I am 100% certain that I feel asleep one night and then woke up in an alternate universe

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ActionableMango, Feb 13, 2017.

1. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

In my original universe, everyone referred to adapters as adapters.

Now I'm in some sort of parallel universe where everyone still refers to adapters as adapters, unless they are sold by Apple, in which case everyone except Apple refers to Apple's adapters as dongles.

Since there is no rational reason why simultaneously overnight everyone worldwide would start referring to Apple's adapters as dongles, I have reached the inescapable conclusion that I have traveled to a parallel universe where that's just perfectly normal.

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

3. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

It's because of the sheer hilarity of the fact that you need an adapter to connect the phone and computer... Made by the same company.
    You'd have an easier time connecting a USB C Android.

I think the nickname stuck just like the word "Gate" and the phrase "You're doing it wrong" did.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

But the good news is once you update all your stuff to a USB C connection you will no longer need a dongle or (as I still call it) an adaptor.
    The bad news is I have so many USB 2/3 peripherals that by the time I get them all changed, :apple: will have moved on to USB D (which of course won't be backwards capability).

How many things in your house have USB 2/3? 30+, 60+, 100+?
    Granted a lot aren't used anymore, but some are. I don't need a faster port to power my USB fan or charge my headphones.

5. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

7 I think. With three in active use

6. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I've been using the term 'dongle' for years...mostly because it sounds silly.

7. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I think I'm missing something.
    Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 7.47.16 PM.png
    In any store I've gone too and on Apple's store everything is labeled as Adapter. Other than someone on a stage using the term dongle I can't remember it ever actually being labeled as such.

8. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Agreed. I've never seen it labeled "dongle" in any type of print/ad/marketing material, etc. I caught the term from an IT class I took years ago. Besides myself and one friend of mine that use the term in kind of a goofy joking way, I've never heard anyone else use it.

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

[Curmudgeon]Ugh! Marketing people at it again.:mad: How dare they bastardize a word old greybeards have long associated with something else.:eek: In my days, a dongle was a piece of hardware required for a program to run. This was back when expensive software had hardware copy protection. And a Hacker was someone who cobbled together a nifty piece of code, not someone who broke into computers. They were called Cracker. Marketeers bastardizing old words and making up nonsensical ones.:mad::mad::mad:[\Curmudgeon]

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The good news is that everything is moving towards wireless. Probably won't need many in 10 years. I work in the education field, so approximately 50 years for me.

11. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

I just purchased a USED Android phone (Nexus 6P -- released before the Touch Bar Macbooks) and it uses a USB-C to USB-C connector.

AND it ships with a USB-A to USB-C connector. Go figure.

12. ActionableMango, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

ActionableMango thread starter macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I exempted Apple:

I am seeing "dongle" all over the place, in relation to Apple's adapters:
    upload_2017-2-14_10-2-19.png

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That video with the "Apple Engineer" is absolutely hilarious. If you haven't seen it, do so immediately.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, we also see things like "literal" used all over the place to mean the opposite of that very word, or "could care less" to mean the opposite of the phrase, etc.--common usage of something doesn't necessarily mean it's correct or that it's even accepted, just more that common sense is often enough basically anything but common.

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Dongle is a long standing tech term. It's easier to say and it does sound funny, which is appropriate because Apple removing usable ports is a joke.

16. ActionableMango thread starter macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Oh yes, definitely. My first dongle was a 25-pin serial dongle with pass-through on a PC-XT or maybe a 286. The company I work at uses USB dongles for licensing.

But dongle is a long standing tech term for a physical security/licensing device, not an Apple adapter or cable. Which is how everyone is suddenly and simultaneously using the term now.

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

There were basically two parallel definitions. The first is like you said, for licensing, but the other is for wireless connectivity. I believe the second definition is where the current usage comes from. Early adapters/dongles for the MacBook Pro enabled ethernet connectivity, so it makes sense why that would morph into what a dongle is considered today.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Because it's "cool"...or is that "kewl" these days?

19. ActionableMango thread starter macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Oh, you're right. I completely forgot about the wireless definition. But yes, that's really common too.

Dongle as I see it used today for Apple adapters is very frequently in a negative context.

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

We're way past that now. The correct term is "lit."

Get with it, bro. ;)

"My new dongle is lit AF!"

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, darn it! ;)

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

No need to use such language when feeling "triggered" or "salty." :D

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

First time I ever heard the word "dongle" - or saw one - it was a small piece of hardware that you plugged into your computer, typically via Serial port, that kept you from using a piece of pirated software. The program would check the port to see if the dongle is in place, and would refuse to run if it wasn't.

Now I see and hear people use "dongle" to mean "anything small and wireless that plugs into a computer." Makes no sense to me.

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

25. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I went to bed Saturday night and woke up Sunday morning to find my Brita water pitcher filled with Bailey's Irish Cream.

Ambien strikes again.