Huh...found something my S3 does that my iPhone can't

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MuddyPaws1, Sep 29, 2012.

1. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Not a huge thing but I don't understand it. I have tried to get my Apple TV to connect to my iPhone via wifi hot spot many times. Never worked. It would try and say can't connect. However, I could hook it to my MacBook Pro via USB tethering, and then use wifi internet sharing from the MBP and it would work but very slow and lots of buffering when watching movies.

For grins, I tried my S3 tonight and the Apple Tv found it and connected with no problems even with security enabled. Connection was fast enough to watch netflix with no buffering.

Very odd. Like I said, not a huge deal, but I wonder why it won't work with the iPhone.

2. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

4. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Try this, use Airplay to stream content to your Apple TV.

5. MuddyPaws1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Lemme know how you do that with no wifi network.

----------

Really? I have never been able to get it to work. Not with a 4 and not with a 4S. Both with a Apple TV 2 and a Apple TV 3. It's a very specialized time when someone would have a need for this I know but I find myself in this situation quite a few times. When do you guys need this functionality?

6. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Why the hell would someone buy an Apple TV with no home internet service?

7. iAlphard macrumors regular

Maybe because radio internet speed nowadays fast and stable enough?

8. norwegian wood macrumors regular

someone who does not download a lot of content but still wants the ability to airplay music and video, pictures or what have you

9. tekno macrumors 6502a

I've discovered that my S3 can send files to my MacBook Air over Bluetooth but I can't work out how to do that from my iPhone.

10. MuddyPaws1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have home internet service. It's when I am not at home that I would like to tether the Apple TV to the phone. When I am on the road. How about asking a question without being a jack ass

11. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Huh great point if you are on the go etc. question is are both devices updated to latest software? Is either jail broke or software unlocked?

I have accomplished what you have tried off an LTE iPad (latest) that is jail broken and using mifi app in Cydia. The Apple TV was able to stream net flix etc.

12. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Whenever I am uploading a huge file on my home internet and want to watch Netflix/Hulu Plus without buffering I tether my phone.

13. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

You must have forgotten where you are. This is MR. The primary objective for any question or criticism is to assume that the OP has the exact same needs that anything you might do that's beyond the current Apple capabilities is "dumb" or "unnecessary".

I'll have to test this out to see what my results are with the combo of AT3 and iPhone 5 on iOS 6.

14. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Turn on bluetooth

15. MuddyPaws1 thread starter macrumors 6502

That is the funniest post in a while.

And I needed a good laugh tonight. Thanks.

----------

Maybe you should read this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647

16. MuddyPaws1 thread starter macrumors 6502

ATV is updated and I have tried on a jailbroke iphone and non jailbroke. I have not tried on iOS 6, only everything before that. I have not updated to 6 because of the issues with it and the lack of a jailbreak. And the wife sold her iPhone 5 so I never tested it with that. Just 2 different 4's and 2 different 4S's.

And I have been unable to make it work with 2 different ATV's. A 2 and a 3. 3 stays at home, the 2 travels with us.

I just tried it again and it just sits at the accessing netflix screen forever tethered to the wife's jailbroken 4S. Network settings shows it with full connection. Works with the other phone, that's all I care about.

17. tekno macrumors 6502a

Well, obviously, Bluetooth is turned on! But still can't seem to send files from my iPhone to my Mac or vice versa.

18. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I know some devices have a "hand shake" method to get the Bluetooth to recognize the device. I don't get my iphone for another 2 and half weeks so not much more I can help with. Sorry!

Hand shake method - for example you have to click "find bluetooth devices" on device B. On device A turn on bluetooth and hit search, password comes up - on device B it prompts for password.

19. wharzhee macrumors 6502

i was just wondering,

if u set hotspot, would there be any chance that the data incurred when data is transferred locally - be chargeable?

an obvious no, right?

20. MuddyPaws1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well yea the data is chargeable. Most of the carriers have made it clear than tethering isn't free and somehow that data is different than the same data watched on the phone itself.

But that isn't my concern. I would still do it even if they charged me. I haven't been charged for tethering since you could tether a phone. Been doing ti for years. But that's besides the point.