Human occupant space fighters are pretty stupid

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Just sayin with the drones we have now I don't know why we would need to put people in space fighters, but there they are in just about every space scifi movie defying future logic. In fact I'd say humans are the weakest link in space travel and exploration, but lets have them dog fight it out in space because that's resources well spent.

On a related note, I'm going to rewatch Event Horizon. I imagine it's what a Trump lead space expedition would result in. "Nobody knew how destructive a portal to Hell would be."
As long as computer can be hacked we might need the "weakest link" onboard...

Immagine you put a Nuclear weapon in a drone, the you lose control of that drone because it can be piloted from remote, wouldn't you feel a little bit safer knowing a man up there has the potential to take control?

Reactions: BarracksSi

Rhonindk

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2014
watching the birth of the Dem WTH Party
But when was the last dog fight? It seems to me that airplanes on the modern battle field are C2 and weapons delivery platforms. I really don't want a computer to deliver a bomb or a missile without a human involved.
Not when it did rather when it will. Dogfighting may be rare till it isn't. Just because we do not participate in them at the present, situations still exist where they may occur.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Not when it did rather when it will. Dogfighting may be rare till it isn't. Just because we do not participate in them at the present, situations still exist where they may occur.
I'd guess you'd have to define rare, since it's been nearly 20 years. Realistically speaking, dogfighting was a 20th century phenomenon. Sure there may still be exceptions, just as there are still people in the US who rely on horse-and-buggy for personal transportation.

Mike

Rhonindk

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2014
watching the birth of the Dem WTH Party
I'd guess you'd have to define rare, since it's been nearly 20 years. Realistically speaking, dogfighting was a 20th century phenomenon. Sure there may still be exceptions, just as there are still people in the US who rely on horse-and-buggy for personal transportation.

Mike
I look back at the few times the military tried to move to a "distant" vs. "dogfight". Dogfights these days are rare as we quickly overwhelm or destroy the ability way up front. Run into a more matched opponent ....