Human Trials of Embryonic Stem Cell Treatment Beginning

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Feb 5, 2009.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I hope that they don't start out reinventing the wheel as it were, for other countries are farther ahead at the moment.

3. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

There is alot to be gained from such research.... we just need to remove religion from science.

My two cents.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

5. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

Mind you, even in countries where embryonic stem cell research was done openly the results have not been promising so far. Meanwhile, I know of over over 100 adult stem cell therapies that are either FDA-approved or in trials phase.

6. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Here here!

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I think it is bloody wonderful.
    High time.

8. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I read recently that scientists have worked out a way to engineer stem cells from human skin:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080211172631.htm

This is actually being reported there as 2008 - but I only read about it recently. I don't have a problem with stem cell research, but if it can be done without embryos the research may be able to move ahead with fewer impediments from the you-know-who's.

Edit: this is likely the article I read:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601124&sid=auDr495yHivg&refer=home

10. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

on the beeb too

BBC.

Good.

12. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Good news. It was always going to take time for him to get to certain things. He hasn't been able to do everything in the last month. Things take time.

Another one in the eye for the likes of Tesselator.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^ Why does it always turn to the "OMG, HUMAN CLONING! NOOOOOES!" topic, as if that is all embryonic stem cell research has to offer. :rolleyes: MotherFUDders.

I think this is fantastic news.

15. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

You think that, but if you bothered to follow the evidence you'd see that Obama is manipulating corporatist America into research on embryonic stem cells not to help people medically, but to clone babies, because Obama realized too late that being President does not leave enough time for his nightly raids to snatch babies from their cribs for a tasty midnight snack. They are the source of his power, you see.

16. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

:D

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's no laughing matter. :mad:

18. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I'm more worried about these FEMA concentrations camps and coffins. They're going to kill 90% of the world population, don't you know?

19. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Stem cell research will eventually help to crack the organ rejection issues enabling full cross type donation.

You had better hope it's also cracked the organ cloning issue too, otherwise were going to see Larry Niven's organlegger snatch squads grabbing people in good health to be broken up for spare parts.

This is undoubtedly good news, lets hope Obama can hold the pro-lifers at bay long enough for the scientists to get some decent work done.

20. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I don't really know what the "process" is of harvesting embryos but I'm not sure women are going to purposely try to get pregnant just to have an operation to make some bucks.

As for cloning, that's a separate technology that has little benefit from embryonic stem cells. They've been working on that without embryonic or adult stem cells. It's just politicians showing their lack of understanding of the subject and just going with the flow of thier religious followers for votes.

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Most, if not all, of them are in vitro embryos that weren't implanted, I think.

22. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's where much of the cells lines came from in the past. They take the "excess" cells from fertility clinics and use them. One pro-argument was that these cells are never going to become humans anyway.

Breaking news:
    Obama reverses ban on embryonic stem cell research funding
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/29603876#29598211

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I never understand the OMG human cloning arguments. If it's found to be safe and effective what's the problem with using it? Sure there should be limits and regulation on it's application (like any biolgoical technology) but I'm still to understand why it's unquestionably abhorrent.

As for this decision it's about time. Not sure we can get too excited about catching up with the rest of the scientific world. Who knows how far behind we all are as a result.

25. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

This is good but shouldn't be happening in the US. The impact of the research should never ever ever ever ever be allowed to benefit a capitalist health market.