iPhone X I’ve had an x for about 3 days and it’s disappointing

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
I’m on iOS 11.3 and the battery is terrible.
It’s always overheating and the phone last me a good 6 hours.

With my 8 plus my battery was awesome and I was also running 11.3 and it was great ! Would last me about 8-9 hours

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK

With my 8 plus my battery was awesome and I was also running 11.3 and it was great ! Would last me about 8-9 hours
Sounds like a faulty unit. I get a full 24 hours before charging and about 10-12 hours usage.

Certainly shouldn't be getting warm like that.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I easily am able to make it through the day on my X and I consider myself a moderate to heavy user of my phone. It definitely seems like something is up with your device. I would take it to Apple to look at. Or since you've had it three days, exchange it.

sunapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I don’t know how representative 3 days of usage is, but if it keeps being disappointing like that you should just contact support or return it.

Reactions: NoImage

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016

Your thread title seems to be misleading/confusing from How you’re describing this. You’re saying iOS 11.3 and the battery is ‘terrible’, but what exactly is disappointing about the _iPhone X itself_ aside from overheating? Which when you say “Overheating”, is it to the point where you can’t hold it or are you getting an alert on your iPhone? Are you using an Apple MFI cable and charging brick?

Perhaps Something else is contributing to the battery drain, have you checked your battery usage under settings? If Your iPhone is defective, exchange it for a new one and then reevaluate from there. You’re not listing any of the features that’s causing the iPhone X to be a disappointing experience, it appears this could be something related directly to the battery.

Last edited:

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
Sounds like a bad unit. My X that I have had since 12/17 lasts me thru my day. Check your battery stats to see what may be happening or just have your X swapped out by apple.

srminton

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2008
In my eyes it is not worth the price. Curious what they bring this fall.
If someone got a Samsung Note and said the battery was not lasting more than 6 hours and the phone was running hot, you probably wouldn't say: "In my eyes it it not worth the price." You'd probably wonder why it conflicted with your own experience, and suggest they either return the phone or review their apps.

(I mention Samsung because you have previously said that you currently use a Samsung Note and are considering a Samsung Galaxy for your next upgrade, so I'm assuming you're pretty satisfied with the performance of Samsung phones).

Or to put it another way - judging whether or not the iPhone X is "worth the price" (which it may not be) has nothing to do with this one person's experience of the phone which is clearly an outlier. If every iPhone X was running hot and burning through the battery in 6 hours, we would have had Congressional hearings by now.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Sounds to me it is broken. But if you do not like it, I would go back to your 8 plus. I had one and it is a great device. My X lasts all day long. If your is getting hot, it is either broken or you are playing games or watching videos.

blairh

macrumors 68040
Dec 11, 2007
The 8 Plus has better battery than the X.

What do you mean overheating?

What are you doing so your phone only lasts 6 hours?

aakshey

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2016
The battery should last 8-10 hours or so of usage over 16-36 hrs standby.

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Sounds like a faulty unit. I get a full 24 hours before charging and about 10-12 hours usage.

Certainly shouldn't be getting warm like that.
It’s always warm. Near the top camera

What do your battery stats say about what is using the most battery?
YouTube , Twitter and Instagram. It all says background activity
Your thread title seems to be misleading/confusing from How you’re describing this. You’re saying iOS 11.3 and the battery is ‘terrible’, but what exactly is disappointing about the _iPhone X itself_ aside from overheating? Which when you say “Overheating”, is it to the point where you can’t hold it or are you getting an alert on your iPhone? Are you using an Apple MFI cable and charging brick?

Perhaps Something else is contributing to the battery drain, have you checked your battery usage under settings? If Your iPhone is defective, exchange it for a new one and then reevaluate from there. You’re not listing any of the features that’s causing the iPhone X to be a disappointing experience, it appears this could be something related directly to the battery.
over all this phone is disappointing
The 8 Plus has better battery than the X.

What do you mean overheating?

What are you doing so your phone only lasts 6 hours?
mostly just safari , Instagram , Snapchat and Spotify

AceFernalld

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
It’s always warm. Near the top camera
Being warm is not overheating. Sometimes the first few days they're slower / warmer / get worse battery life because they're indexing. But 3 days in that should not be a problem anymore. I've had my X since it came out and I love it.

Edit: I came from a 7 Plus and the X definitely doesn't get as good battery life but I can still make it last a day. If you remain dissatisfied over the next week you may want to return it and wait for the 'X2 Plus,' which should have a bigger screen and a bigger battery

Reactions: saltd

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
If someone got a Samsung Note and said the battery was not lasting more than 6 hours and the phone was running hot, you probably wouldn't say: "In my eyes it it not worth the price." You'd probably wonder why it conflicted with your own experience, and suggest they either return the phone or review their apps.
You took the bait :)

960design

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL

My X only acts like that when I'm mining crypto. Definitely should get it checked out.

Good news! You still have 12 days to return it, no questions asked.

rugmankc

Contributor
Sep 24, 2014
You bought an X in December. Why are you buying another one and just realizing it is disappointing--Just Curious

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
He had an X in November as well.
The OP sounds like he/she might be a chronic complainer
[doublepost=1524613519][/doublepost]
Sold it , bought an 8plus , bought another x, handed it down to my sister , bought another x to give it a try. Overheats
You already bought 2 X's before this. You should know by now the phone is a disappointment. I knew right away when I bought my second one that the phone wasn't for me

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016

(I mention Samsung because you have previously said that you currently use a Samsung Note and are considering a Samsung Galaxy for your next upgrade, so I'm assuming you're pretty satisfied with the performance of Samsung phones).

Or to put it another way - judging whether or not the iPhone X is "worth the price" (which it may not be) has nothing to do with this one person's experience of the phone which is clearly an outlier. If every iPhone X was running hot and burning through the battery in 6 hours, we would have had Congressional hearings by now.
You took the bait :)
Its no bait and it is still not worth the price battery issues or not. ‍♂