I’m torn. . . iPhone X or 8 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zord, Sep 13, 2017.

1. mwhals macrumors 6502

That is $200 less for the same capacity. Get both with 256 GB and it is still $200. Not really a good comparison to compare a 256 GB 8+ with a 64 GB X.

2. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

That's full screen on the X. It also has an option for black bars on each side if you don't want the notch to interfere.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    I was replying to the poster who said they didn't know how much the lower 6S+ 64gb went for. Not comparing the 256gb

3. vtboyarc macrumors regular

vtboyarc

If you compare here: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

The iPhone X has one hour less battery life for internet usage (12 hours) than the iPhone 8 Plus (13 hours). It has less battery life in other areas too.
    I guess the X’s smaller size, bigger screen = less battery life.
    So for me, it comes down to, do I want the optical image stabilization and slightly bigger aperture on the telephoto lens on the X (which means need less light required for portrait mode) and the OLED screen, or do I want all the new specs in the 8 Plus, with better battery life...

4. missbing macrumors regular

missbing

I was comparing the 6/7 to the 8, not the X as we know that's priced at a premium. The lower gb 8 is higher in price by $50 than the 6/7 was. But that's probably because the 8 has a higher gb as the base model than the 6/7. The higher gb 8 is actually the same price as the higher go 6/7 was, but you get double the storage on the 8.

5. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

One thing I'm going to do is wait for reviews. The X may feel a bit beta for a while. If so, perhaps the 8 Plus is a better bet until next year.

6. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Looks like plus is better value than x...but if you're spec guy x burned ipad pro.

7. vtboyarc macrumors regular

vtboyarc

The problem is...that’s in geekbench scores. Won’t be very discernable in real world usage. And the test use the x, yes, but, it has the same A11 chip as the 8.

8. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

So...what is it that you're looking for?

9. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Sorry, got confused. I thought they were talking about the 6S+

10. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

My pocketbook made the decision easy: 8+ The iPhone X will be standard in two years... I can wait for the price to come down. Now getting up at 2:45 am EDT to order one that will be difficult...

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

There are valid arguments being made for both the 8Plus and the X. What is this madness??!! People actually having amiable disagreements on MacRumors? It’s a Christmas miracle ;))

12. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

But didn't last year's phones start at only 32GB of storage?

This year they're 64GB

13. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

I wish Apple was stable with storage rather than mixing it around every year.

14. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Well... they were "stable" with 16GB for so long.... and now they're finally giving a decent amount. :)

15. Ralfi macrumors 6502

Ralfi

I wonder if this is to retain aspect ratio whilst viewing video with no black bars on top/bottom?

16. CoriG macrumors 6502

why would you keep he X for the full 20 months? Why not upgrade next year?

I look at it this way.... I am looking at an $11 increase per month from the 7+ to the X. At which point, I can pay off 1-2 months and upgrade again next Sept. That being said, I am very torn...

17. magbarn macrumors 68000

I was dead set on getting the X but the faceid is a turnoff along with the Samsung pentile display (which for me looks greenish when viewed off-axis). But the biggest turnoff is the potential extra charges for the X IF you're on ATT NEXT program. First, there's $45 x 2 months of extra payments as the X is 2 months (pay periords) late AND next year you're going to have to pay an additional 2 months of early payments in order to qualify when the X(S) comes out in the usual September time frame...
    So early adopters are going to get jacked an extra 4 payments they shouldn't have had to if you go with the 8 this year and get the Xs next year

18. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Apple is finally making more storage widely available for different model iPhones. It just confuses me as to how different every iPhone is for storage. Likely based on the specific iPhone sales for specific models.

19. William Payne macrumors 6502

Why is it that some people "Must have now!!!! can't wait a couple of months!!!" Also what are you guys doing to use up so much gigs on your phones. I can't say I've gone over 10 gigs used space on my iPhone. I don't do much besides youtube though.

20. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

X just looks wrong, but I reserve judgment until I've tried one.
    The notches just look wrong and my concern is apps and web pages won't display correctly and or be partly hidden

21. William Payne macrumors 6502

Regarding the notches in the iPhone X, it is just space that otherwise would have been taken up by the bezels. But yes we will have to see how apps and videos look with the notches.

22. recoil80 macrumors 68000

If you use many apps in landscape mode just go for the 8+
    Landscape will look awful on iPhone X, because of the notch and even because the aspect ratio would be bad, you need as much high as possibile in a landscape app.
    Everyone use the iPhone in portrait most of the time, so it shouldn't be a problem for the majority of customers, but I don't know how games will look like, and the notch will always be there.

I'm sure I'm not going to get X, I'm tempted to move to the plus but don't know if 8+ is worth the price. I may get the 7+ I should find good deals

23. Chic0 macrumors 6502

Going from a 6 to 8+. Think i'll wait for FaceID to mature and maybe pick up an X or X2 next year

24. rhaatou macrumors newbie

6S regular, I'm also torn between the X and IP8+.

I'm a European user, my carrier has a (very similar to apple) upgrade program every year. So going for for an X over an 8+ is about 180-200 USD more over a year.

My main issue is waiting until end October to pre-order then waiting again to receive the device. Potentially it could be waiting until January to receive the device. After that I'd have to wait 12 months until being able to order the next model, so I'd always be 3-4 months late to a new model.

The main thing selling me towards the 8+ is the immediate availability, camera and touchid/home button. Just a bit scared it will be too big (I've tried the 7+ in stores and it seems ok but the test is when you use it daily)

The X is great and paying the extra money wouldn't be a problem, but I potentially see myself being frustrated with the lack of home button and face id. Seeing myself as poop sounds fun for the first 30 minutes but it will be around for years anyways and I can visit an apple store to have fun.

The 8+ just seems a lower risk device overall and one that I can upgrade away from earlier next year whereas the X might actually be nice (when it arrives) but will mean I'll always be late in the next years. I also tend to think the X is more of a prototype and next year's X replacement will be the real deal.

I'm not sure if I'm alone here or if others think the same way.

25. edfoo macrumors regular

You really think Apple will lower the future price of X (and future XI and XII with bezel-less screen) down to current 8/8+ price range? Did you see Apple lower the launch price of 6/6s/7 down to the launch price of 4/4s/5?