Huge problems with heat and forever running fans - Macbook Pro Retina 13" (Late 2012)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lifeform, Jul 3, 2014.

1. lifeform macrumors member

Hi,

I´ve for a very long time now had huge problems with heat on my Macbook Pro Retina 13" - Late 2012 model.

2,9 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB HD.

I.e. right now I am making a video with the screen capture program ScreenFlow, which boost up to a wopping 190% of the CPU, also I am watching a webcast at our countries national TV-channel in Chrome.

See the attached screenshot.

And the computer fan just runs and runs at max all the time, and the computer is also very warm.

Is this any way to fix this and get rid of this problem once or for all? Is this a know problems with these models, and have it been corrected in the newest Macbook Pro Retina´s ?

I lend a Macbook Pro just very quick from a guy, and his computer wasn´t warm at ALL.

Hate this problem, because it´s always running the fans when I want to just relax with a YouTube-video, broadcast ++ *ANNOYING*

Any fix for it ?? Guarantee ?

Attached Files:

2. ignatiushk macrumors member

ignatiushk

chrome helper is using unnecessary amounts of cpu. Go to settings -> show advanced settings -> content settings -> plugins and set to click to play. Also look at the disable individual plugins link under there. And screenflow seems like a very intensive app imo

3. lifeform thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answer. I´ve done so now, but I have a suspicion it´s related to the graphics card.

I found this fix http://machmachines.com/macbook-pro-retina-overheating-fix-now/, but I can´t find anything else than my computer only have a integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000-graphics card, and THIS is what might cause the computer to overheat and act up.

The fan is running very very much when I play of and work with graphics and videos.

----------

Here´s my model: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP658

Serialnumber: C02JL2H1DR56

4. Jonathanchasr macrumors newbie

Try reinstalling Mac OS X again, or if you don't want to lose data then make a separate partition and install Mac OS X on there and use that partition for a little bit to see if the same heating issues occur.

5. simsaladimbamba

ScreenFlow probably has some work to do, recording that big a resolution and scaling it down at the same time.

As you didn't report any fan speed RPMs or metric temperatures (Kelvin or Celsius, leave that stupid Fahrenheit where it is, hopefully forgotten), your computer's behaviour might actually be normal.

Maybe this can lift some fear through knowledge: Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

6. lifeform thread starter macrumors member

This is unmanagble irritating, but I definitly think it´s cause of the lacking extra GPU on this motherboard.

Of course ScreenFlow is doing some hard work here, encoding a video in HD to YouTube, BUT i have this problem ALL the time. Fans are running at MAX (!!!) only by running a simple YouTube-video, and this is way to irritating now.

It helps when I close all the apps in Activity Monitor, but still very unstable and something that disturbs my joy of using this computer.

7. ignatiushk macrumors member

ignatiushk

Maybe because of the Flash plugin. Anytime i play a flash video on YouTube the fans crank up to 6200rpm. Try the HTML5 player. youtube.com/html5

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Stop using Chrome and see if that helps, Chrome has caused lots of issues with rMBP users. See what occurs if you stop using it (reboot to clear out the chrome processes) and report back.