Hundreds protest outside London pub after gay couple evicted for kissing.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iStudentUK, Apr 16, 2011.

1. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

As some of you will know, earlier this week two men were asked to leave a pub in Soho, London, after kissing whilst on a date. Whilst the landlord insists it was due to decency and nothing to do with the fact that they were two men, the couple and witnesses say the kissing was nothing more than a few pecks that shouldn't have raised any eyebrows.

Move forward a few days, and last night hundreds of people gathered outside the pub (which had closed early that day) to kiss outside in protest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13096519

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13087715

I have been pleased to see the response has been almost universally critical of the landlord. As far as I know there was no counter-protest and no homophobic behaviour yesterday. Plus, the police are investigating the incident to see if it was illegal discrimination.

Although I don't like to see two people (any two people) engaging in some kind of marathon game of tonsil tennis at the next table that is not what happened here. Furthermore, a man and a women doing that would probably cause an eye-roll or two and maybe a "get a room" but probably wouldn't be thrown out.

All in all, it is sad that such an event happened, but great to see the overwhelming majority of the public disgusted by the landlord's behaviour.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's great to see such an outpouring of support. If that had taken place in the US, the pub owner would be on national TV and heralded as a national hero for not supporting gay perversions. The couple who kissed would have their home firebombed and any protesters would be run down by crazed religious fundamentalists.

3. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

The pub owner has a right to throw people out for any reason, yet the laws are typically against the right of store owners to let in who they wish into their private property.

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Doubt it. Where in the US are you talking about? Maybe in Bumblescum, Mississippi. If this happened in Soho, NY, not the case. It's funny because the british usually have a smug attitude about how far ahead they are of the US when it comes to social issues, apparently not so much! And this is London, not some small rural town.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I don't see the need for this type of post. You're taking an event where we should be condemning a pub owner due to his direct actions and turning it into a issue of geography.

I see no reason to bring the focus away from this pub owner.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Damn civil rights act.

Shhh, that's not the narrative they like to discuss. ;)

7. iStudentUK thread starter macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

A place of business is not private property. It is simple-

Private property = can discriminate
    Place of business = can't discriminate

I don't think pubs are an exception.

Shops, pubs, clubs etc can have rules if they like, even if they are silly. However, they must be equal in fact. For example, a shop owner could ban holding hands in store, but they couldn't then only apply it to, say, black people.

If someone chooses to open a shop, run a B&B or anything else they lose the ability to discriminate. As it should be.

I think it is great to see such a big response to this issue. We will always have backwards people like this landlord, what matters is the rest of the public are appalled by it. Plus, the law may allow them to bring the landlord to court, though I doubt they will choose to do so.