Hurry up, I'm dying

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 20, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.cbssports.com/general/ne...tador-gored-to-death-after-stumbling-on-cape/

I didn't know the French enjoyed this crap.

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

When I was living in Spain, we used to always root for the bull. Got nasty looks for it, but whatever.
    These animals are not in good condition by the time the matador gets in the arena.
    Put a fresh bull in there that hasn't been run down and bleeding. Most of those guys wouldn't stand a chance.

3. Scepticalscribe, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Not all parts of France do. In fact, most parts of France don't.

However, the far south - especially the regions adjacent to Spain, (for example, it is sometimes forgotten that three of the seven provinces of the historic Basque country lie in France) - where various Spanish cultural influences have mingled with those of France, bull-fighting is fairly popular.

4. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

5. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Absolutely savage.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

does the car driver being chased on a CLOSED track with no way to escape get systematically bled to death ??

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Has NASCAR gotten good, maybe I'll watch now.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Bullfighting ranks right up (down?) There with cock and dog fighting.

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

As others have eluded to, it would be much more sporting if they didn't wear out and stab the bull a bit before hand.

12. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I think they should just put two matadors in the ring to face each other if they want fair sport.

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I'm not an animal lover, but congrats to the bull.

14. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Exactly. I'm from Paris, but my mother was from the Basque country... She was raised in that culture and saw many many "corridas" in her childhood. To her it didn't seem like a big deal and I've spent years trying to explain to her how stupid and cruel this thing is, to me. To her it was part of the folklore, to me it's cruelty. I understood her point and she understood mine. Like you said, most of the country though is strongly against bullfighting except for the few lunatics living close to the Spain border ;)

I've seen a few videos of these guys getting badly injured, and sometimes killed by the bull, such as this recent tragedy. While I do recognize the tragic nature of these accidents, I can't help but feel more compassion for the animals... It's not a sport, it's just a barbaric activity that shouldn't have its place in our society. The essence of a sport, any sport, is fairness. :rolleyes:

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If you are dumb enough to fight a bull and you lose that's your own damn fault.

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Agreed. I am certainly sorry for his family, but if you step close to any animal you should always expect the animal to do what he deems necessary; bull will impale you, lion will snack out of you.

19. JackieInCo macrumors 601

From what I have read, people in Spain are trying to outlaw bullfighting. I support that idea.

20. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

They've been trying since before I lived there and that was in the mid 70's.
    As long as there is money to be made, the fighting will continue.
    The running of the bulls rakes in millions for the local communities.
    I lived in Rota and we would drive up to Seville and the whole city was involved in some way.
    They would use the garbage trucks to block streets that the bulls would be run through.
    You'd be surprised at how many bulls never made it to the arena.

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Hazard of the job. At least he died doing what he loved, torturing an animal in other words. I'm sure he'll be forgotten in a few days. I put him in the same category as the scumbags of this world that hunt animals just so they can mount their heads on walls. Sadly foxhunters in the UK rarely fall from their horses and break their necks either.

22. MarkusL macrumors 6502

23. steve knight, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

reminds me of a joke a guy in Spain heard about a place that serves huge bull balls. so he was looking forward to it. he gets there and orders and he gets a plate with two small balls. he asks the waiter why are they so small? he says some days the bulls loose some days they win.

24. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I always had sympathy for the basques since they're the bastard children or Europe.

25. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

As always, old people keep ******* up everything. In Spain, especially, we've had low natality rates for a long time, so there's a disproportionate number of old people who still have Franco's era mentality regarding politics (Popular Party), religion (catholic church is still very powerful) and, in this case, bullfighting. It's taking time, but they'll eventually go away and things will change.

Catalonia -one of the most liberal regions- has already outlawed bullfighting.