Hypothetical - Would Apple/AT&T offer a one year upgrade deal for 2011 iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skiltrip, Jul 21, 2010.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

If Apple corrects all this antenna stuff in 2011, and say they actually do save the day (like I'm sure they are trying for, they want to be the hero), and actually create an antenna system that's superior and death-grip proof... Do you think Apple/AT&T would offer the 2011 iPhone for the normal subsidized price (and a contract top up) for people that started a new 2-yr contract in 2010? Maybe the offer would be you need to complete your 1st year of the contract or something.

Not that I expect this, nor is it swaying me to purchase or not (i already ordered my iP4). But this would be somewhat of a hero move on Apple's part. To be this first to conquer this "industry-wide problem" of the death-grip, and then to let all their loyal customers in on the revolution.

Again, like the title says, just hypothetical (for entertainment purposes only), but what do you all think?

2. synagence macrumors 6502a

Highly unlikely ... Most global carriers have still given you a large subsidy for the phone .... and apple's offered a 'remedy' of a case or an extended get-out oportunity for the users...

Therefore they'll take it that anyone who's a user now is happy and/or satisfied...

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Doubtful.

AT&T needs to make a profit and selling subsidized phones means having consumers pay for the phone over the 2 years of their contract.

They bumped up most everyone's date this year for two reasons I believe.
    Lock everyone in for 2 years, so if verizon does get an iPhone next year they'll have most people committed, secondly they also increased the ETF so if someone is tempted to break their contract and jump ship, it will cost them dearly.

4. CashDude macrumors regular

I don't see why not. They've allowed iPhone launch-week buyers to upgrade a year early every time so far.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Also Apple is of the belief that their phone is no different from any other smart phone and is pretty much decided that their new antenna design is their best yet.

6. 101AirAssault macrumors member

IMHO it is.

7. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

+1 :apple:

8. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

I'm eligible for an upgrade next June already.

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I'm still aghast they were so lenient with the 3GS owners. When you buy an iPhone, you contractually sign on for 2 years of AT&T to cover the true cost of the phone. Yes, I realize that AT&T gives you credit for "good behavior" (high usage), but they are under no obligation to do so. The original iPhone was unsubsidized...those are the only owners who had a legitimate complaint after a year.

All I know is, no matter how great/flawed any iPhone is, there are going to be those who, after 12 months, feel thay DESERVE a penalty-free upgrade.

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

AT&T already offers 1 year upgrade deal for their customers.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

I wonder if ATT would be "clever" as to offer the early upgrade BUT you needed to switch your data plan off unlimited OR wait/pay full price. I wonder how many people would take them up on that offer

12. BadMoon macrumors 6502

How do you get that? :confused:

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You have to be on the plan that is around 80-99 dollars a month. Your voice only. So, if you are on the unlimited talk plan, you are good. If you are on the family plan and you are the primary line, then you would be good. If you are on the family plan and you are on the add a line plan (9.99 dollars), then you are better off crying to our majesty Steve Jobs.

14. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

I THINK this is only for customers who pay more than $X a month for their bill. Not sure what the figure is.. maybe $100+? I could be wrong on that. I've just recently been trying to learn about AT&T's policies. I've been on Virgin Mobile prepaid for ~7 years, so I haven't had to think about any of this contract stuff.

15. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You are right. But, I think that has been changed a bit because AT&T got rid of 100 dollars price for unlimited. I think they offer it for like what 70 dollars a month? I could be wrong on the price a bit. But, if you have iphone 4 and you are on the unlimited talk plan, then you have a strong chance of getting iphone 5 a discounted price a year from now on.

16. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Here is the best suggestion. We can all cry for iphone 5 upgrade. That's what most people did on 3GS and iphone 4 antenna issues. And we won. So, we should all cry out loud then all of us will be eligible.

17. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

+1. I worked for the free case. lol.

18. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

right... why do people think what happened this summer is a new thing? I've upgraded every summer since the first iPhone...

19. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

i pay less than $70 a month and i was able to upgrade from my launch day 3gs to the 4 for the cheapest price with no upgrade fee! I have been with them for many many years though

20. papo2 macrumors member

me too! I purchased the iPhone4 on release date and AT&T is already showing that I am eligible for an upgrade June 2011.

21. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Same boat. June 30th according to AT&T. Now it's just the waiting game, for the jailbreak that is.

22. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I'm the primary on my family plan so I was able to upgrade from my 3GS (bought on launch day) to a 4 at the best price. However, my sister got her 3G in April 2009 and is also eligible for the 4 at the best price...and she is one of the extra lines on my family plan. Not that I'm complaining, but I'm not sure how they determine eligibility