I absolutely love this clamshell, but it needs a ram upgrade. But what kind of ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by likemyorbs, May 25, 2009.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

This is my beautiful clamshell ibook, i love it and wouldnt give it up for the world. It runs os x tiger pretty well, but sometimes it gets a little choked up, and it cant run youtube very well. it currently has 320mb ram, thats 64mb soldered to the logic board plus a 256mb chip. i know i can take the 256 out and put in a 512mb chip, leaving me with 576mb ram. but i have absolutely no idea what kind to get, and i've googled it for a while. can anyone help? i also wanted to upgrade the hard drive, but after looking at the steps required to replace a hard drive in these things, i quickly changed my mind.

Attached Files:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

PC66 3.3V 144-pin SO-DIMM is the exact name of the RAM you need.

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    First of all, that looks amazing with the Aurora background (but it's actually 10.4?)

Crucial says your maxed out already.

But here is the info it lists about the 256k chip:

Package: 144-pin SODIMM
    Feature: SDRAM, PC133
    Specs: SDRAM, PC133 • CL=2 • Non-parity • 133MHz • 3.3V • 32Meg x 64 •

Don't know if that helps, but I thought I would give it a shot for ya! :)

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

5. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Would the PC100 work also since it is a G3? Does anyone know what that really means?

Likemyorbs, this is where you should get it from for sure. I have always bought my Mac memory there. And its cheap.. :)

6. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

thanks so much for that link! ill definitely buy from there if i can figure out which one it is. but there still seems to be a little confusion about exactly what kind it needs, but i guess thats why i started this thread haha

EDIT: i looked at the models this supports http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/100SO512328L/, and mine seems to be on the list so ill give it a go! thanks!

7. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Thanks! Yeah it's 10.4, i just google imaged the leopard background because i thought it would look cool, which it totally does.

8. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

and thanks to you too, im pretty sure the ram im about to buy is PC66 backwards compatible