I am a high school senior going to college in the fall. Please help me select a MB.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GetOffaMyMac, Mar 23, 2008.

1. GetOffaMyMac macrumors newbie

I am planning to double-emphasize in English (secondary education) and English (creative writing). I already have an eMac, and I absolutely LOVE IT. I've only had two problems with it since last October and those were hardware problems (this is a hand-me-down Mac) dealing with the keyboard.

Recently, my Windows (get your boos and hisses out now) laptop died after about four years of use.

I would REALLY LOVE a MacBook because my Mac hasn't let me down.

Any recommendations? I also don't have a ton of money to be throwin' around.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The low end or mid range white MacBook will be fine.

3. GetOffaMyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Low end? Mid range?

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

One of the two white MacBooks ;). Though at least 2 GB RAM is useful, but you can buy that from someone else (which will save you a lot).

5. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

A decent 12" PowerBook would be fine for writing, and is highly portable.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Get it refurbished; you don't need the latest model.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

PPC is dead now, I'd at least get a Intel Mac. A refurb could be worthwhile, but you can also get educational discount as a student which isn't offered on the refurbs.

8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Low end, mid range. The difference being the proc (2.1 vs 2.4), RAM (1 vs 2), HD (120 vs 160), and Optical drive (Combo vs Super). And the price, 1099$ vs 1299$.

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

The low end Macbook will be fine, although the mid line is the best value if you have the extra $200. You give up a Superdrive, some hard drive space, and memory for $200.

You might also look at one of the refurb units. You can save some more that way. Check out amazon.com also, since they often have $100 off Macbooks, bringing the cost close to the refurb price...

10. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

They still get the job done, and are reasonably cheap. The OP did mention a budget.

A Macbook might be faster, but writing is hardly processor intensive so it would make little difference.

If the OP wants to do other things, the a Macbook would be better, but for what he asked, a Powerbook would be fine.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

A 12" Powerbook will be more expensive than a Core Duo MacBook ;).

12. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I would either get a Low end 2.1 GHZ Macbook or an old PowerBook G4 12"

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I've just checked completed listings on eBay. The 12" PB has gone for $810 and $990 in two recent listings. (listing 1, listing 2)

Whereas with educational discount you should be able to get a brand new MacBook for $999.

14. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Can you wait till the summer? Apple always had the back to school promo with the free iPod when you buy a Mac.

15. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Good grief - it does show that there is a strong market for that footprint though.

APPLE - TAKE NOTE!!!!

16. GetOffaMyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Absolutely, especially considering I have to pay off my car. Forgot to mention that.

(Why am I paying for my own friggin' graduation gift? rofl)

17. jakealdred macrumors member

jakealdred

well considering you will only be doing little
    (well thats what i thought now im doin video editing and graphics design)
    the low end will be great but take in ming college for a couple of years future proffness is always a bonus ^_^
    so even the low end or mid range macbook :)
    -jake

18. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

LOL, I still like my Air though.

19. MacHipster macrumors 6502

For your needs, a low range MacBook would fit you well. I've seen many of my students (university) go into debt due to their eyes being bigger than their wallets. Going through school is tough enough as it is.

That said, good luck on your degree and future career in secondary education! :)

20. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Refurb Macbook will be more then enough for you.

Comes with all the warranty and everything through apple still, and are great.

If you want a superdrive (to burn dvds if you care) I'd go with a 2.2 whitebook refurb. I think they are about 999 now or something close?

Buy some ram from a third party source (you can replace the 1gig with 2x2 gig sticks for under 80 bucks via newegg or elsewhere if you want) and you'll have a kickin computer.

If you don't need a superdrive, go yoink a 2.0 whitebook for 849 refurb. It'll be great for what you are doing :) No need to spend extra cash on a brand new one, the processor difference isn't huge and the 2.0/2.2 are still SR with the better x3100 graphics too (which you won't really need but still)

Just my 2 cents :) Awesome comp for under 1k

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Before you jump the gun, find out what offers your college bookstore offers. Many offer some great bundles (free software, Applecare, cases, etc) at the EDU discount price (most also throw in the free nano that Apple does over the summer). Check it out. :)

Where are you going in the fall? I'm sure their website will tell you more about their computer offers.

22. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Also, hold off until closer to the start of school. A lot can happen in five to six months.

23. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Personally, I'd wait for the MacBook Airs to make it to the refurb page and get one of those. However, if thats a bit out of your price range i'd get the more expensive (mid-range) white Macbook. A little extra money now can add months or even years to the life of your Macbook interms of usability.

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The Air really isn't idea for a college freshman though because the RAM and HD aren't easy to upgrade. Sure it's light, but after that?

The macbooks allows for easier upgrading, and more importantly, leaves the OP's wallet a tad heavier.