Hugo Chavez dead?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Mar 5, 2013.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Rumor coming from Bloomberg.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

He dead...

Spanish Source> Click Me

English> Click Me

Disclaimer... I do feel he was a good president in certain aspects. I had a Venezuelan classmate. He told me about the programs the Venezuelan people enjoyed. Great benefits for the populace regardless of social standing, but benefiting most to the poor.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I'm just following this story on the BBC, and checked in here, with a view to starting a thread on the topic, but saw that you had beaten me to it.

Regardless of one's opinion of his politics, one cannot deny his charisma and importance in the wider Central & Southern American area, and the (much needed and long overdue) reforms he introduced.

Soi-disant, slightly nostalgic, idealistic, old soft lefties such as myself were delighted when he was first elected to office, but, in common with the trajectory of Nicaragua's Daniel Ortega, the gleaming bright sheen he sported when first elected became more than a bit tarnished over time.......sigh.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

5. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Oh, quit the BS you all !! Let's call things by their name: he was a softcore dictator, and he made sure his oligarchy profited from his power. I'm glad he's not in charge anymore, but I'm afraid those who were waiting for their turn are worse.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

When he first came to power, Hugo Chavez represented the triumph of hope, for in his person he embodied the expression of the belief that things could be and might be better, that national wealth might be used to the benefit of the nation as a whole (rather than merely to improve the lives of the wealthy elites) and, yes, he represented the aspirations of the poor, and above all, the indigenous peoples.

And yes, he was better (for a while, at least) than what preceded him.....and what is likely to succeed him.

The tragedy is that many of those hopes invested in him were not realised (but some were). Personally, I, for one, regret his passing because I remember the genuine joy and high hopes which greeted his early period in office and power.

7. AhmedFaisal, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  8. eric/ Guest

eric/

He was better than those before him, but his rampant anti-Americanism was always unwelcome

9. AhmedFaisal, Mar 5, 2013
  10. Squadleader macrumors regular

He was the puppet....

11. AhmedFaisal, Mar 5, 2013
  12. eric/ Guest

eric/

I'm not debating that, in saying its good to have him out of the way. Given the history, with him in charge there was no chance for atonement.

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Don't think so.

Pentagon Confirms David Delmonico, U.S. Attaché Expelled From Venezuela, En Route Back To Washington.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/05/david-delmonico-expelled-venezuela-pentagon_n_2813104.html

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

What ever is that supposed to mean?

15. eric/ Guest

eric/

The us could never have normal relations with Venezuela with Chavez there. Now that he's dead, there exists an opportunity for the US to atone for its past.

Is that more clear?

16. AhmedFaisal, Mar 5, 2013
  17. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

The United States has exterminated and committed genocide on more Native Americans than people that Hitler and Stalin killed combined.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well, he certainly helped many more people obtain better living conditions, more than our government wanted him to anyway...

Our PR campaigns about Chavez and the state of his country are nakedly pathetic.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Source?

20. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

http://hnn.us/articles/7302.html

21. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

A leader that helped his country step it up a bit ( More than a bit) , dealing with education, health, poverty , inequality and colonialism :D, the numbers say he did a pretty good job

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/g.aspx?c=ve&v=69

seems like the People of Venezuela are happy with him, who are we to say who should govern them and who shouldn't ....

22. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

A) Rule by the oil companies and their oligarchy
    B) Rule by Hugo Chavez

Hmm. Are there any other choices?

23. Macky-Mac, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

seems you'll have to do better than that;

New York Review of Books

even just going with the lower 11 million and six million, that totals more than your 12 million

edit;

of course those figures are considered low according to many historians.....here's a source that lists in detail many more deaths.

Depending on who you count, Hitler's total seems to be more like 15 million and Stalin more like 20 million.....and those still fairly conservative figures according to many of the sources cited

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Grim accounting. But, it makes no sense to me to count deaths in North America of people who never saw a white man by means of diseases hardly understood. The article cited previously summarizes pretty well:

http://hnn.us/articles/7302.html

As for Hitler versus Stalin, it seems odd to leave out Mao, who ordered the deaths of somewhere between 3 and 11 Million, with an additional 20-46 Million dead in famines, through a combination of malice and incompetence. The records are so poor compared to Hitler and Stalin, but, even the lower, official, estimates put Mao roughly on par with Stalin. I wonder if China will ever permit an accurate reckoning. The monuments to Hitler and Stalin have been dumped on the rubbish heap or melted down, while China still displays numerous Mao icons for the world to see.