Hurricane Matthew is a racist

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Oct 7, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

4. Gypsy36 macrumors regular

I can't read the article but it is a phrase that has been around for a while. It refers to the forcing of low income groups (and typically minorities) by circumstance or lack of financial resources into or to remain in areas that are at risk for environmental damage and / or not providing adequate upgrades to those populations to allow them to withstand the weather. Not that the hurricane is racist.

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

100+ dead in Haiti and despite the fact that the Haitian president and the entire government aren't white, SJWs find a way to blame racism.

6. zin macrumors 6502

Environmental racism is a lie. This is the only truth about Hurricane Matthew.

7. Zenithal Suspended

Is it the name? There's plenty of Black men named Matthew out there.

8. Jess13, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016

Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Matthew: “What did you say about me? You wanna die!” *evil stare*

CuCRLtJXEAA4Slx.jpg-large.jpeg

9. Gypsy36 macrumors regular

It has nothing to do with the colour of the govt representative's skin? I don't understand your comment. It has to do with how the world is situated.

10. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

The island of Hispaniola is situated in the Caribbean and occasionally experiences hurricanes. Where is the racism?

11. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

Thank you for putting the tweet into context. I thought she put something funny in her cereal.

12. Gypsy36 macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm not referring to geography and you know it. I'll leave you to your "fun".
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2016 ---
    Ha! I have no doubt that she was still butchering it.

13. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I think it is because the nearby country of the dominican republic almost never has disasters.

14. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

These days it's either too easy to or too hard to. Thank comedy shows that manage to make news more newsworthy I suppose?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2016 ---
    So the truth is that it and its path look like a big wang and sack? :eek:

That's sexist! Ageist too since it always looks like it's hanging downward.

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_racism

16. Gypsy36 macrumors regular

Oh dear. It's a theory that developed in the 60s. It is both racial and / or financial.

It's because the people of Haiti are poor as anything. And they cannot afford to move out of the path of environmental forces or put up proper infrastructure to withstand the damage caused by those forces (like much of the rest of the world would do) so they are far more susceptible to significant consequences. And, the theory goes, they receive less attention / aid / assistance with future planning because they are black (see the same argument made when the levies were breached in New Orleans) and, more generally, black populations tend to be more affected by this type of situation.

It is similar to the complaint made when people in mobile homes live in tornado alley or move into low income housing in damaged regions (such as in the love canal area). We (as an international / national / local community) allow our most unfortunate to live in danger. They do so because they can afford nothing else.

It has nothing to do with the hurricane targeting an island because of its population. It's not Jaws V