Hutchinson (Three) UK: iPad 2 as a hotspot on iOS4.3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jof, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Jof, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

Jof macrumors regular

Hi folks.

In theory the iPad 2 can act as a wireless hotspot - iOS4.3 allows this on both the iPhone and the iPad. However, it needs to be allowed by the operator I gather.

I have a MiFi wireless broadband widget on Three and would like to take out the SIM and use it in the iPad. Trimming/asking-for-a-micro-sim aside, anyone know if this would work? I.e. do Three allow it?

PS, I'm in US currently so I can't test - would be great to know as it kinda affects whether I get a WiFi or 3G+WiFi model

(Convoluted thread title to help with Macrumors SEO ;))

2. spinstorm macrumors 68000

Yes you can use a 3 mobile broadband sim in an iPad 3G. I'm using it now.

There is no option to use it as a hotspot so you won't be able to use the iPad as a wifi mobile hotspot until it's jailbreaked and you can install mywi.

Buy a 3G anyway as it's better to be future proof then regret it later specially as you clearly plan on using it when on the move.

3. Jof thread starter macrumors regular

I'm 75% sure that, technically, the hotspot option can be enabled by the operator without jailbreaking (we have that option here when you are on the right Verizon contract, so it's functionally supported). In an ideal world it'd happen when you first activate the device (as it does on other networks) but as Three doesn't support iPad very well they may have to do some manual tweaking their end...

All of which makes me think; I wonder if there's a tethering profile I can download off the web?

(Happy to JB if push comes to shove)

4. spinstorm macrumors 68000

There is no way to do that. Three currently support iPad natively on contract so that's not the reason.

Maybe Apple hasn't made that option final on iPad but either way there is mo way except via jail breaking to tether using iPad 2.

5. Jof, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

Jof thread starter macrumors regular

Hrmph. That's a pity.

Thanks for the responses though :)

6. Jof thread starter macrumors regular

What's the status of iPad JB'ing these days? Still regular updates?