Hypothetical religion question...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by freeny, Jan 15, 2008.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Hypothetically, What would happen if someone died and came back alive and had undeniable, solid proof that god doesn't and never existed?

How would the faithful react?
    Globally, what would happen?
    Would things get better or worse?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't think the concept of "proof" holds much ground to religious types, they'd all just carry on regardless exactly the same as they do now.

:rolleyes:

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

The faithful wouldn't believe it, regardless of any "proof". No more than the unfaithful now believe there is a God.

I think that there would be some "on the fence" religious folks who would stop going to church or what have you, but all religions aren't based on the same god, so many would write it off as there's no Christian/Muslim/... god, not that there isn't a god for that one person.

If we assumed that everyone believed this guy, things would probably get better in the long run.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sure you can. I can prove that there's not a Ferrari in my driveway and Jessica Alba isn't naked in my bed right now......unfortunately :(

Anyways, the religious people would ignore it. Actual proof doesn't mean anything to them.

6. Queso macrumors G4

You can in mathematics. For instance, there is no such thing as the biggest number.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

Completely off-topic (although I suppose it could be defined as a religious experience ;)), I actually had a dream last night that I was with Jessica Alba and she was naked.

8. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

The church would just say he is lying or being coerced by the devil.

9. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

What would you think if someone died and came back to life and said God existed and they had absolute proof?

It seems the preponderance of people that have near death experiences support the existence of God.

Heck there was even one Guy that was dead for 3 days and He came back and said that God absolutely existed. Most people who are declared dead and then brought back to life are only dead a few minutes, maybe an hour. This Guy was dead 3 whole days. Imagine that.

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

...in this context.

11. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I think a fair number of the faithful would be so blinded that they wouldn't accept the proof. In fact, I think even a number of the not blind would question the proof itself, as well as its source. Remember, religion countenances that deceivers will exist among us. But, if the proof is provable, then the majority would capitulate.

Globally, you would see a strong overall shift towards atheism. But, I think you would see significant social upheaval as a good number of people that have been good solely out of fear of wrath would then find carte blanche to act like idiots.

Eventually, things would balance out and people would be roughly the same, but there would be a strong shift towards lifetime gratification. That is, you wouldn't see as much done to help others as you see now, and you wouldn't see people worrying about future generations as much as what they want in their lifetimes.

Now, I suppose the same question has to be asked in reverse. How would the world change with incontrovertible proof of God?

I imagine that faiths outside of the "proved" God would go nuts, arguing that the proof is of the Devil. I think atheists would respond in a fashion similar to the above, questioning the proof and provider. Some would refuse to accept it, but I think a majority would.

Globally, you would see chaos. This would be moreso in nations where the proved God isn't the majority religion. But, things would begin to settle down, as strength of the moral superiority that the proved factions would believe themselves to have would be much more sustaining than that of the disproved.

I think things would get a little better, as people would worry more about whatever the proved God wanted people to worry about would be a strong focus in society. Now, keep in mind, I'm hoping that God is good. I think you would see the rise of a single global theocracy, but I haven't heard of a God who wasn't so wise as to defy human understanding, so I can't see that as a bad thing. especially since I'd expect that someone who could prove God would be in a position to know what God wants (either through direct communication or a very clear understanding).

12. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

We would believe that the proof was created by Satan to deceive us into losing our faith. ;)

Actually, what type of proof could someone ever bring back from the dead that proved there was no God? Coming back from the dead with some sort of proof would mean that the person had an afterlife type experience which would mean there is more to life than just this world. If there is no afterlife and a person simply rots when they die, what type of proof would they bring back if they revived? By coming back from the dead with proof, they are providing evidence for an afterlife, which points towards the existence of some sort of god.

13. Queso macrumors G4

Considering we don't even have proof he ever lived at all, that claim can't really be taken as absolute evidence can it ;)

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

But, the question isn't what proof would be sufficient, simply that there is proof. Given absolute proof, whatever it is, how would the OPs questions play out?

15. Queso macrumors G4

I disagree strongly with this. A dog has no concept of religion yet doesn't mess his own bed.

16. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

Well considering the source has been scrutinized and vetted more than any other history ever written. There is not a single piece of literature that can be traced as close to the original source, any other written classic of the period can only be traced physically with 500 years or so. This source is within 50 - 60 years.

17. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

18. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

That questioned is already answered in the religious texts of people who believe in God, but not Judaism. They are told that if God doesn't exist, then they are the most miserable of all people, because there would be no hope. But fortunately, they have hope :)

19. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yes, but that dog does mess other dog's beds. However, I'd like to think that humans, with our fairly unique skill of empathy and ability to see the world from a perspective other than our own, would be able to react a bit more intelligently than the canine population.

20. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

No, but there is no benefit to him for it. On the other hand, I think a fair number of people on the planet are good, at least partially, because they believe that goodness will be rewarded in the afterlife (be it going to heaven, nirvana, reincarnate as a higher form, etc). If that carrot (and the stick of punishment) is removed, why wouldn't people be more likely to seek lifetime gratification?

I'm not saying that it is a bad thing, but I think that people would embrace that which appeases them in this lifetime, rather than seeking out their "riches in heaven" (you've seen bumper stickers)

21. Queso macrumors G4

Absolute rubbish. There are masses of Greek and Roman texts from the era that can even be traced to within 10 years or closer.

Anyway, let's not go too far off-topic shall we?

22. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I am not very good with hypotheticals unless I can see how they would actually happen.

If there was absolute, undeniable proof, I would believe it (because one cannot deny something that is truly undenible) and my entire world would be shaken to its core. If the proof simply looked like it might be true, I would search for the truth through prayer and careful examination of the evidence, looking at the proof from all angles.

23. Queso macrumors G4

You make it sound as if lifetime gratification and being a productive, caring member of society are mutually exclusive.

24. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

You are absolutely right here. Those two aspects of life go hand-in-hand. Unfortunately most people do not see personal gratification coming from helping and loving others.

25. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Sure… and we are also able to say that the Brothers Grimm collected their stories during the first decades of the 19th century… :rolleyes: