Hurt by a cutting put-down? Now you can get the perp jailed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 4, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/15/met_police_wastes_2_1m_online_hate_crime_hub/
    if the U.S is NOT careful, we could be next ..........

2. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The article merely said that Scotland Yard will devote detectives to the "Online Hate Crime Hub" but unless UK law has changed, I doubt that a cutting remark will be actionable by prosecutors. UK folks should chime in here, but just because there's an investigative team, that doesn't mean there will be prosecutions unless that body of law already exists.

However, if the unit was say devoted to reviewing sexual blackmail, hate speech, and threats, the unit could do some good.

3. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Well, Scotland Yard has done a superb job thus far at criminalizing a joke.

4. zin macrumors 6502

People have been prosecuted for posting joke videos on YouTube and quoting music lyrics that have racial undertones. Somebody reported the Home Secretary to the police because she gave a speech on immigration, which was later filed as a "hate incident".

The law doesn't even take into account your intent when saying something. The only thing that matters is how the police and the "victim" perceive what you have said.

There is no such thing as freedom of speech in the UK.

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Great - cant even talk about what you want. Awesome.

6. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

The thought police.

7. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

Yikes! Did that actually happen the way that guy described? And if so, does anyone know whether the conviction was upheld and what the sentence was?

I think we've been losing our freedoms here in the U.S. for a while. We don't enjoy individual liberty to the extent I think we should and to the extent that the Founders envisioned. But I'm thankful we have gotten that bad, when it comes to free speech, yet.