Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
I would add one additiona note for why I like using more external storage options than internal, and that is with an external SSD or even HDD, for as long as it continues working, they can be used from device to device. I might spend $600 on a internal SSD upgrade on a MacBook Pro, but that money is only well spent as long as I own/use it. As soon as it is sold or fails, that’s $600 I don’t have anything to show for. An external SSD in theory can easily outlive what ever machine I first bought it for, and by this philosophy will pay for itself many times over.
Yeah, why pay $600 extra with each of the next three laptops you buy, when you can spend it once and share it with the three (as an example)?

By the way, with all my talk about speed sacrifice, it is possible to get an external Thunderbolt SSD that doesn't sacrifice speed. You are looking at 2x the cost compared to a T5, but it is inline with the upgrade prices Apple charges. Plus, I also notice there are ways you can get the cost almost at parity with a T5 when you hit about 4TB (using this and these).

Reactions: Painter2002

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yeah, why pay $600 extra with each of the next three laptops you buy, when you can spend it once and share it with the three (as an example)?

It boils down to convenience and how much value a person places on having the storage internal vs. added on. It also of course also depends on how often you cycle laptops. I tend to be on a roughly four year replacement cycle, and my choice was whether to go with the base 512GB MBP15 or upgrade to 1TB for an extra $360. Primary stuff would fit on 512GB, with secondary yet still regularly used stuff I'm above 512GB.

So for me the choice works out to about $7.50 per month to have room for the secondary stuff inside the MBP rather than in an external drive. Less than the price of a beer at the ballpark. I went with the upgrade.

How that equation works out for others is dependent on their particulars of course.

Reactions: Painter2002

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I would have apple look at it.
I probably will. The problem is that I can't reproduce this behaviour without typing for, sometimes, a few hours. So it's not really easy to demonstrate. (I use 's' in this post quite a lot, and it didn't register twice...) Also with this keyboard there's a chance it's already "fixed itself". :p

automan98

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Hi everyone,

I need to buy a new MBP and I was looking for the 2018 models but I’m really worried about these 3 issues :

-Kernel Panic
-Audio crackle
-Thermal issues (some users are reporting very high temps)

So I don’t really know if it’s safe to buy a MBP now. Do you think Apple is going to fix these issues soon ?

I can wait 1 month maximum... But I’m really concerned about all of this.

:(

I've had mine for three weeks. Never had a kernel panic. Audio crackle have had, but fix coming soon. Never had thermal issues. Very happy with it so far.

Reactions: svgn

Adeel_

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
Hi everyone,

So I got my MBP today and I used it few hours.

I didn't notice any temps issues or noisy fan so far, the upper side of the TB is hot that's true but that's okay.
I was really excepting something bad.

The screen is gorgeous, I like the keyboard, it feels good to type.

I'm listening to youtube since 2 hours, I didn't have any single crackling sound.

The first thing I did is install the Supplemental Update 2.

I'll keep you updated if I have any issues... :)

svgn

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2018
My 5th day with MBP 13" base model. No issues so far, except one KP, but it was a MacOS panic, not BridgeOS and it happened when I used the Anker's USB 3.0 adaptor. No high temps. Battery life, screen, speakers, touch bar, keyboard and build quality are amazing.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I have not encountered any of those issues with my 2018 MBP 13" i5. It does however have a tiny dust particle trapped between the LCD panel and the surface of the display in the top left corner. I don't see a lot of people complaining about trapped dust particles or dead pixels, but it still sucks.

What I'm trying to say is that buying something like this is always going to be a lottery. A lottery that you will have to endure if you want such a device. That's why it's crucial that you buy from a place where you can easily return the product or at the very least exchange as many times as needed without you having to pay extra for every exchange.

I'm still within my 2 week return period from Apple and although the speck of dust is in a spot where it's not really visible, I'm considering a return out of principle. It's a premium product at a premium price after all, so isn't it fair to expect premium quality control?

That speck of dust is not normal dust that is found in homes and offices. It is premium dust speck. ;) Get that machine replaced - for the price you are paying, you are right to expect no flaws and oddities like this.

Adeel_

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
Hello guys,

Just wanted to share some thoughts about my purchase.

2 things that I noticed about noise :

Overall my MBP is very silent, I heard fans for the first time when I imported 1000 raw pictures to LR. But it was for 2min.

After importing raw files, I heard coil whine coming from my SSD while scrolling pictures in LR, my room is dead silent so I noticed it.
It's like HDD scratching. I really have to put my ear to the keyboard to hear it properly.
Then I closed lightroom tried to reproduce it by scrolling pictures but it doesn't came back.

I guess it's normal... :) We will see.

scsyc

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
France
Hi Adeel_,
It's been weeks since I hesitate to buy a 13" MBP 2018. I am following various threads about 2018 gen issues and I must admit I am chilled about buying one. Are you still satisfied with your 15"?

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
The 2018 machines, even the 2016 ones, 2017 ones, were and are really good machines. No doubt they are evolutions. However, they are prone to and riddled with issues that mar the experience of ownership and use, when the issues surface. It is up to individuals to decide if they want to play a lottery with a substantial amount of their heard earned money.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Try to see if you have sound issues that we all have in some way or another...who is saying that is sound issues free, i want an video proof with 2018 model config and 2 tests

So, you can test first, in both itunes radio or youtube to mute/unmute a few times to see if you have popping sound
This is the first test...let me know if you are on High Sierra or Mojave

Adeel_

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
Hi Adeel_,
It's been weeks since I hesitate to buy a 13" MBP 2018. I am following various threads about 2018 gen issues and I must admit I am chilled about buying one. Are you still satisfied with your 15"?
Hey,

I’m very satisfied with my MBP 2018. I have some SSD coil whine, but I only notice it when my room is dead silent. And I guess it’s pretty normal to have it.

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
I have my 2018 15 inch i7 2.6GHz, 512GB coming soon. What am I on the lookout for here?

Also, have any of these issues been resolved with newer manufactured dates or software upgrades? Mojave just came out so hoping that helped?

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
I have not had any issues with my 2018 MBP since Mojave public release. I had a few minor issues before that but now everything is silky smooth.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Why not buy it and try it out. If it doesn't work out return it. I bought the i9/32GB/1TB expecting issues since everyone on this forum seems to think the 2018 MacBook Pro is full of issues. Performance is way better than the 2015 MacBook Pro. I own both the 13 and the 15 from 2015. This is the nicest MacBook Pro I've ever used.
Exactly the same machine as you. Same thoughts.

This is the nicest Mac I have owned, period.

Reactions: AppleHaterLover

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Hi everyone,

I need to buy a new MBP and I was looking for the 2018 models but I’m really worried about these 3 issues :

-Kernel Panic
-Audio crackle
-Thermal issues (some users are reporting very high temps)

So I don’t really know if it’s safe to buy a MBP now. Do you think Apple is going to fix these issues soon ?

I can wait 1 month maximum... But I’m really concerned about all of this.

:(
Hey, I'm about to purchase either a 13" MBP TB, the one for $1799 or a 15" MBP TB, the one for $2399 at the end of Oct. Are these models affected by any of the issues mentioned? I'm just going to buy the mid-priced model. Thanks.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008

By the way, with all my talk about speed sacrifice, it is possible to get an external Thunderbolt SSD that doesn't sacrifice speed. You are looking at 2x the cost compared to a T5, but it is inline with the upgrade prices Apple charges. Plus, I also notice there are ways you can get the cost almost at parity with a T5 when you hit about 4TB (using this and these).

going on these forums always gives buyers remorse... sigh.
bought the 2tb version.

anyway, this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wavlink-...215781?hash=item260119a7a5:g:g7cAAOSwMudbhkmn

seems to be a good option.

MicahTX

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
Richmond, Texas
OK. Newbie here with the same question - to upgrade to the 2018 or stay with my early version 2011? I like my MBP 2011, but it's slowing down and starting to show more spinning beach balls. That worries me. (Everything backed up in iCloud or Time Machine.) I wish Apple didn't do away with my favorite ports. Will need to buy peripherals if I go with 18. (Should mention I'm a retired grandpa and trying hard to learn all this stuff.) Read the keyboard is noisy? Or was that 17s? I do a lot photography so the Air is not an option. Finally, OK to go to Best Buy? They are closer to home and offer $100 off. To stay with 2011 until it crashes or make the change to 2018? I know. Lots of questions. Thanks.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
OK. Newbie here with the same question - to upgrade to the 2018 or stay with my early version 2011? I like my MBP 2011, but it's slowing down and starting to show more spinning beach balls. That worries me. (Everything backed up in iCloud or Time Machine.) I wish Apple didn't do away with my favorite ports. Will need to buy peripherals if I go with 18. (Should mention I'm a retired grandpa and trying hard to learn all this stuff.) Read the keyboard is noisy? Or was that 17s? I do a lot photography so the Air is not an option. Finally, OK to go to Best Buy? They are closer to home and offer $100 off. To stay with 2011 until it crashes or make the change to 2018? I know. Lots of questions. Thanks.

Go for the 2018. Won’t make a difference with all that 401k you got, right? Just kidding.

It should be a night and day difference, well worth your $2200. Best Buy is OK, but the Apple Store offers a 14-day, no questions asked return policy. I’ve heard they’ll take the $100 off if you ask nicely and show the Best Buy Ofer (on the other hand, Best Buy will cover any price You can prove to them is real).

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Well, what exactly do you mean by "safe"? Most people won't run into any of these issues (I didn't, for example), but if one of these issues does turn up, then you can always return the machine or ask to exchange it for a new one, so there's no real risk involved.

It's also worth noting that "very high" temperatures in itself also shouldn't pose any issue as the MBPs never exceed the chip manufacturer-suggested maximum temperatures, so it's not like your MacBook Pro can suddenly break from getting too hot as it is all within safe temperature ranges. There is a bit of talk about how higher temperatures might negatively affect the longevity of the machine but there's very little substantiated evidence so I wouldn't worry about it. So that leaves you with Kernel Panics and audio crackles on your list of possible issues, both of which should become noticeable within the first 30 days.
if its any other laptop yeah but these butterfly keyboards are suspect-able to heat. my 13inch 2016 had key failure in certain spot where it gets hot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.