Hypocrisy Much :)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Plutonius, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018

Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Hypocrisy is often not dependent on ideology (i.e. both sides do it).

We need more prisons but not near my community. We need more power plants but not near my community. We need more road infrastructure but not near my community. We need more taxes but not on my community.

In the case of the California, the Orange County supervisors voted this week to house the homeless in permanent housing in three affluent communities. California currently has a huge homeless problem and recently closed some homeless camps.

Residents said they supported moves to help the homeless — as long as they were moved somewhere else.

My favorite quotes were

"I understand that we should be sensitive to needy people. But definitely, I'm going to fight any kind of facility that's close to our towns and kids."

"We just can't lower our housing values with this population nearby,"

"Who wants tons of traffic, high prices and all kinds of unwanted people around you?"

2. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't think it's necessarily hypocrisy to want to help people (in this case) but also don't want it to "heavily" impact one's own life. One doesn't negate the other. There might be a low-level hypocrisy going on.

That being said - while I think it's important (globally) to help out other countries, there's a lot more we should be doing for people who live in this country in regards to mental health, food and shelter.

3. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

A case of NIMBY, it knows no political or socioeconomic boundaries. That said, as far as California having a huge homeless problem, it's worth noting they also have a population of nearly 40 million people.

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I still just want to give California back to the Mexicans with 24hrs notice

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

But you would go broke because no matter what state you reside in (especially if it's red) you're siphoning from their economy as it's the 6th largest on the planet.

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

There's more to life than money

7. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Hypocrisy to the fullest. We care, but not enough. Don’t screw us, screw someone else. My area is more high class and important than others. I say, move the homeless, HUD, welfare etc population to the major population/communities that supports it. What’s more important? Helping someone wellbeing? Or the value of your home?

8. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

Said no American, ever.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

There's a tower in San Fran that's falling over, they can always stick them there.

10. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Coit?

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

People are willing to giving from their surplus. Very few are willing to give until it hurts. Most of those that do, have a very low threshold of pain.;)

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No, Millennium Tower

13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

This is ALWAYS the behavior you get from the left-wing rich folks. Yep, "help the needy....but dont use MY money to do it". It goes on constantly. They are fine with us "little" folks dealing with plummeting real estate values due to homeless shelters and other welfare type crap being built in our neighborhoods. But dont you DARE try to build that stuff near Rodeo drive or whatever.

Please.....

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'd start building homeless shelters right next to city hall. This would especially make a profound statement in California. The goal, is to empty them and I don't mean send them back on the street. Get them mental help, substance abuse help, incarcerate who ever broke serious laws.

Right next to this:

[​IMG]

15. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

California almost 427 BILLION is dept and does not look to be turning that around anytime soon. It must be a pretty good siphon!

16. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

But that 40,000+ homeless is concentrated in only a few major cities.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Funny. And yet Republicans don't want their tax money used to help the poor but yet Republicans are the greatest users of government assisted programs.

So yeah - let's blame all the problems on rich left-wing folks. That makes perfect sense.

18. BeeGood, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Like @samcraig said, NIMBY-ism isn’t necessarily hypocrisy, it’s simply putting limits on how much of a sacrifice you’re willing to make for the social good. Everyone (left, right and center) does this to some degree.

Lots of people in this country have a bad habit of demonizing others who aren’t “helping” to the extent that they think is “fair”.

19. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Do you have any direct quotes of Republicans saying this? I've never in my life heard anyone say don't use my tax dollars to help the poor.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Then why are Republicans against tax money used for such programs?

https://www.politico.com/story/2017...-programs-food-stamps-welfare-veterans-238314

For example.

Some suggest that the right prefers to give 1:1 instead of to the government to hand out. But my comment and observation remains.

21. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

This is from Orange County California, which is predominantly Republican (in fact, every member of the Orange County Board of Supervisors is a Republican, as is the Mayor of Irvine who is quoted in the article objecting to the plan).

22. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

are you sure you didn't mix-up left-wing with right-wing? i say that because left-wingers are for fair tax code, paying fair share. right-wing mentality is, it's MY money, I ain't paying for society, health care, education.

23. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Orange County hasn't been predominately Republican in over a decade.

Newport Beach doesn't want to become Anaheim or Santa Ana. Who knew?

24. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

As I noted, every single member of the board of supervisors that adopted this plan is a Republican and the only politician quoted as opposing it is also a Republican.

25. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Hell they don't have to say it, they let their party's leaders say it for them in their budget proposals. Here's what Ryan's budget proposal was about as he first laid it out in 2016, even though the majority of Americans don't think trickle-down works and don't think safety net programs should be decimated. Ryan's an Ayn Rand fan, by definition not one for laying out tax dollars to benefit the poor.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/obery-m-hendricks-jr-phd/the-moral-failure-of-the-_b_10330902.html

• Cutting spending on programs like food stamps and education in poor areas, which would have devastating consequences for the 22 percent of American children living in poverty.
    • Turning Medicaid and other programs serving the poor into block grants directly administered by states, many of which are certain to impose requirements so strict that many who are now eligible for those benefits will virtually overnight become ineligible to receive them.
    • Raising the age to receive social security benefits, effectively penalizing the poor who, because of generally inferior healthcare and harsher working conditions than the rich, typically have shorter life spans to enjoy those benefits.
    • Slashing non-defense discretionary spending, including substantial cuts in education, job training and Pell grants, and other programs, to the tune of $250 billion over 10 years. This at a time when the information economy makes education an increasingly important requirement.
    • Eliminating the Alternative Tax, a measure that ensures that the richest Americans, who have at their disposal myriad tax avoidance schemes, will have to pay at least a minimal amount of taxes.
    • Decimating the Affordable Care Act, which would strip millions of people’s access to healthcare, with catastrophic consequences for many.
    • Partially or completely exempting from federal taxes all of the profits American corporations earn abroad that they list in their financial records, including funds from offshore tax havens, potentially increasing their profits by billions of dollars at the cost of billions in lost tax revenue that could be used to offset the budget’s massive social service cuts.