Hunting, in words you might understand

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 1, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

well said, I did not mind eating tag soup for 4 years (coming home empty handed) because I enjoyed pretty much what he just said.

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Watching nature and then shooting it. That's what I do, but with a camera. Mind you, I love venison so I can't be too holier-than-thou...

3. chown33 macrumors 604

My thoughts were along the same lines. Basically, I can do all that without the purpose of killing something, and enjoy all the same uplifting experience of Nature. The two things, Hunting and Enjoying Nature, are separable.

I also like eating venison, as well as trout. If I'm out in Nature watching the sun rise, with the goal of getting something to dine on, I'll be much more likely to be holding a rod and reel than a rifle. Also, less camouflage clothing.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I don't object to hunting if it is done sensibly and competently. I personally don't like killing animals, but I recognise we use animals in all sorts of ways that result in the same outcome. At least a deer has a more sporting chance than a pig, chicken, or cow.

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

oh, I thought it just be :
    KILL.KILL.KILL.KILL ad infinitum...

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

7. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Okay one guy is wearing a black hat and the other guy is wearing a black shirt with a black background. Someone should be fired.

8. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

and I was sure that you belonged to PETA.

[​IMG]

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

My friend keeps inviting me to his annual duck hunting trip. Over many years he has not once got a duck.

Now that I have watched this video... well, I still don't get it.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

As I'm pretty sure JK knows, I'm not a huge fan of ordinary American citizens walking around strip malls and fast-food restaurants with guns strapped to their persons. I'll not restate the reasons for this belief, but rest assured they are founded in pretty strong scientific and statistical evidence.

But when it comes to the sporting use and ownership of firearms? Count me as an enthusiastic proponent.

My personal belief and experience is that responsible, ethical hunting of wild animals is one of the strongest and most effective forces for the preservation and health of our natural ecosystems. For example, having all-but eliminated natural predators such as wolves, the population of species such as deer have grown to unsustainable levels. Wild deer in many regions of our country now not only present a serious hazard to humans (collisions with automobiles, destruction of crops) but also in the form of starvation and chronic wasting disease among the deer population itself. Hunters generally have a strong interest in preserving and protecting our wilderness areas, advocating for their protection from such practices as commercial mining and the destruction of wetlands.

I know, and respect, the viewpoints of those opposed to hunting on ethical grounds. I also disagree with them. Humans have, since our earliest days as a species, relied on the hunting and killing of birds, fish, and mammals to provide us with sources of protein and calories. Done well, hunting can serve as a great source of physical and emotional fulfillment. It creates economic activity and opportunities in rural and wild areas. And hunters themselves serve as political and social spokespersons for the preservation of great swathes of our threatened natural areas.

11. niploteksi macrumors regular

And what's better than a fully automatic carbine for killing a bunch of rabbits? :)

12. chown33 macrumors 604

Well, I'm more a traditionalist, so I prefer my spear and magic helmet.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm sure you're just being facetious.

But, from a practical standpoint, I sincerely doubt too many hunters - ethical or otherwise - are going to use a "modern sporting rifle" for rabbit hunting. The ammunition is considerably more expensive than the sort of 0.177 or 0.22 caliber that's more than adequate to humanely kill members of the Leporidae family. And from the rabbit's perspective, I'm not sure how being killed with a 0.22 rifle while gamboling in a meadow is in any manner worse than having your neck wrung by a farmer's wife behind the barn.

14. niploteksi macrumors regular

Not everyday you learn new words... I was being facetious. If there are really issues with people wanting that kind of riffles for hunting.

I actually have a hunter's license though I don't really hunt and I never owned my own riffle.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Nah. That's black flies in season lol.

I think they are the souls of deer killed for sport and not eaten... karma on the wing.

16. Zenithal Suspended

If I kill, I eat it. Unless the animal was diseased and then I either splay it open or do a rough butcher and have the land hand scatter it for wildlife. I haven't gone hunting in a while due to the rising and often absurd fees associated with it. The meat doesn't really last long either.

I do still fish. Surprisingly states aren't too anal about fishing.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Lotta people come up here for trout season starting in April here. I have to say there could be some winking and nodding to locals getting a head start but then some of those streams are worth your life to get to even by April if we have a snowy winter so... yeah, it's not treated the same way as taking deer out of season.

18. Zenithal Suspended

I'd rather take easy catching salmon over trout. I hate trout.

Grilled salmon steaks, baked salmon fillet, baked whole salmon with herbs and lemon slices, salmon mousse, smoked salmon, smoked salmon belly, salmon soup, etc.

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Aside from anything else, I'm a natural-food freak. Deer don't get fed growth hormones. Quail are a small version of free-range chickens.

As a do-it-yourself type, I'm not hiring somebody else to do the scut work for me for my meat. We all have two choices, right? Kill it yourself or hire it done?

Same for offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. You never know what you'll hook onto, and it all tastes good. Get out to the bluewater line and enjoy the day. :) Great fishing around the oil and gas rigs, because of the food chains they create.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Did he say, "I like to kill stuff"?

Because that's what hunting boils down to ... people who like to kill stuff.

Happy killing!

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Isn't that an argument for some common ground between people on both sides of the political divide that is currently tearing our country apart?

Yes. We absolutely need some of the oil and gas our energy companies are pulling from deep-water wells in the Gulf of Mexico.

But that extraction needs to be very carefully regulated so that we don't end up poisoning those same waters, and destroying - perhaps permanently - the Gulf as a source of sporting and commercial fishing.

We can have commercial and recreational fishing. We can have oil-and-gas drilling. But uncontrolled fishing will very quickly destroy the populations of desirable marine species. And unregulated oil and gas drilling will inevitably result in spills that ruin things for everybody else who enjoys, and relies upon, those waters.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

If that was it I would have quit first year I ate tag soup

23. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Why do you buy a hunting license every year if you don't hunt? This thread reminds me, our hunting year just ended on the 28th, time for new ones.

24. niploteksi macrumors regular

Actually in my country you first have to pass a theoretical and practical exam to receive a license to hunt. Then you apply for a firearm license and after that you pay the yearly fee.

Maybe a "hunters exam" would be a more appropriate translation. You may apply for a weapons license appropriate to the exam you passed.

25. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It goes varies State by State here. The ones that I have hunted required a hunter's education/safety course which is good for a lifetime. In my State you have to buy a hunting license and game tag yearly. Normally I just buy a deer tag, though I started buying turkey tags(spring and fall) last year.