Hypothetical: What will you do if the next iPhone doesn't have LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Still has the other improvements of course but interested in iPhone enthusiasts: If the next iPhone doesn't have LTE... do you still buy it? Do you leave to Android / Windows phone?

2. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Once you've been spoiled with LTE, it would be very difficult to give it back. I'd stick with my Razr Maxx. Maybe see what superphone comes out of the Android pipeline over the next few months.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it would be a really tough sell if the new iphone didn't have lte, especially on verizon.

4. stickybuns macrumors 6502

LTE isn't really a make it or break it feature for me. 90% of the time, I'm connected to my home network.

Granted, I wasn't really planning to get the new iPhone (or any phone for that matter) when my 4S is still working great.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The likelihood of no LTE is very high.

It seems that Apples assault on the competition is beginning to cause push back problems for them.

Having experienced LTE on my Galaxy S III, I can say it's really terrific.

I will look forward to a new iPhone next year or the year after, once they include a larger display and LTE.

In the meantime I will just keep using my 4S along with my spectacular Android phones.

6. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

If that happens I will continue to enjoy my LTE, and my 96 Gigs of storage on my superior Galaxy S3 device. Love it:cool:

Oh, did I mention the screen...

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

LTE and the bigger screen are the main things I"m looking forward to. If there's no LTE I'll stick with my 4S or try the WP8 phones later in the year. However, even without LTE, there may be some new "feature" (like Siri was) that may make buying the phone worth it.

8. Technarchy, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Don't care. Not even a little bit. My HSPA+ Service is outstanding and the coverage is massive.

And there is no LTE AT&T coverage within my area. Not even close.

9. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

10. BSben macrumors 6502a

In the UK it will have no impact as LTE will not be introduced here until the next generation iPhone. The UK is falling far behind the rest of the world in this field.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

That would seal the deal that I wouldn't pick it up.

12. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

I'd still buy it and live with 3G. Nothing I do requires that much bandwidth, and if it did I'd probably want a larger device than an iPhone to do the work. If I really needed the LTE bandwidth I'd just get a dedicated hotspot device instead of using the built in phone function.

13. Geckotek, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Haha, why does this thread not surprise me. And the typical characters are here.

You obviously haven't been reading re: LTE and FRAND. If the Samsung patents apply, they'll be forced to license them to Apple. So while Apple may get forced to pay if they didn't up front, Samsung can't withhold and prevent Apple from using LTE.

The next iPhone will have LTE so none of this matters.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm not in the market for a new iPhone this year, but if I were, I'd still buy it without LTE because AT&T isn't LTE in my area yet.

15. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Lol, yea...

The likelihood of no LTE - is NONE.

16. alent1234 macrumors 603

its not the licenses, its the radio chips. qualcomm's LTE and everything else radio chips are only now being produced in volume on their new 28nm process. these are the only ones that will do LTE/CDMA and every other worldwide tech and frequency range in one chip.

apple does not like to have different hardware in the same product

17. SprSynJn Guest

Not sure if I'm in the minority here, but I have no intention of utilizing LTE even if it's supported. I am perfectly fine with 3G and will only pay for that. I have wifi at home, and can access it many places where I live, so hi speed networks are not a necessity for me.

18. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I would still buy it. Have never owned an LTE phone being that the only phones I have ever owned since 2007 were iPhones, so I don't know what I'm missing.

Plus LTE isn't even in my area yet.

19. troop231 macrumors 603

Having no LTE in the new iPhone isn't a deal breaker for me. It's a bonus if there is however. I've been quite content with 3G speeds for the work I do. :)

20. mojo pin macrumors regular

mojo pin

Wouldn't be an issue for me. I don't even have LTE coverage where I live, and I have WiFi access at the places I spend most of my time. It definitely wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.

21. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Hadn't even considered it wouldn't have LTE but if that was the case, I hate to admit it but I'd probably stick with the Galaxy Nexus I had only planned to use for about a month and wait to see both the upcoming WP8 phones and the next Nexus device(s). I'm not entitled to a full subsidy on the next iPhone so if I'm paying more, it better at least have LTE. After using LTE on my iPad, it's a must have on my next device.

22. Geckotek, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I was replying to ixodes who seems to think Samsung has Apple over a barrel and will prevent the launch due to LTE patents they hold.

And everything I've seen seems that the Qualcomm MDM9x15 was ready for the iPhone 5.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Since my current phone, iPhone 4, doesn't have LTE I don't think I'd miss it if the next one doesn't have it.

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Since I'm switching to Verizon, I will most likely switch if iP5 doesn't have LTE. I've been spoiled by my iPad. No way I will tolerate being stuck with 1-2 Mbps 3G speeds.

I'll probably wait for the next Nexus phone since I prefer to have stock Android. If it isn't announced or due to be announced by December, I would probably go with a SGIII or Razor Maxx.

25. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Doesn't matter. Still going to buy it. :D
    Where I'm at, LTE isn't available. Not sure when it'll be available.