Hunter killed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TechGod, Apr 14, 2014.

1. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11238195

This is very sad, I wish people were more careful in these situations and makes sure the target is not a human.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

that sucks, glad in a way the area I hunt is archery only. a bit harder to get shot by errant arrows but i have heard that it DOES happen.

3. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Arrows can be just as deadly.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

agreed, difference with a bow is that you DO see your target instead of aimlessly shooting out there at any thing that moves, archers look for & aim for vitals, yes there are occasional robing hood morons out there, but no where near what the orange army has. few archers spot & stalk (I do ), most sit on a tree stand or use a blind & see/identify what they are shooting at.

5. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

I've done Archery for a week, this certainly holds true.

Off topic but the first time I shot a bow I got a bullseye:p

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

its all downhill from there :D

compound? traditional? I am shooting Trad now, no where near the accuracy that I could get with the compound but for some reason I am happier knowing its all me .

my first hunting experience (here in the U.S) with firearms was extremely disappointing & I would say I might never hunt for deer with a gun, I did not feel safe at all.

7. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Your link is broken for me. My Mom came from West Virginia and we all knew you don't go into the woods during hunting season. :p

8. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Def traditional. Archery is so much fun.

9. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I buy my meat in the butcher shop. Being shot is just one of the risks of hunting. Besides, no WiFi or 4G deep in the woods and the dang deer won't just jump in the truck. I'd have to stay out there for hours with deer pee on my boots. Then after I shoot it, I have to drag it for miles.

10. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Th problem is all you American suburban Americans! I grew up in rural area with a lot of hunting during the season.

The funniest thing I saw was a man who had to paint (in big red letters) the word cow onto all his younger cattle. City hunters would shoot at his cows every year. He over the years had to sue NYC so called hunters for a lot of money, from the ones he actually caught.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

They should just outlaw the orange, that would turn rifle hunting into a real sport. You would have to shoot the right target while at the same time trying not to get shot. The breweries would probably not be too happy with that, though.

12. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

Wow, that really is unfortunate. What's worse is the the tone of the article makes it sound like this isn't unusual. I live in a rural part of Northern California and gun ownership and deer hunting are high, but we don't see this kind of thing much at all. Or maybe it just doesn't get reported?:eek:

13. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Unfortunately yes, this is kind of common during hunting season here. I think you are right. Your media just doesn't report it I guess. I doubt accidents never happen.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

My father, who was actually quite good with a bow, once shot a bull with his rifle. Aside form the monetary cost of reimbursing the farmer (at least my father owned up to the mistake), he never lived that one down really. He just saw a patch of fur through some undergrowth and convinced himself it was a deer....

Anyway, anybody going into the forest during hunting season who is not wearing fluorescent orange is taking quite a risk...