Does that work?

One thing that works for sure (I've tried it myself), go to www.icloud.com/#photos and download the pic you want there.
    It'll be with any changes made.

5. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have iCloud Photo Library turned on. Issue there is I have 7000 photos on phone and don't want to pay to store them all in iCloud. Issue with email is that it's a totally kludgy solution, no?

6. jwill99 macrumors member

You can use Dropbox on your computer and your phone and just add it to Dropbox on your phone. Then you have access to the photo anywhere that you have Dropbox.

7. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hadn't thought of that - still a kludgy solution, but better! :)

8. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

What happens if you try to airdrop it? Im not at my computer to try myself.

9. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

I used Dropbox method a while back and it worked well for a while then became very sluggish and would sometimes quit. The excuse was something that Apple had changed etc. with 7.x. I stopped using it and never tried again. It may have been resolved.
    Note that with your 7000 images when you connect to Dropbox it will try to upload all of them initially! The after that it will just be the new ones. And what I noticed was that once an image was uploaded it wouldn't upload again even if it was take off Dropbox. Which is nice if you don't want to keep them all there.

10. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

That might work too. I just want to be able to import all my (edited) photos the way I used to with image capture!

----------

Btw, with Dropbox camera import turned on it does NOT upload the edited image to Dropbox, only original.

11. gerbilbox macrumors regular

Does your hardware support iDevice-to-Mac AirDrop?

My 2009 MacBook Pro doesn't, but my new Retina MacBook Pro arrive today does so I plan to give it a try.

12. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

13. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

That might be a change then. Maybe with 8.0? My edits in 7.x were uploaded.

14. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

CORRECT. this is an issue with 8.0 and above.

15. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Cant you just plug your phone into a computer with the USB cable and it shows as a drive on your computer allowing you access to the photos you have on there?

16. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

That really does suck. I was hoping the glitch might be an iOS8 Apple/Camera Roll/Image Capture thing that Dropbox might bypass.

17. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but it only shows original not edited photos. Hence the (huge) issue!

18. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

How about using Dropbox this way?

"With the new Dropbox iOS 8 app, you can directly import and export Dropbox files to and from iOS apps that also support Apple’s new Storage Provider App Extensions. This allows you to access your Dropbox files within other apps and transfer your files from other apps into Dropbox. To import to Dropbox, just tap the ellipsis icon (…) at the top of your file list, choose “Add Files,” then click “More” to toggle between preferred apps."

You could select all the photos you want exported (if the Photo app uses the extension) then save them to a Dropbox folder. Still a kludge but better than email. Does what Dropbox offers just not automatic.

19. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

20. MacTCE macrumors 6502

If you're using a Mac you could always Airdrop them from your phone to computer as well.

21. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Did you call Apple? Have you reported this bug? Perhaps they aren't aware of it yet and could have it easily fixed for the next iteration.

22. hernan1304 macrumors member

I never noticed this, it's worth writing to Dropbox and asking them if they can change the camera upload feature to reflect edits when they are made. Not sure if this is possible, but worth asking!

23. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

I doubt it, since it happens system wide. In other words, when I connect my phone to computer to import images, computer only shows original.

24. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a