Human Rights groups ask Canada to Arrest George W. Bush

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Oct 13, 2011.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I can already see the controversy coming up from this, but what they hey, it's PRSI. Let's see what decent discussion comes out of this! ;)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...l-on-canada-to-arrest-president-george-w-bush

Two groups actually get it right and call for the right thing, and now they are deemed 'mad' by those who support Bush. I honestly don't think people know anymore where politics end and rights begin.

Personally, I'd love to see Bush hauled off to the Hague. Do you?

BL.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Why can't the Hague issue an international warrant for the arrest of someone charged with war crimes??

Presidents can pardon previous presidents, but this should have no bearing on the rest of the World.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not to fear.

As a God-fearing Christian, he's going to Hell anyway, just for WMD alone.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I see this honestly as nothing but a big dog and pony show. I really REALLY doute they could get any real evidence that would hold up in court to convict him. Most of it would be hear say.

It is almost to the point they might as well let it go.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Or, we could actually let due process run it's natural course. :p

Res ipsa loquitur.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I absolutely despised almost everything that man did as a leader, but that doesn't mean he should be arrested.

Fact is, every president, or prime minister, or chief executive, will do things a substantial portion of the population disagrees with. If Bush should be indicted for something, I highly doubt Canadians would have a dog in the fight. They weren't misled about WMDs. They weren't being forced to subsidize religious "abstinence" sex education. They weren't treated like refugees in their own country when a hurricane lashed at one of our most vibrant cities.

Even if Americans were to try to charge him, what would it be? Incompetence just isn't a criminal offense.

As for the torture claims in the article, I very much doubt there's going to be any evidence actually linking Bush to an explicit order. Even to get a whiff of such evidence we'd probably have to go through a dog and pony show like this all over again:

[​IMG]

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Really?? Wow. :eek:

So the same would be said of Blair??

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

oh come on! It's your big chance to avenge the Arrow!!!! :p

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Morals aside, Canadians should be upset with their own leaders for marching to his drum. It isn't an arrestable offense to strong arm your allies.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

For that, I'd have to exhume Diefenbaker, and hang him. ;)

But I'm sure the U.S. officials, at the time, did "convince" Dief that the Arrow technology should not fall into Soviet hands.

Just American ones. :p

This was in the Gouzenko era, after all.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The amnesty group is a circus act, the government has already established there would be no arrests and pointed out the hypocrisy on amnesty's side as they have welcomed leaders 10x worse without a call to action.

13. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. No call to bar Castro from entering Canada, but arrest Bush!:rolleyes:

15. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Uhhm Castro was not ten times worse than Bush, for one thing he hasn't waged any wars which led directly to the deaths of 100's of thousands. And indirectly to the deaths of a million or more...

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

back in the 1970s and 80s Castro sent his troops to fight in a number of African countries. In 1976 he had 36,000 fighting in Angola, in 1978 there were 18,000 fighting in Ethiopia, and more in a number of other countries......so yes he waged wars that killed vast numbers.......probably not as many as Bush though

17. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Technology was lacking, perhaps? I'm sure he would've if he could've... :p

(Yes, this is completely light-hearted and not to be taken seriously.)

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

:rolleyes:

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

And these are similar to the Bush administration's military action how, again?

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

war making and resulting dead people

21. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Sorry, the similarity is just not there. The only "war making" (initiating military action) Cuba ever really did was in Bolivia, which ended with the capture and and killing of Ernesto Guevarra (who led the effort). The African adventures involved taking sides and assisting in nations that were already unstable and in conflict.

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

"adventures" ?? um, yes.....none the less the soldiers that went on those fun "adventures" left dead people by the thousands, displaced thousands more, and put a number of thuggish regimes in power in a number of countries.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

But, how many eggs where broken, and who got the eat the resulting omelette? ;)

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Source?

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

for a start, see the links in post 16

When it comes to supporting thugs, Castro has a long history....some examples we've been hearing about recently; Gadaffi, Mugabe, Assad.