I’m torn. . . iPhone X or 8 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zord, Sep 13, 2017.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Did this legitimately terrify anyone else, or just me?

[​IMG]

2. Falhófnir macrumors 6502

Falhófnir

You could've made a case for the 8 if it started at the same price as the 7, but as things stand it's just illogical to spend that much and not just go all in on the exciting new design etc.

3. thirdeye313 macrumors newbie

thirdeye313

That is exactly what I am thinking. The 8+ model I'd want is $949.. Might as well go for the X at that price. All these phones are super expensive. Sucks pricing has changed.. This will be my first phone purchase since the 6+. Been a while and I want it to feel as new of an experience as possible, especially if I'm spending this much $$$.. But i do think either phone would kick ass and be a huge upgrade over what I'm used to.. Good luck!

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I honestly don't understand the price hike for the 8 and 8 Plus, unless it's to make a bigger divide between the 6s/7/8.

5. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Tbh the wait/shortage doesn't bother me, because my 7+ is still pretty ****ing great. No problem waiting another few months.

Remember when we used to all be locked into 2-year contracts, anyway? This is nothing. :cool:

6. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

I'm in exactly the same boat. I have the regular 7 at the moment. I like both the 8 Plus and X. I want the X but the release date, along with doubts about Face ID, and no Touch ID, as well as the software looking unfinished in places, is making me think 8 Plus. Problem is, it's a HUGE phone. I reckon I'd have a hard time using it but idk as haven't tried. Sure I've used the 7 Plus briefly in store but hard to say how that'd translate into daily usage. The cameras and the OLED screen are the things making me think go for the X.

My question is: How much difference would there be between the 8 Plus f1.8, f2.8 cameras along with only the Wide Angle camera having OIS compared to the X f1.8, f2.4 with OIS on both cameras?

Its mainly down to camera for me I think, despite me wanting that OLED screen of the X.

Also, if I went 8 Plus, I'd get the 256gb on Upgrade Program and have the ability to get the 2nd gen X next year or whatever, or if I went X it'd be the 256gb Low Monthly Payments plan but keep it for the full 20 months.

Please can anyone help with this dilemma? Really stuck!

7. Niacchus macrumors newbie

Good point regarding the cameras, I wonder when we will get reviews and comparisons so we can make a decision. That being said, I'm sure the 8+ is a good camera as its an improvement on the 7+

8. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

I'm sure both are great yeah. Will be quite a large upgrade over my regular 7 camera. How are the 7+ cameras for you?

9. newb-sasquatch macrumors newbie

Yes I am on the fence about upgrading. I have a 6+ so considering jumping to the 8+ 256GB. I am not certain I want to be one of the "first" with the face ID tech and I really like the touch id feature. I chose the 256gb because I fear the 64GB will eventually become the 16 and 32gb that were starved for storage. I'll probably keep the 8+ for a few years until the face ID tech has matured. I also like how the 8+ has wireless charging. It seems gimicky to me right now but a few years down the road when bars and airports start putting them in public places I will be glad I have it.

My s/o has the 5 and she is looking to jump all the way up to the X. Her reasoning is she never got to experience touch ID so won't miss it. LOL

10. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

I’ve been annoyed with the overall size of he plus phones for a while now.

What I’ve wanted for a while is a phone the size of the 7 with the plus camera.

The x seems to have done that while also adding a bigger screen than the 7.

Still can’t justify that price tag though.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

In a way, I envy her.

12. missbing macrumors regular

missbing

Isn't the 8 and 8+ the same price as the 6's and 7's? I purchased the 6s plus at release. It was $949 for the 128gb. The 8 plus 256gb is the same $949 except it has double the storage.

13. spoon72 macrumors regular

spoon72

I'll choose the X (256GB)since I won't be replacing it for at least 3 more years.currently using ip6.

14. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

They’re $50 more expensive than last years’s 7 price. The 7 was $650 at launch and 8 is $700.

15. missbing macrumors regular

missbing

So, it seems like they reduced the price from the 6s to the 7, then went back up with the 8. I wonder how the X will be priced next year. I would assume the X will reduce by at least $100, hopefully.

16. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

No the 6s and 7 were priced the same.

17. missbing macrumors regular

missbing

Not sure how the smaller gb was priced, but the highest gb 128gb was priced at $949, which is the same price as the iPhone 8 256gb. If the 6s and 7 was the same price, that means the higher gb 8 is also the same.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Maybe it's because there's no longer a mid gb tier and the base for the 8 is higher than the 6 and 7?

18. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I'm choosing the 8+ and not the X.

I don't really want Face ID or the notch. I don't want to wait until November. And I don't want to pay $59/month on payments. The 8+ is $45/month.

19. NateEssex macrumors 6502

I wouldn't say the iP8 is just an iP7...you get wireless charging and the greatly upgraded processor. Coming from a 6S+, I also get moderate water resistance.

20. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Wait a second, no more tab bars in Landscape mode?!

21. davidwoon macrumors newbie

Coming from the latest Android Samsung phones with bezel-less screens, I wish to add that the 8+ is a better phone.

Having that Bezel makes all the difference. Do you know how hard it is to hold a phone without any bezels?

How would you be holding it long enough to watch / read in landscape mode ?

The Bezel also helps to balance the phone when you are typing. Having zero bezel at the bottom means that the phone is top heavy and not comfortable / susceptible to dropping.

8+ > X

What do you all think?

22. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

I paid $849 for the 6S+ 64gb at release, the 8+ 64g is $799 so $50 less vs the X at $999

23. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Neurolink...something is eerie about it.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    The geekbench of x is amazing.

24. eyedoc2020 macrumors regular

If you don't consider price a BMW is an upgrade over a Chevy. You always have to consider price when determining if something is worth it.