Huge Time Capsule Backups???

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Killerbob, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Killerbob

Hi,

Once in a while, my MacBook Pro and my Mac Pro completely loses it and starts backing up gigabytes and gigabytes onto Time Capsule. I don't understand it, I change little daily, but like right now, the MBP is backing up no less than 35GBs. I don't even know what it can be...

I know I just updated to 10.13.5 Beta, but 35GBs??? And, my LightRoom libraries, the MobileSync backups, and my Outlook Profiles are all excluded from Time Capsule.

Not understanding it, I am looking to y'all for suggestions...

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Installing an update modifies a lot of files and they all must be backed up again. The backup only backups full files, so if a file is slightly modified it will transfer everything. A beta also makes a bit more files, so that could also add to the backup.

Did you delete the installation file? It can be around 5 GB by itself.

3. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Killerbob

The beta installation files are deleted by OSX itself, and there is currently only 1.5GB of files in /private/var...

Also, even if most system files were affected by an update, they only amount to 10-12GB - not the 35GBs that were backed up...

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

What is the system size?  > About this Mac > Storage. It should show your system files size. Is it at least 35 GB?

It is hard to say if it is accurate (mine says 68 GB), but it does take into account the installation size and all the updates and maybe it counts apps or iTunes files.

In any case, it wants to backup 35 GB. Nothing you can do but let it finish. In my case the backup occasionally corrupts and demands a complete backup, so I would be happy with just a 35 GB backup.